Room Temperature vs. Tube amps

Poultrygeist

Re: Room Temperature vs. Tube amps
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jun 2011, 10:59 am »
I'm less concerned with hot tubes and more concerned with the temp of the case and transformer. In my amp the case serves as a heat sink which is less than ideal. The Massey fan is a great help in cooling the case and I don't turn on the fan until the tubes have warmed up.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm »
The best possible thing that can be done for a tube amp is to have air circulating around it. Moving air carries away heat and extends component life. You don't need a wind tunnel, but enough so that it's noticeable.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm »
So it looks like an exhaust fan to outside, near the ceiling would be good.

kingdeezie

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2011, 11:28 pm »
I use a pair of Manley Neo Classic 250's, which has 20 power tubes of the EL34 variety. Certainly not the most tubes for a power amp, but not an insignificant amount either.

I installed a ceiling fan in my listening room, and that seems to keep everything reasonably cool so far with temperatures hitting the upper 90s outside where I live.

I don't notice any ill effect of running the fan on the acoustics or the equipment. I would say that the ambient temperature when everything is on for a few hours is probably around the low 70s inside the room. I keep my thermostat at 69 degrees. 

63 degrees more then likely feels amazing, but is unrealistic unless you are rich enough to have a big enough air unit and run it to obtain that temperature.

datman

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2011, 11:33 pm »
In  my setup, the top shelf of my built in equipment cabinet is vented to the outside using a thermostatically actuated 200 cfm exhaust fan. This keeps my Decware Torii lll cool when operating and helps to cool down the entire amp when it is off. There is a small amount of noise from this but the tradeoff in superior cooling is more than worth it. I live in Southern California so heat can be an issue.

rbwalt

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jun 2011, 11:46 pm »
one might try air conditioning or simply do not listen to music when it is very hot in the room. i find this to work very well because all my gear is tubed and i live in northern va.

r.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #26 on: 29 Jun 2011, 12:28 am »
 Simple Tubes in the Winter, SS in the Summer :thumb:

charles