14 volt battery bank

mikeeastman

14 volt battery bank
« on: 31 May 2011, 11:44 pm »
Not sure if this is right place to post, but I know a lot of you run equipment off batteries. I was looking at using a 14 volt battery bank either using a 14 volt battery, like the ones used for racing or big car stereos or making one out of different voltage batteries, 2+12 or 2-4s+6 etc. has anyone either done this or looked into it?

JohnR

Re: 14 volt battery bank
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2011, 11:49 pm »
Might want to ask in the Virtue circle. I think most people are using SLAs.

mikeeastman

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2011, 04:01 am »
I believe the Virtues are all 24 volt. The SLAs are only necessary if you have batteries inside the house, mine are in a special outside room and box designed for none sealed batteries.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2011, 04:25 am »
What would you use to charge the combo?  Most smart chargers, like the Ceteks, are designed to charge 12V batteries with a 14.4V - 14.7V charging voltage.

Steve

mikeeastman

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:35 pm »
I'm looking at a couple of ways, one,. I think with some help from someone with more understanding of electronics than me, I can mod a a solar charge controller to charge to the bank at least 85-90%( solar panels only put out 17-18 volts) that should get the bank to about 16 volts and then I would top off bank with an external charger. Some solar controllers use pots to adjust the out put voltage so I should be able to replace them with different value pot and make it work. They also make a device that they use to charge the 14 volt racing batteries that some how increase the voltage of the cars charging system. I might be able to use it with an external 12 volt charger, but I need to do more research to get it dialed in, also hoped  one of you electronic genius guys might also have some ideas.