LS6/LS9 Tube or Solid State Amps ?

kip_

Re: LS6/LS9 Tube or Solid State Amps ?
« Reply #40 on: 21 Jun 2011, 04:47 pm »
Umm, maybe not.  That site has been suspended which doesn't say good things about the owner/manufacturer...

Frank Van Alstine has been in business for almost 40 years

pmctexas

« Reply #41 on: 21 Jun 2011, 05:19 pm »
Ultra 550 sounds interesting - Anybody see risk given Frank's age to be stuck without warranty or repair ? Just gotta wonder....
Thanks

Bizarroterl

« Reply #42 on: 21 Jun 2011, 05:25 pm »
Frank Van Alstine has been in business for almost 40 years

Check the link or the parent www.avahifi.com

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #43 on: 21 Jun 2011, 07:07 pm »
Check the link or the parent www.avahifi.com
i am sure it is a glitch, not unheard of in the digital age.  i suspect it will be back up soon.  note i have no affiliation or commercial interest in ava; neither am i a customer.  but it is a stalwart in the industry...

doug s.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #44 on: 21 Jun 2011, 07:14 pm »
Sorry about the bad link.  That is weird.

I have been considering amps for the LS6 for some time and this is where I would put my cash today.  Plenty of power (307 watts into 8 Ohms), Class A front end, 12 output devices per channel and new board layout.  It is also under your budget and has a 30 day trial.  I can't afford the solid state Cary's as well even used.  My second choice is a McCormack DNA500 used and it is out of my range. As stated by Bizarroteri I also am not affiliated.  AVA does have a circle here.

The LS series needs power.  If not a hybrid amp and tubes are you thang then I would consider the used powerful Manleys or Rogues. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #45 on: 21 Jun 2011, 07:19 pm »
Sorry about the bad link.  That is weird.

I have been considering amps for the LS6 for some time and this is where I would put my cash today.  Plenty of power (307 watts into 8 Ohms), Class A front end, 12 output devices per channel and new board layout.  It is also under your budget and has a 30 day trial.  I can't afford the solid state Cary's as well even used.  My second choice is a McCormack DNA500 used and it is out of my range. As stated by Bizarroteri I also am not affiliated.  AVA does have a circle here.

The LS series needs power.  If not a hybrid amp and tubes are you thang then I would consider the used powerful Manleys or Rogues.
the link worked earlier today; i was checking out the amps.  i am sure it's a simple glitch that will be rectified shortly. 

as i posted earlier in this thread, my choice would be different:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95379.msg954348#msg954348

doug s.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #46 on: 21 Jun 2011, 09:57 pm »
If you do consider solid state, I would like to humbly point out my demo (clearance) Onix XIA-160 which is class AB and will drive 160wpc @8ohms and 300wpc @4ohms.  Retail was $3599 and I'm blowing out at $1799, which is below dealer cost.

It's a dual mono design and would have more than enough juice for LS9's.

See stereomojo review: http://www.stereomojo.com/Vaughn%20Cabernet%20Speaker%20review/VaughnCabernetSpeakerreview.htm

Cheeseboy

« Reply #47 on: 21 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm »
Wow.  The prices on used are always astounding me.  Here is one of my holy grail amps for the LS6 on audiogon.  Find some reviews on the DNA-500 from McComack. 

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1313795651

$3700 with an upgraded AC cord.  Getting closer to my zone.

jrebman

« Reply #48 on: 22 Jun 2011, 01:37 am »
If the ability to use after-market upgraded power cords is something you care about, the AVA gear doesn't give you that option :scratch:

-- Jim

Cheeseboy

« Reply #49 on: 22 Jun 2011, 05:33 am »
FYI that has changed.  I was surprised myself.  If you go over to the AVA Circle you can read all about it.  I think it just happened. 

The next thing you know Frank will be posting his "Damping Factor" specs.  It's a brand new day.

pmctexas

« Reply #50 on: 22 Jun 2011, 12:23 pm »
DNA looks interesting I see new DNA-250's with factory warranty available at my price point....
Thanks

jrebman

« Reply #51 on: 22 Jun 2011, 03:05 pm »
Cheeseboy,

Wow, that's pretty shocking actually! :-)

As fior another suggestion, I've not heard the ls6s but one very good PP amp I've heard, especially for the money, is the audionotekits PP el34 amp, and in general I'm not a huge fan of el34s or PP amps, but I liked this one.  I'd probably use kt-77s in it though, myself.

