Smoking Deal on NOS Reflector 6SN7 Tubes!!!

Nels Ferre

Smoking Deal on NOS Reflector 6SN7 Tubes!!!
« on: 31 May 2011, 01:56 am »
Is this cheap and cheerful enough for you? Here is part of the line from the order I just placed at PartsConnexion:

Tube: NOS_158-69053 - 6H8C/6SN7GT / 6SN7, Reflektor, Grey T Plates   NOS-69053   $6.50

Yes that is $6.50 each!!!!!!!

The Tube Store (when they had them) were selling them for $99.95 each.

Couldn't pass that one up.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/tube_nos_6sn7.html

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Smoking Deal on NOS Reflector 6SN7 Tubes!!!
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2011, 11:13 am »
Wish I knew more about this tube...I could use some more 6SN7's.   :scratch:

decal

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2011, 12:31 pm »
I tried them and found them very grainy sounding. At $6.99 each, one can afford to try them and not tie up a lot of cash.Of course, this is just my impression, YMMV.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2011, 12:20 am »
Got my final invoice today and they took another 15% off...bonus.

There are two types, one with a plastic base (not so hot) and one with the metal base (what this offer is/was and apparently desirable.)

From Brent Jesse's website:

6H8C:

This is a rather difficult to find Russian made tube that is a direct replacement for the 6SN7. This tube can be confusing to buy for the novice, as there are several versions available. The common version has a medium glass envelope and a black plastic base, and are still in production in Russia. They are of fair to medium quality, but certainly are not worth much more than $20.00 each. I have seen these tubes sold for export to the West, labelled as 6SN7GT. THE RARE VERSION, and the one to look for is the Russian military version. This tube has a medium glass envelope, with a nickel collar around the base. It has black T-shaped plates facing each other, with small holes in the sides of the plates. There may be an "OTH" production number inked on the base, and the tube type is etched within a circle on the glass. These military tubes are rare, and are built like the Tung Sol oval plates, with spring mounted spacers at the top touching the inside glass, and heavy support rods for each plate element. These tubes have incredible air and accurate bass, kind of like what a Telefunken sounds like! They are amazingly dynamic, and at the same time delicate, and very quiet. These tubes are actually rarer than the fabeled Tung Sol oval plates, and clients have told me these sound better!

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2011, 12:40 am »
This is really a Sweet Deal.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2011, 12:45 am »
Sorry John, my bad.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:25 am »
This is really a Sweet Deal.

Sorry John, my bad.

We can fix it, we have the technology.

gcos

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:45 am »
Check these out..a much better deal...milspec , high build quality and smooth sounding..I also bought the quad 6L6GC for 19.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-New-matched-pairs-clear-top-6SN7GT-vacuum-tubes-/400208448149?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5d2e484a95

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:57 am »
Check these out..a much better deal...milspec , high build quality and smooth sounding..I also bought the quad 6L6GC for 19.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-New-matched-pairs-clear-top-6SN7GT-vacuum-tubes-/400208448149?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5d2e484a95

Wish I knew more about these too.   :duh:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2011, 11:59 am »
Dudes.  Just buy-em-and-try-em.  $11/pair shipped is peanuts for tubes!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2011, 02:39 pm »
Dudes.  Just buy-em-and-try-em.  $11/pair shipped is peanuts for tubes!

Well, easy to say but I don't want another bunch sitting that I may never use because they're not good sounding. 

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2011, 04:13 pm »
Wow, a couple of really Sweet Deals!  :thumb:

I don't have a need for either of those tube types or I'd be all over this.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jun 2011, 04:41 pm »

Have you tested the 6L6GC's yet? If so, how about a review? :) I really liked these Reflector 6L6GC equivalents.

-Roy

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2011, 06:25 pm »
There are two types, one with a plastic base (not so hot) and one with the metal base (what this offer is/was and apparently desirable.)

Just got confirmation that these tubes are the ones with the plastic base.  Still worth the money but not a steal. 

Good Luck!

Mike B.

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2011, 07:10 pm »
I went ahead and ordered a pair from Parts Connexion. I got their confirm and shipment info. So that was painless. I am on the West coast so doubt I will see  them for another week.

gcos

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jun 2011, 07:20 pm »
Have you tested the 6L6GC's yet? If so, how about a review? :) I really liked these Reflector 6L6GC equivalents.

-Roy
No.... I am still waiting on Blair for my Niteshade NS40 !

Nels Ferre

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jun 2011, 12:18 am »
OK as JTWRace said these are the tubes with the plastic base. Mine arrived today, and replace some the base (non gold pin) EH 6SN7. Even cold, with less than an hour on them I prefer them to the EH. Seeing as how the EH is roughly $15 each plus shipping and these tubes are $8 each shipped, I still did OK.

For those who may be interested here are the differences in the Russian tubes:

These are the most desirable, and what I originally believed these to be. Russian Mil Spec from the '50s. I have seen these priced from $150-220 per pair.

There are actually 2 different types of the less desirable tubes with the plastic bases. The tubes from Parts Connexion are the third (least desirable.) Still a decent deal though. I will be going back for a backup trio (my new preamp uses 2 for amplification and one as a regulator, along with a single EL34.)

I am sorry for any confusion I may have caused.