Bye Bye Tressel..

Mike Nomad

Re: Bye Bye Tressel..
« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2011, 03:53 pm »
Whatever. Simply more sideshow to keep the focus off Auburn.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2011, 04:13 pm »
This says it all.. He might be better than Satan!! :icon_twisted:

"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."  Ouch!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #22 on: 1 Jun 2011, 03:34 am »
Pathetic that a school with so many resources like Ohio State has the cheat.

They've all got so many resources.  What realistically seperates Wisconsin's facilities from OSU's or any other school of that stature?  They may be decorated differently, but that's about it. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #23 on: 1 Jun 2011, 04:30 am »
Yeah, I bet Michigan is licking its chops at the prospect of kicking the Buckeyes in the ass.

Maybe we should call them "O-Lie-O", or "The Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight"   :lol: :nono:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 1 Jun 2011, 11:16 am »
The only thing unique about Tressel's situation is that he got caught. Cheating is endemic and epidemic in all matters of great financial consequence. It's in sports, politics, religion and corporations. The more money involved, the greater the certainty that there is illegal opportunism present. Let's not be naive.

Regulatory agencies are in on it too.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #25 on: 1 Jun 2011, 11:47 am »
Obviously the underground money corrupts big time college football/basketball, like prohibition in the 1920's/30's. 

It's big business and the athletes here are being prostituted (if they're not talented enough to make it to the next step or smart enough to get a "real" college degree).

With the gap in wealth between the players and their handlers, and the impressionable age of the players, it's no wonder that some give in all the temptations.

I'm an MSU fan, but don't like seeing college sports continued to be tarnished like this.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #26 on: 1 Jun 2011, 12:09 pm »
Yeah, I bet Michigan is licking its chops at the prospect of kicking the Buckeyes in the ass.

What does Michigan have to celebrate??  That sweater-vest man had their number for the last decade?  That they were 1-9 against Tressel?  That they will now never ever be able to even the score just a little on the playing field against this coach?

Ann Arbor has its own problems to take care of.  Namely getting that school's football program back to where it should be. 

Randy

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm »

What does Michigan have to celebrate??  That sweater-vest man had their number for the last decade?  That they were 1-9 against Tressel?  That they will now never ever be able to even the score just a little on the playing field against this coach?

Ann Arbor has its own problems to take care of.  Namely getting that school's football program back to where it should be. 

Randy

Michigan fixed it's problem by getting rid of another dirt bag Rich Rod!! But let's not forget (which OSU fans do) the 2-10-1 record Cooper put up against Michigan. Both coaches have tarnished their respective programs. That's what this is about!!

BobC

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jun 2011, 07:35 pm »
Say goodbye to a real dirt bag!!

Dirt bag?  Really?  Yeah, I'm an OSU fan....but seriously people don't believe everything you read, consider the sources, recognize that this isn't real journalism.  More like sensationalism and a media gap due to NFL stagnation.

Was he wrong?  Yes.  Is he alone?  No.  Pick any big time program and you'll find the same stuff.  He just got sloppy and was caught.  Why did he get sloppy?  Who knows, arrogance?  Maybe.  Or maybe he walked a little too far out on the ice to develop (coddle, appease) some young guys, e.g. Pryor, and they burned him.  To me, I believe this was his downfall...compromise to recruit and then keep the specific talent....and then shelter them from the program so they can focus on winning.  Should be the other way around, shelter the program from their bad behavior.

The worst thing, in my opinion, is the fact that they'd sell a championship ring for relatively nothing.  When I think what a ring like that means to most people...it feels like treason.

At worst, his external persona and claimed ideals are proven to be a facade.  That hurts, but I can live with it as I'm already skeptical of anyone who appears perfect.   :?  But a dirt bag?  Not there, yet.

Regardless, its best to cut the cord and move forward.  Otherwise the NCAA reacts to more rumors and speculation, they dig and find some dirt which idiots use to validate the horrible rumors.  Then in order to appear fair and tough they bring the hammer down and cripple the program for years.

It's all politics.   :evil:

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #29 on: 1 Jun 2011, 07:48 pm »
But let's not forget (which OSU fans do) the 2-10-1 record Cooper put up against Michigan. Both coaches have tarnished their respective programs. That's what this is about!!  Logged

I agree with you there.  Cooper never did understand the importance of the Michigan vs OSU game as evidenced by his record.  And you are right about both Rodriguez and Tressel tarnishing and hurting both of these programs.

I actually was referring to a colleague in our office that is a Michigan fan who was feeling all smug and thats when I brought up the fact that Tressel had the Wolverine's number for a decade.

Hopefully, both institutions can put all of this behind them and get back to playing football.

Randy

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #30 on: 1 Jun 2011, 07:54 pm »
Why don't they just shoot the boosters/tattoo shop owners/car dealers, etc.?

Anybody see the ESPN documentary a few weeks back on the SMU death penalty?  What a bunch of idiot boosters and campus president!  The rampant stupidity and ham-handedness of those guys was stunning.

I don't buy the "everybody is doing it" excuse.  If people in the business know of programs doing it, turn 'em in.  Help clean it up yourselves.

Back to Michigan, why they hired a guy with a questionable reputation is beyond me.  What did they expect to happen?
 :banghead:

OK, let the flame wars begin! :flame: :flak:

BobC

« Reply #31 on: 1 Jun 2011, 08:06 pm »
I don't buy the "everybody is doing it" excuse.  If people in the business know of programs doing it, turn 'em in.  Help clean it up yourselves.

Fair comment.  But I don't consider it an excuse, but rather a belief that all big time college coaches walk the fine line in order to be competitive, e.g. attract and keep top athletes with questionable backgrounds or proclivities.  I guess that logic makes them all "dirt bags".

You think a CEO of a company doesn't push the limits of tax code?

I know I speed a few mph (or more) if I'm in a hurry and don't see a cop.

The big issue isn't the "blind eye", but rather the lie hoping the issue would simply go away.  Never does, once there's blood in the water.

Mudslide

« Reply #32 on: 2 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm »
I thought you might enjoy this article about college 'amateur' athletes from JoPa's son, Jay Paterno.....

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/jay-paterno-pay-studentathletes-theyre-already-getting-a-great-deal-766175/

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #33 on: 2 Jun 2011, 11:11 pm »
Now JoPa is my kind of coach: pushes academics, graduates mosts of his players, teaches the basics on the field, donates millions back to the school, still working late into life.

Greed or need as perceived is relative.  The big school football/basketball players are poor compared to "everyone" surrounding them.  And my step sons think they've got it so bad, each with 200 s.f. bedrooms in a six year old house with a/c on 2 acres, satellite TV, high speed wireless internet, their own computer, and they do almost nothing for it.  OTOH, 1/3rd of the world lives on less than $2 USD/day.