bruning discs with track names????

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
bruning discs with track names????
« on: 28 May 2011, 08:03 pm »
I'm trying to put together some demo discs and can't seem to get the track titles on the burn.  initially I used Toast, dragging files straight from my HD. I prefer AIFF WAV or FLAC.
any suggestions?

thanks,
lou

richidoo

Re: bruning discs with track names????
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2011, 08:16 pm »
If you are trying to burn CDs playable in a CD player then you cannot use track names. The CD standard called "redbook CD" does not allow the tracks to be named, either in metadata or in actual filename.

If you want to burn a data disc of files to be opened or streamed with a PC then you can create flac files which can contain the metadata track names. You could also name the files themselves if you wish. You could also burn WAV or AIFF files and name the files whatever you want. But a data disc cannot play in a CDP.

It is possible to put both a redbook session and a data session on the same CD-R. This is called multisession, and can be done by most 3rd party burning software. This would allow it to play in a CDP and be openable by a PC. But it would contain two copies of all the music, and CD is only 750MB, so larger albums will not fit this way.  It is also not as reliable as burning one or the other.

PS I like your speakers.. ;)
Rich

srb

Re: bruning discs with track names????
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2011, 09:21 pm »
I assume you are speaking to discs that can be read on a CD-Text compatible stand-alone CD player, not just computer CD drives.

CD-Text is an extension to the Red Book Compact Disc specification released in 1996.

The CD player, of course, needs to have CD-Text capability, but the CD burner drive also has to be CD-Text compatible.  If you know you have a CD-Text compatible player, you can check the technical specifications for your burner drive to see if it is also compatible.

Steve