The greatest new rock band of the 2000's

wushuliu

Re: The greatest new rock band of the 2000's
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jun 2011, 06:58 pm »
love prog rock too. Getting into Pink Floyd. I have Piper at the Gates of Dawn (interesting) and The Wall (very good). Neither one is particularly getting me going. Can you suggest a better an album I might try next?

I assume you already have Dark Side, so that pretty much covers the two major high phases of the band. The other albums are either soundtracks or much more experimental and lean towards pre-electronica: Atom Heat Mother, Saucerful, etc. Animals is not in any way punk (I don't think punk songs as a rule run 9-10min. long) but man some brilliant scathing lyrics. If you feel wanting a better PF album than the Wall/Dark Side then they may not be the band for you (nothing wrong with that of course).

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #21 on: 9 Jun 2011, 07:05 pm »
Gonna show my age here...the first thought was they sounded quite a bit like early Zeppelin...but less melodic.  I'd much rather listen to SRV, Buddy Guy or Skynyrd.
Too much anger and angst in what passes for rock these days for me.  YMMV   :D
Hibuck....

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #22 on: 9 Jun 2011, 07:36 pm »
Muse.

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #23 on: 9 Jun 2011, 07:37 pm »
Tool is the band of the 1990's. However still the greatest living band in their prime.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #24 on: 9 Jun 2011, 07:46 pm »
For Pink Floyd:
Wish You Were Here
and less played:
Medle.

If you like Wolfmother, you may (or may not) like:
The Slew - www.theslew.net -
The original WolfMother rythym section backing up Two DJ's
(Kid Koala and Dynomite D)
Drummer, Bass player and 6 turntables.
Killer live video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38fwgSPz1Sk&feature=player_embedded#at=46

FULLRANGEMAN - you will probably hate them....but you will recognize the tunes the DJ's use, lost of classic rock.

Also for new rock music:
Cage The Elephant

Matty_J

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #25 on: 9 Jun 2011, 08:19 pm »
I have a lot of 'favorite bands' right now, but they may only have one or two albums out there like Black Water Rising. But I absolutely agree on Wolf Mother being a great band that has the skills, and prove it in their recordings. 

wushuliu

« Reply #26 on: 9 Jun 2011, 08:27 pm »
If you like classic rock and want to hear something new, this is the only place to be. Give either album a few spins and you will be completely hooked. I've been listening to them a few years now, I have an enormous collection, and I can say without a doubt they are currently my favorite band and every song gets me raising the air guitar.

Andrew Stockdale is god. He was born in the wrong decade. His band would have stood toe to toe with the greatest. Both albums positively rip.

I really like that first link. They got talent and b@lls, that's for sure. I'll give them a twirl. Thanks for sharing.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 9 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm »
For Pink Floyd:
Wish You Were Here
and less played:
Medle.

If you like Wolfmother, you may (or may not) like:
The Slew - www.theslew.net -
The original WolfMother rythym section backing up Two DJ's
(Kid Koala and Dynomite D)
Drummer, Bass player and 6 turntables.
Killer live video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38fwgSPz1Sk&feature=player_embedded#at=46

FULLRANGEMAN - you will probably hate them....but you will recognize the tunes the DJ's use, lost of classic rock.

Also for new rock music:
Cage The Elephant
Dear JRace,
Yes this is true.
This DJ combo is too bad indeed, I could not see more than 50 secs. I have heard a bell repeatedly beaten, this stuff are meaningless.
This guys are just like me, no musical talent at all, just a huge desire to play a instrument to a audience.

This is a most dangerous material, it may corrupt the ability of musical appreciation of a child or teenager, which will no longer like higher quality music as Jazz, Classical or even quality Rock.

I already warning my son about that crap, when he was 10 y/o. The music are very important to me.

kingdeezie

« Reply #28 on: 10 Jun 2011, 01:18 am »
Dear JRace,
Yes this is true.
This DJ combo is too bad indeed, I could not see more than 50 secs. I have heard a bell repeatedly beaten, this stuff are meaningless.
This guys are just like me, no musical talent at all, just a huge desire to play a instrument to a audience.

This is a most dangerous material, it may corrupt the ability of musical appreciation of a child or teenager, which will no longer like higher quality music as Jazz, Classical or even quality Rock.

I already warning my son about that crap, when he was 10 y/o. The music are very important to me.

Not that I think that band in the video is something I would enjoy, but I think you are making comments that aren't helpful to anyone reading this thread for legitimate musical recommendations.

Music is very important to a lot of people, for a lot of different reasons. Some people may never get engaged in classical music, or jazz. Some people might hate Pink Floyd. The concept of "higher quality" music is completely based on opinion in your case.

You said yourself you have no musical talent, so how do you judge musical technicality, creativity, and talent if you know nothing of it yourself?

You don't, you simply like the music YOU like, based completely on opinion, which is just the same as everyone else.

There is plenty of music out there right now that is genuinely excellent; and a lot of bands are doing some pretty creative stuff if you look for it and can appreciate it.

jackman

« Reply #29 on: 10 Jun 2011, 03:08 am »
It was already mentioned but I was going to recommend Wish You Were Here.  Great pink Floyd album. Every song is strong and, while not on the same level as their best work, Dark Side, I am always amazed at how fresh it sounds. I overplayed Dark Side a long time ago.

Good Wolfmother recommendation. I like that band!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #30 on: 10 Jun 2011, 03:51 am »
Not that I think that band in the video is something I would enjoy, but I think you are making comments that aren't helpful to anyone reading this thread for legitimate musical recommendations.

Music is very important to a lot of people, for a lot of different reasons. Some people may never get engaged in classical music, or jazz. Some people might hate Pink Floyd. The concept of "higher quality" music is completely based on opinion in your case.

