should i buy these for fun? bang and olafson mod 60 i think

Rclark

Was in a pawn shop and saw these ancient strange looking speakers, not sure but I believe them to be electrostatics. It said bang and olufson mod 60 on the sticker. $99. Should I pick them for a fun thing or are they junk to avoid?

Pez

Do they sound good? That's what matters, not what anyone here says.

Rclark

I'm asking you!  :green:  they were on a shelf in a pawn shop. Hoping someone has experience with this model.

Pez

Dude NEVER buy anything unless you hear it with your own 2 ears. Who knows what kind of condition they are in. Plus if you took the time to listen to them and discovered they sound like crap then asking us is irrelevant.

Rclark

:wink: I'll make sure they work before I buy them. Meanwhile im hoping someone knows about these speakers.

JohnR

Rclark

Yeah they look exactly like that thumbnail picture. They even come with those stands. Any good you think?

JohnR

Well, they're not electrostatics. Here's what looks like specs for them

http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=658

Question is are you prepared to landfill them if they turn out to have problems.

Mikeinsacramento

That model speaker has consistently been listed on CL in my area.  I think they look cool, and I like the size.  There was a wall mounting bracket option available at one time.  If I could get these with that bracket at a good price, I'd buy.  Want to put them in my bathroom.

Bemopti123

Reading the specs, they seem to be quite efficient and I am sure pretty decent sounding, makes me think of ADS speakers from the mid to late 80s.  On top of that, the cab is prepped against resonances and it is not so heavy.  I would offer less than the $99-but even at that price it sounds like a deal.  Be prepared for possibly refoaming of the drivers.  They would look really good in a decent, modern living room setting, personally would be a waste for bathroom duties...but then some people's bathrooms are larger than my living room.

milford3

Re: should i buy these for fun? bang and olafson mod 60 i think
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2011, 05:54 pm »
B&O is like Bose.  Very expensive and sounds like crap!!  B&O is all about design and looks.

Bemopti123

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2011, 05:58 pm »
I used to think the same and I would NEVER pay for their higher end systems...but I fell for the Beosound 8 and it sounds amazing... even comparing with all the other toys I have in my system.  They make superior products in comparison to BOSE and yes, they are overpriced but for some people looks dictate purchases but my case, if it did not sound good, I would not have bought it. 

milford3

« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2011, 06:13 pm »
Beer me!!   Beer everybody!!

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2011, 06:37 pm »
 Thanks guys. I suppose I'll pass. I'm still building my system, I'm almost onto subs and room treatments now, and I thought that if they were electrostatics I might have found a neat toy to listen to from time to time.

They're just regular speakers in a proprietary enclosure. That's cool, but I'm building N3's. I don't think any other regular speakers would have a chance of stealing my time away.

But if anyone else is interested in these, hell, give me your phone number, I'll go down there and haggle with them, you paypal me, and I'll ship them. I'm sure somebody would love these.

Oh and Milford,  \m/

Bemopti123

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2011, 06:54 pm »
Beer me!!   Beer everybody!!

:thumb:

Need to run down my super and get myself a pack of suds.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2011, 11:32 pm »
I'm old enough to remember those (and the smaller RL 45's).  Typical scandinavian sound of the day (thin, very dry, no deep bass).  Wall mounting would reinforce the bass, but it would still be lacking.  Those must be 30 years old, so they're probably in horrible shape.

The look was sexy, wanted to like them, couldn't.

The best stuff B & O built (in the 70's) were their receivers (good build/sound with great design) and turntables (a tangential tracker and one with very light tonearm, but both required using their cartridges that weren't so great).

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2011, 06:20 am »
B&O is like Bose.  Very expensive and sounds like crap!!  B&O is all about design and looks.

How easy it is to diss a serious company's entire effort in a flippant sentence or two.

B&O is more than that. They were founded in 1925 and have innovated significantly through the last 85 years, in radios, microphones, phono cartridges (they may have been the first stereo cartridge to market and patented the MMC  type) and their ICE amps ain't too shabby, either.

I have heard a mid range B&O system sound refined and very pleasing while being unobtrusive and looking good at the same time. Not for some audiophiles, perhaps, but great for the "real world".

srb

« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2011, 06:28 am »
How easy it is to diss a serious company's entire effort in a flippant sentence or two.

For some reason it has become fashionable to disparage companies like Bose (and now B&O) even if one has never owned their products.

You make a good point with the ICEpower modules.  Although not every audiophile's cup of tea, B&O has made an important contribution to efficient amplifier technology and is good enough for companies like Bel Canto, Jeff Rowland, Rotel and Wyred4Sound to use them.

Steve

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2011, 07:32 am »
I like the Beolab 5, but at $16,000. retail are over my price range. And i have never seen a used pair for sale.
And no you should not buy the mod 60 for fun

guest1632

« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2011, 08:20 am »

Well, a bit more than just design and looks. Yeah, there cartridges weren't the best, but I dare you to take any other cartridge and scratch it back and forth on a record. You won't scratch the record, and you won't ruin the cartridge either. Some of you in southern Cal, in torance, used to hang around Dimentions in Stereo in there peak before they died. Ike Goldman used to demo the tables all the time, and when he would do the scratch thing on records, I would just have shivers up and down my spine. i think that was the time when people were beginning to understand how turntables sounded. I liked the straight line tracking table. Matter of fact, there was some mods to the tone arm to accept other cartridges, like a Denon 103D. It didn't handle warps very well. Strictly a mechanical problem. Not enough upper lateral movement for the arm to move.

I sure miss my Microseche headphones. I always kinda felt they were better than the Stax I replaced them with.

Ray Bronk