Some questions about OB subs

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Some questions about OB subs
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jun 2011, 09:41 pm »
I'm listening to my V2's right now (Radiohead), and the bass is pretty dang impressive just from the V2's alone.  Maybe you should get them built and broken in and then see if you even need a sub.  I don't and I've heard some of the best subs around.

Tyson

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jun 2011, 09:44 pm »
Or, put another way - the V2's go down to 30hz STRONG, so you want a sub that will do the bass below 30hz, ideally.  Trust me, a sub capable of quality sub-30hz bass is NOT an 8 or 10inch woofer, and it will not be in a small box. 

A small sub will do 30hz bass well, maybe even a bit lower, but the V2's already cover that range. 

If you have a basement or an attic, you might consider doing an infinite baffle sub, similar to this:

http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/

Examples / gallery - http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/page4IB-Gallery3.html

jrebman

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jun 2011, 09:55 pm »
Tony,

You're right, but I just thought amusing that when I post about lowthers and 2a3s things got quiet.  Just my warped sense of humor at work.  Everybody's got to listen to and experiment with whatever works for them.

Tyson, the small ob subs would not be for the V-2s -- two completely different systems entirely.  Only commonality is that they will both be capable of using the various amps I have, which are all SET/SEP.  One of tthe real attractions of the V-2s was exactly that I wouldn't need a sub per se -- at least not a separate one in a large box.

I also think I've got a plan for the office/listening room system (not V-2s) -- I'll build 2 separate 8 or 10 ob subs and place them well out from the corners of the room, where I have a bit of wiggle room for tuning and where they will be somewhat out of the way.  The room just dictates many of the compromises, but this should be workable enough for me to live with.

-- Jim

Tyson

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm »
Or, you could build the OB subs as stands for your main speakers, and just plop those speakers on top of the subs.  Takes up less real-estate, still gives you killer bass, and is physically aligned with the main drivers, plus gets the subs away from the rear walls, by default.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #24 on: 16 Jun 2011, 09:53 am »
I pulled my sub out from the wall and definitely have more solid output.  I'm not sure I like it better though...  Closer to the wall ( one foot, and it is actually firing into a couch :oops:) it seems to blend better, I can't locate where the bass is coming from when it when it is in that position...

Well the good news is experimenting with moving it out can't hurt... and might be a pleasant surprise. I shouldn't have said minimum, what I meant was it can be better, farther away, than just 3 feet.

How close did you have it? Just to make sure people understand. We are talking about rear wall. Due to the nulls it can be up against alongside a wall. Linkwitz actually recommended that.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2011, 11:38 pm by django11 »

nickd

« Reply #25 on: 16 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm »
Room modes with bass are always tricky. I have an 18" McCauley 6174 in a 16' transmission line. It will make 20hz bass that will frighten children and both large and small animals, however as you walk around the 21' x 14' 6" room you can hear audible drop outs and peak room modes. That's the stuff that always frustrates those of us who really want clean flat bass response. It sounds to me like your tweeking of the V2 sub position is a good way of tuning to your listening position.