HTH,

Jim

Cheeseboy

« Reply #52 on: 22 Jun 2011, 09:38 pm »
DNA looks interesting I see new DNA-250's with factory warranty available at my price point....
Thanks

The DNA 250 was built by Conrad Johnson after Steve McCormack had left.  It has been said that some of the topology on the Distributed Node Achetecture is intact.  If you can find an older DNA 225 ($1700) it is full strength McCormack.  Steve McCormack does a brisk business updating his older products.  I was considering buying a DNA 225 and upgrading it to his Platnum or Gold spec. 

http://www.smcaudio.com/

Scroll down the page and you can find the cost of upgrades.  You could upgrade two DNA 125 and convert then to mono block and have a rockin good system as well.

My list for solid state amps for the LS6's goes like this.

1) Conrad Johnson used Premier 350
2) McCormack used DNA 500
3) Cary 500MB used
4) Audio by Van Alstine Ultra Fet 550 - New
5) Belles 350 Reference Mark 11 Used (These can be mono blocked) Buy another one when you have the dough.
6) McCormack Used DNA 225 upgraded to Gold by SMC Audio.

I'm sure there are other great products out there.  I have had the pleasure of listening to these.  There are other honorable mentions but these are my short list for today.  I have a $3K budget as well.  The Cary and the DNA 500 are getting close to my budget. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #53 on: 22 Jun 2011, 09:44 pm »
Cheeseboy,

Wow, that's pretty shocking actually! :-)

As fior another suggestion, I've not heard the ls6s but one very good PP amp I've heard, especially for the money, is the audionotekits PP el34 amp, and in general I'm not a huge fan of el34s or PP amps, but I liked this one.  I'd probably use kt-77s in it though, myself.

HTH,

Jim

I was shocked and very pleased at the same time.  I'm an older guy that is very set in his ways.  It took me forever to buy a cd player.  Now I'm finally building my music server.  I didn't throw out the turntable.  It is a pretty good chunk of audio sweetness. 

It was really nice to see AVA make the change.

Steve

HT cOz

« Reply #54 on: 22 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm »
Have you considered any of the Modwright Amps?  They have a very interesting integrated amp coming out soon.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #55 on: 23 Jun 2011, 02:57 am »
I was shocked and very pleased at the same time.  I'm an older guy that is very set in his ways.  It took me forever to buy a cd player.  Now I'm finally building my music server.  I didn't throw out the turntable.  It is a pretty good chunk of audio sweetness. 

It was really nice to see AVA make the change.

Steve

So, whacha going to use as a server? Been thinking of starting that direction myself (just wish you could load SACD in w/o a conversion). Still got a ways to go - trying  to figure out if I want to go the Mac Mini route.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #56 on: 23 Jun 2011, 07:35 pm »
I am going to invest in the MAC Mini approach.   I have a buddy that has two giant hard drives of music that was taken out of a radio station.  I'm just am not sure what to do with those yet.   That is a part of my investigation right now.

Have you worked out the cabling on your LS6's?

I would try one of these instead of chasing cables.

http://www.pacificvalve.us/Doge8.html

I'm pretty sure it has HT pass through. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #57 on: 23 Jun 2011, 07:53 pm »
Have you considered any of the Modwright Amps?  They have a very interesting integrated amp coming out soon.

I just looked at the $5K system in your gallery.  That is a wonderful set up!

HT cOz

« Reply #58 on: 23 Jun 2011, 08:23 pm »
I just looked at the $5K system in your gallery.  That is a wonderful set up!

Thanks but Ruben takes all the credit for that bad boy!!!  :thumb:  That was a great thread!

Then there is the super cheap system, mine :icon_twisted:
$500 Neo-3 speakers -> Acutally AV3-Neo bought kit used and built flat pack.
$1,100 Used Onix H6550 Amp
$450 NFB-2 Dac
$100 Used Squeezebox
Free hand me down Rel Q150E

:lol:

jrebman

« Reply #59 on: 23 Jun 2011, 09:27 pm »
That NFB-2 dac is a realy nice dac -- especially for the price.  I just had mine upgraded with a bnc so I could directly connect my audiophilleo AP2 to it for 24/192 (but have yet to install the wm 8805 receiver chip in it).  That said, it looks like it will actually do 24/176.4 with the DIR 9001 chip, which came as somewhat of a surprise.

-- Jim