looking for my first 'family' car

SteveRB

looking for my first 'family' car
« on: 4 Jun 2011, 09:43 pm »
Hey ya,

I'm in the market for my first 'family' car. I ride my motorbike mainly, but I've been looking for a decent used car for a while now.

My girlfriend has a toddler and I have a dog. I'd like something to accommodate everyone. And i don't really want to spend more than $4000.

Any suggestions on used vehicles? i was looking a Ford Focus wagon but interested in seeing other options.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: looking for my first 'family' car
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2011, 09:48 pm »
Are you reallly an astronaut?

SteveRB

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2011, 10:47 pm »
Are you reallly an astronaut?

Astronaut Glen is an unfortunate avatar i chose in my rebellious early twenties -- AudioCircle will not allow me to change to a more 'mature' handle now...

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0124924/

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2011, 11:24 pm »
I suggest checking out Consumer Reports car buying issue. It also list reliable used vehicles (as well as models to avoid).

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2011, 01:11 am »
4K is likely to put you in a position to look into used cars, and I would recommend a Honda - Civic or Accord should do the trick for a small family.  I have had 5 Accords, and all were reliable cars.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2011, 01:13 am »
For $4K, pretty much everything is going to be a worn out turd, sorry to say.
The best advise I can give would be find what "fits" your lifestyle.
Once you choose a 'kind' of vehicle based on your needs, go get one and take it to the dealer (not Joe-schmo) to have checked out BEFORE you buy it.

Trust me on this one.

Bob

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2011, 02:19 am »
The trick is to find something that is so uncool that it is not worn out but is still $4K.  And I have the answer... grandmom or grand-dads Buick, Mercury, etc.  100% of the Mercury Marquis on the road have a 70-80 year old driver behind the wheel- and they are constantly coming up at estate sales.  Look for a 2002 or older with less than 75 000 miles and you can get a very nice ride at a very cheap price.  You just won't be very cool looking. 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2011, 02:36 am »
I drive a focus wagon for work and am on my second one. This 2004 model has 179k miles on it. Although the suspension is beginning to rattle, other than routine maintenance I have had nothing done to it except new brakes. Got rid of the first Focus with 180K+ miles on it.
I recommend the wagons but they are pricey compared to the standard 4 door.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2011, 11:12 am »
For $4K, pretty much everything is going to be a worn out turd, sorry to say.
The best advise I can give would be find what "fits" your lifestyle.
Once you choose a 'kind' of vehicle based on your needs, go get one and take it to the dealer (not Joe-schmo) to have checked out BEFORE you buy it.

Trust me on this one.

Bob

+1

Consumers Report isn't going to help much (their reliability records do go back several years, but their focus is on recently used).  As they state, by that many years/miles the individual car will (as Bob says in the hands of a good mechanic) tell it's own story.

Unfortunately the "secret" about reliable, higher mileage cars from Honda and Toyota as been out for decades so their used prices are very high.  Kia and Hyundai are developing into the next Honda and Toyota.  They are still hungry and trying harder.  Their used cars aren't quite as iron clad as Honda/Toyota, but would be a better value.

I'd shop for a car by starting with shopping for the mechanic (or dealership).  In a small market, it will absolutely make or break your experience. 

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2011, 12:15 pm »
I would add the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix to the list. They are the same car built as a Toyota/Pontiac joint venture, with a reliable and economical 4 cylinder. My wife had one and put at least 150k miles on it in 4 years and it with no problems. It had a surprising amount of utility as a hatchback with rear seats that fold to a completely flat load floor. It handled a 90 lb Irish Setter and kid shuttling daily.

Tom

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2011, 03:05 pm »
I'd say go for an Accord. And they are rarer, but I think you'd love the accord wagons. I have one and it is great with the dog.

The accord wagons also look great with tinted windows.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2011, 03:46 pm »
I found my 2010 Consumer Report Car Issue. For less than $4K, most of the cars are subcompacts like the Acura Integra 2000 or Subaru Impreza 2000. Between $4K-$6K, there are more choices for family friendly cars: Accord 2000-02, Mercury Gran Marquis 2000-02 and Sable 2004, Nissan Frontier (2WD) 2000, Subaru Impreza Wagon 2003, Toyota Camry 2000-01 and Sienna 2000-01.

I agree with the advice to have the car checked out.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2011, 09:58 pm »
though you can find one for $4k, spend a bit more and get one not so beat, or so high mileage.  i am talking about an '04-'07 (gen 1) scion xb.  fantastic handling car, wery practical, economical and reliable.  be sure to get a manual transmission - the performance is adequate that way.  i love mine, especially the way it handles.  and, my daily driver before that was a hotted up (suspension as well as drivetrain) 3.0 alfa gtv6.   :wink:

doug s.

mcgsxr

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2011, 01:01 pm »
I think the coaching so far is good, around different vehicle suggestions etc, but it is a valid point to wonder about how much mileage is too much for the OP.

How many miles a year do you think the car will go?  Daily use?  Do you have a local mechanic, or will you lean on the dealership (oh, the horror!)?  What bike do you ride - maybe they make cars too (Suzuki does etc)?

patela

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2011, 11:00 pm »
Valid point re: hi miles, etc.  What will you use the car for?  How often and how many miles/wk?

Do you live somewhere where weather is an issue?  If you, you might want to think about a Subaru or one of the AWD Honda or Toyota models.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2011, 12:46 am »
I'd go for a used minivan as most have a lousy resale value so you should be able to pick one up on the cheap. I put 150K on a Dodge Caravan, 100K on a Voyager and now have 120k on a 2003 Town and Country. You can easily remove the seats and use them to haul anything or camp/sleep in them if you wish. I kayak a lot and can carry two on top and a 11 footer inside with the hatch shut plus three passengers. If you ever own a minivan you'll keep buying them. They aren't cool but their versitility is.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #16 on: 6 Jul 2011, 02:19 am »
Might I suggest a motorcycle sidecar for your dog, and one of those cool 'people trailers' & goggles for the little lady and toddler?  8)

Something like this:

You're in for way less than 4k, Dude. :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

SteveRB

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2011, 09:11 pm »
thanks for all the suggestions. I've been looking around but not in any real rush right now. I think I'm stalling bait on making a decition.

anybody out there have experience with Audi A6 Wagons?

i'm looking at this vehicle:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/ctd/2456311987.html

i live about 4 km from work, so i tend to walk a lot. Realistically, I'll be putting about 10,000-15,000 km on the car a year.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:55 pm »
That's gonna be expensive to fix and at that age, prepare to be doing some fixing...

D.D.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:57 pm »
How about a Toyota Camry?