new impoved icepower

trucker

new impoved icepower
« on: 6 Apr 2004, 03:38 pm »
Today I read an article in a scandinavian hifi-magazine, called high-fidelity, about the test of a new icepower mono amplifier with a switchmode powersupply integrated on the same board. They tested two models: 500aps and 1000aps (maybe it was asp instead of aps, can't remember). The former is capable of 500W into 4ohm the later 1000W.

The magazine has previously tested  icepower modules, and have been very positive. They even tried to modify them, and found that futher improvement was possible. However they write that both the new versions clearly beat the older, and that especially the 1000aps is etremely good. The reviewer concludes that he can only think of a couple of very expensive amplifier designs that perform in the same class.
The test speakers were some martin logan electrostats.

The new icepower modules weigh 1.2kg (500aps) and  1.7 kg (1000aps), and dimensions are something like 16X20x6 cm. Icepower is also planning a smaller 250W version.

Because Icepower only sells to B&O and other hifi-manufactorers, it would be really nice if Klaus would look into the possibilities of making a not-to-expensive model. By the way, the reviewer from the magazine was himself looking forward to a future product with the new icepower modules.

I hope this bit of information can help Klaus in his work on a new digital amplifier design.

Anton

new impoved icepower
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2004, 10:19 pm »
Recently a very close firend sold two Jeff Rowland Model 201 monoblock amplifiers ($5,000.00/pair) because he did not like the sound that the amps were producing. When I heard them at his house I had a negative impression as well (the amps were well broken-in before I heard them). According to him these amps use this Ice Power module.

I do not know if this is the case for all amps derived from this or similar technology or design. I have heard other swithcing power supply amps and I have not liked the sound they produce. I heard Linn's top of the line amps with a great gear that included Avalon Diamond speakers and the sound was not up to what I expected from the reviewer's articles in different magazines. The same happened with the Spectron amps.

In fact, the Stratos monoblocks give the Rowland's a run for their money.

I do not know if what Klaus is planning to design will fall in this category, but if it does I would recommend Klaus to be very careful as the Stratos name is gaining acceptance due to its many virtues.

Perhaps I am mistaken and it will come out perfectly well, but, as I mentioned, I have not liked what I have heard among very high priced switching power supply amps.

klaus@odyssey

new impoved icepower
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2004, 06:02 am »
thanks Anton,

but it's really a different animal altogether.  More an extension of the tubes vs. solid state discussion.  Anyway,  we'll see where the new amp fits in for digital amp fans,  and as for the Stratos,  I think that by now it's firmly established.

Late,

Klaus

PS,  I won't use ICE  modules at all.  Got something better,  or so I believe.

StevenACNJ

new impoved icepower
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2004, 10:34 am »
Anxiously waiting for more details on the new digital amps