You said yourself you have no musical talent, so how do you judge musical technicality, creativity, and talent if you know nothing of it yourself?

You don't, you simply like the music YOU like, based completely on opinion, which is just the same as everyone else.

There is plenty of music out there right now that is genuinely excellent; and a lot of bands are doing some pretty creative stuff if you look for it and can appreciate it.
OK, obviusly it is just my opinion here.  Otherwise not need to be a musical expert to understand this kind of music or noise collage is not a musical masterpiece in any way, not complex music, not hard to play or compose, just a ordinary tribal soundtrack ad libitum, for a tribal urban community based on the (young) age=inexperience.

It is easy to see at naked eye Pink Floyd and others famous bands are higher musical quality than this guys, but this seems irrelevant now adays, what maters is the fame or amount of fans.

However, it is not important, to be true Iam pushing the situation here, it is lack of respect of my part, I will no convince anyone, as musical taste is hard to be changed etc
I wish to apologize to all, for my arrogance and annoyance in give importance to musical quality to detriment of good standards of living.
Excuses, Gustavo

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #31 on: 10 Jun 2011, 04:17 am »

Wow.

D.D.

wgscott

« Reply #32 on: 10 Jun 2011, 04:24 am »
love prog rock too. Getting into Pink Floyd. I have Piper at the Gates of Dawn (interesting) and The Wall (very good). Neither one is particularly getting me going. Can you suggest a better an album I might try next?

I'm sort of getting back into it after about 25 years.  This time around, without the drugs.   :icon_lol:

Perhaps I am alone in this, but I think The Final Cut was the best, followed by Animals and then The Wall.  I recently purchased Roger Water's "In the Flesh (Live)" off of iTunes, and then bought the DVD from Amazon for $11 and ripped it to 24-bit, 48kHz lossless, and it sounds quite good.  Wish You Were Here is quite good in small doses.

I just tried to listen to Atom Heart Mother on MOG.com and couldn't stand it, and now I am listening to "Obscured by Clouds" and am underwhelmed.  Meddle had its moments.  Umaguma as I dimmly recall, required a fairly large meal of cardboard-tasting mushrooms.  Several Species of Small Furry Animals just really isn't that funny 25 years later.  I did have a renewed appreciation for "Granchester Meadows" on Umaguma, having in the intervening period lived near it in Cambridge and visited frequently.  The fly at the end is accurate.

wushuliu

« Reply #33 on: 10 Jun 2011, 07:27 am »
OK, obviusly it is just my opinion here.  Otherwise not need to be a musical expert to understand this kind of music or noise collage is not a musical masterpiece in any way, not complex music, not hard to play or compose, just a ordinary tribal soundtrack ad libitum, for a tribal urban community based on the (young) age=inexperience.

People said the same thing about Little Richard and Chuck Berry, Black Sabbath and Don Cherry.

My biggest fear about buying albums from rock bands today isn't the music but how it's recorded. I just can't handle the compression/loudness war. My ear is sensitive to it and it just kills whatever depth and nuance these bands may have.

wushuliu

« Reply #34 on: 10 Jun 2011, 07:38 am »

Perhaps I am alone in this, but I think The Final Cut was the best, followed by Animals and then The Wall. 

I used to rank the same in my angst-ridden youth, but now I prefer Meddle when it comes to repeat play. Meddle and Atom Heart are great albums; if a band today made either of those they would be considered brilliant. I also love The Orb/Youth Meddle trance remix...

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #35 on: 10 Jun 2011, 07:54 am »
It sounds like rock and roll..(listened to the two links)

I have never heard them before, but they seem alright to me....after I get my new amp, I'm going to tune them in and turn it up and enjoy...

thanks for the post..Rclark...

Rclark

« Reply #36 on: 10 Jun 2011, 08:05 am »
 :thumb: enjoy! Let me know what you think!

Rclark

« Reply #37 on: 10 Jun 2011, 08:07 am »
I really like that first link. They got talent and b@lls, that's for sure. I'll give them a twirl. Thanks for sharing.

All their songs are that good too! Def buy an album. They are one of the few bands I could have on repeat all day long.

There are also lots of other great recommendations in this thread, I like it!

Rclark

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jun 2011, 08:40 am »
I assume you already have Dark Side, so that pretty much covers the two major high phases of the band. The other albums are either soundtracks or much more experimental and lean towards pre-electronica: Atom Heat Mother, Saucerful, etc. Animals is not in any way punk (I don't think punk songs as a rule run 9-10min. long) but man some brilliant scathing lyrics. If you feel wanting a better PF album than the Wall/Dark Side then they may not be the band for you (nothing wrong with that of course).

I do not have Dark Side (smacks forehead). I'll pick that up tommorrow. My system can actually resolve this kind of music now so I'm excited.

Rclark

« Reply #39 on: 10 Jun 2011, 08:43 am »
Gonna show my age here...the first thought was they sounded quite a bit like early Zeppelin...but less melodic.  I'd much rather listen to SRV, Buddy Guy or Skynyrd.
Too much anger and angst in what passes for rock these days for me.  YMMV   :D
Hibuck....

I posted straight ahead rockers but they've got range for sure. Like I said, if you're into that stuff, Zeppelin, etc, classic rock, and are interested in something new but in that same vein (and tell me, how often does that come along?) then do yourself a favor and buy cosmic egg deluxe version. Heck, buy it used on Amazon. You'll thank me.  :D

JRace - thanks for the lookout!

And listen to the songs again. They are not an angry band. They're more interested in talking to your girlfriend. The music is completely good mood music, or will MAKE you have a good mood. I posted live, their studio versions are ridiculous.