Erik Buell's new street bike

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Erik Buell's new street bike
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jul 2011, 05:30 pm »
I was kidding as you're in Latvia or someplace like that and I'm in PA.  I think that shipping might be prohibitive...
The race is on as to which happens first: you get back to your S2 or RT Grimm Electronics finishes working on my old HK tuner.  I'm putting my money on your return.
My S3 motor is a good one; the previous owner was Henrik who I guess was Court Canfield's buddy so some strings got pulled and that's about all that I know but I think it's stock except for the intake and exhaust. 
It winds up pretty slow due to the flywheel but man, does it sound great!
I never heard about the H-D/Morini connection.  I guess it's not all that surprising given their involvement in killing Aermacchi off and Mrs. Morini's trepidation about the future of the company. 
A Sportster motor in that chassis sounds like a lot of fun and a candidate for a Telefix fork brace!

If I had an extra 40K or whatever I think an MV would be for me.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jul 2011, 07:59 pm »
hey steve, you are right -  i got home a while ago, and i have been on the buellie several times.  (new helmet, too - i found a closeout on the wery nice shark rsr2 for $250 shipped - killer lid that normally sells for ~$650-$700.)  anyway, i came home unexpectedly early; i was really screwed every which way by my former company - first a short time assignment, then "one more month" for several months, then the promise of work when i came back, if i would stay thru the end of this year, when they would have new work back home.  instead, after getting what they wanted out of me - successful close-out of the project - they replaced me for the required warranty work position w/someone a little cheaper for them.  really a bunch of a**-f**ks.  even my supervisor here in the states was miffed - he wanted me back, and tried to conwince the upper management to keep me, but they said no.   :icon_twisted:  man, i was pissed - coming home to no yob in this economic climate.  sorry - did i yust go on an off-topic rant?   :lol:

anyway, it all seems to have worked out for the best - i was amazingly enough able to find a good yob; i was back at work 3 weeks after i returned, and will be working with my old clients at the nih.  and riding when it's not too hot...   8)

some day, i may have the cases bored on my s2, & install the 1430cc kit w/aluminum/nikasil  jugs and pistons; i have seen this set-up, w/the 1250cc kit (no case boring required) - perfectly streetable - put out 120rwhp on a dyno...

re: the duc dd or mv or new buell, i would definitely be on the new buell if one bike for $40k was the option.  i can think of a few ducs i'd rather have then either the duc-dd or the mv, but they're not that expensive - i could likely get all of them for $40k - new hypermotard, new multistrada, used gt1000.   :lol:

can i up the budget a little?   8)

new - $82k:
http://www.ecossemoto.com/models.htm

used - "only" $65k:
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2010-ECOSSE-HERETIC-C-98144932

ymmv,

doug s.

Berndt

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jul 2011, 08:06 pm »
I loved my hyper. Awesome bike.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #23 on: 31 Jul 2011, 08:20 pm »
I loved my hyper. Awesome bike.
actually, i would love also an aprilia sxv550 - 70hp and ~280lbs v2 motard sounds awesome.  but, my 'tarded suzuki dr650 will have to make do...

doug s.

jkelly

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jul 2011, 09:55 pm »
Jkelly,
Pop the seat on the Useless and check to see if the seat pan is contacting the ECM (especially if you have a low seat on it).  The pan ends up slowly destroying the ECM which is the cause of my agita.  Guess what happened to me and I finally fixed?!?

Thanks! - Yes when we put the EBR ECM on we re-located it.
The guy who helped me went thru a month to figure out that happened to him!

Jeff

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 31 Jul 2011, 10:18 pm »
65K?  Please.  How could you even suggest something so, er, tawdry?  This is NOT the Cheap and Cheerful section, ya know.
Congrats on coming home, Doug, and landing a job again.  Now I NEED to pry that old tuner away from those bozos and take it somewhere else.

That ECM was puzzler and even after I figured it out doing the old Wiggle Test on the side of the road. I refused to believe that could actually be the problem! 
This can't be it, it has to be something else, so what if I can shut the bike on and off by wiggling the connector, this isn't the problem, it must be the ET sensor...
I can laugh about it now.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #26 on: 31 Jul 2011, 11:10 pm »
Too bad this Buell is not a street bike, but a supersport or race bike, for this hi price the single disc brake on front tire, as usual on this brand, is a disappointment.

If it had a Harley engine the cooling is bad on tropical countries, but the 2 valves per cylinder made it a reliable torque plant.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 1 Aug 2011, 01:10 am »
Their rear brake is disappointing but the single ZTL front brake is tremendous and just such a clever piece of engineering.  The front wheel weighs hardly anything and that single disc generates enough power where you can flip the bike over if you're careless.
I've had real good luck with Ferodo pads for the XB front brake, by the way.  The stock pads would lead to pulsing in short order.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #28 on: 1 Aug 2011, 01:14 am »
Their rear brake is disappointing but the single ZTL front brake is tremendous and just such a clever piece of engineering.  The front wheel weighs hardly anything and that single disc generates enough power where you can flip the bike over if you're careless.
I've had real good luck with Ferodo pads for the XB front brake, by the way.  The stock pads would lead to pulsing in short order.
you beat me to it, re: the front brake - it is a masterpiece of engineering: besides its light weight, its circumference is so big compared to a normal dual-disc set-up, that it has no problem generating equivalent stopping force...

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #29 on: 1 Aug 2011, 02:05 am »
65K?  Please.  How could you even suggest something so, er, tawdry?  This is NOT the Cheap and Cheerful section, ya know.
well, $65k is cheap cuz it's used - $82k is retail for new.   :green:  actually, almost everything on that bike is custom machined, and in small numbers.  wery expensive to do that.  when you look at the close-up pics of the engine & all the componentry, it's truly a work of art...

and, it's not the only one - check out the vyrus 984:

doug s.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 5 Aug 2011, 01:10 am »
Check out the video on the engine build and engine test:

http://www.erikbuellracing.com/

That thing sounds really wild.

ratso

« Reply #31 on: 8 Oct 2011, 07:04 pm »
My being cheap first thing i think of is PRICE: this one: $40,000.

$40,000:

$40,000:

HT cOz

« Reply #32 on: 8 Oct 2011, 07:16 pm »