Trying to understand the Bryston BDP-1....

jaylevine

Trying to understand the Bryston BDP-1....
« on: 25 May 2011, 11:19 pm »
Hi all,

I've been reading up on this new piece of gear and to be frank, I don't get it (I'd like to but am just not clear what problem this component is trying to solve?)

Not slamming Bryston--I'm a very very happy owner of a 4BSST2 and BP26, which drive Maggie 1.7. The rest of the system consists of a Cambridge Audio DacMagic, fed by an iMac.

The iMac (all-in-one 21 inch) stores my ripped CD in lossless format and interfaces to the DacMagic via an hiFace USB interface. I run Channel D PureMusic on top of iTunes....

I get the value in a higher end DAC (as compared to my DACMagic), but as I read the material, the BDP-1 doesn't have an on-board DAC?

Mag

Re: Trying to understand the Bryston BDP-1....
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2011, 11:55 pm »
My .02 cents. :wink:

As I understand it, the BDP-1 reduces the noise floor to practically nothing. With a computer you have noise even if you think its unnoticeable, an example of this is I have a music software program that allows me to use digital noise reduction. You can hear the difference as the music is contrasted against this blacker background. In the case of my dvd player having the video On adds noise to the audio. 8)

jaylevine

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2011, 12:05 am »
My .02 cents. :wink:

As I understand it, the BDP-1 reduces the noise floor to practically nothing. With a computer you have noise even if you think its unnoticeable, an example of this is I have a music software program that allows me to use digital noise reduction. You can hear the difference as the music is contrasted against this blacker background. In the case of my dvd player having the video On adds noise to the audio. 8)

Thanks that makes sense but I wonder if there is any quantitative measurements to support the theory? Reason I wonder is between the computer and m2hiface to the DAC, the signal is all digital...

Admittedly, I'm not an engineer so I may my reasoning wrong :D

WBimmer

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2011, 12:38 am »
Thanks that makes sense but I wonder if there is any quantitative measurements to support the theory? Reason I wonder is between the computer and m2hiface to the DAC, the signal is all digital...

Your ears are the quantitative measurement device and you will hear a difference.  My BDP-1 made a huge difference over my Rega Saturn that was only being used as a transport.  The music just got a whole lot more relaxed and easier on the senses.  In my times with high end equipment, I've always had CD's and never LP's, but I never realized how digital a CD sounded before and the BDP-1 just makes the music sound at ease; if that makes any sense...

You have to listen to one to understand and not go by specs.

Wayne.

Sasha

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2011, 12:59 am »
Quantitative measurement is jitter.

jaylevine

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2011, 02:17 am »
Quantitative measurement is jitter.

Reducing or eliminating jitter is the reason behind the hiFace interface between the Mac and the DacMagic. So assuming it is doing it's job (at $179), well you get where I'm going. :scratch:

larevoj

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2011, 03:18 am »
This is how I see it...if you are simply looking it on paper its hard to comprehend. I too had a hard time trying to make sense of it but after a careful audition I was absolutely blown away  :)

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2011, 05:51 am »

Jay,

as far as i understand it: jitter is measured at the analog output! for example if the BDP-1 has different external D/A converters the jitter can have different measurements...

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2011, 10:57 am »
I think one of the difficult issues with digital is many feel 'bits are bits' and the rest is irrelevant. I think it is much like any other product in audio though and that is how does it sound? How do you quantify a hugh soundstage, a listen into quality, a black background, a sense of resolution of fine details, an ability to place instruments in space and maintain that space and instrument size  regardless of level. I am rambling but a lot of the qualities I listen for in audio gear are very difficult to associate a specific measurement with a specific result. There are definitely things we as Bryston have learned over the years that we can associate a result with a measurement but there are some that just defy measurement.

One point I would like to make is the BDP was born out of my frustration with trying to assemble a state of the art digital playback system with a plug and play concept. Also I wanted the capability to play the new high resolution 192/24 material that is becoming avaiable. Many of these other approaches are limited to CD quality or at best 96/24.

Ultimately you have to listen to the BDP but so far most people once they hear it say 'OK now I get it'

James

jaylevine

« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2011, 11:06 am »
I think one of the difficult issues with digital is many feel 'bits are bits' and the rest is irrelevant. I think it is much like any other product in audio though and that is how does it sound? How do you quantify a hugh soundstage, a listen into quality, a black background, a sense of resolution of fine details, an ability to place instruments in space and maintain that space and instrument size  regardless of level. I am rambling but a lot of the qualities I listen for in audio gear are very difficult to associate a specific measurement with a specific result. There are definitely things we as Bryston have learned over the years that we can associate a result with a measurement but there are some that just defy measurement.

One point I would like to make is the BDP was born out of my frustration with trying to assemble a state of the art digital playback system with a plug and play concept. Also I wanted the capability to play the new high resolution 192/24 material that is becoming avaiable. Many of these other approaches are limited to CD quality or at best 96/24.

Ultimately you have to listen to the BDP but so far most people once they hear it say 'OK now I get it'

James

I really appreciate everyone's patience with me on this one. Sounds like the only way to settle this for myself is to just go to back out to Audio Perfection and audition one :thumb:

jaylevine

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2011, 11:19 am »
Jay,

as far as i understand it: jitter is measured at the analog output! for example if the BDP-1 has different external D/A converters the jitter can have different measurements...

al.

Thanks. I found a great article explaining why jitter at the digital end causes distortion on the analog end (even if the data is bit perfect...and it has pictures so even a non-EE like me can understand it :lol:)

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/jitter1_e.html

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2011, 12:00 pm »
Thanks. I found a great article explaining why jitter at the digital end causes distortion on the analog end (even if the data is bit perfect...and it has pictures so even a non-EE like me can understand it :lol:)

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/jitter1_e.html

Great article - thanks :thumb:

james

Sasha

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2011, 03:15 pm »
Reducing or eliminating jitter is the reason behind the hiFace interface between the Mac and the DacMagic. So assuming it is doing it's job (at $179), well you get where I'm going. :scratch:
Jitter can never be eliminated.
Jitter attenuation is not a miracle, and having less jittery source to start with is always better and results in clearly audible improvements.

headshrinker2

« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2011, 05:51 pm »
Hey Jay,
Post from a previous CA DacMagic user.  Also using PureMusic.  Tried hiFace- just sold it on Ebay.  Have you tried adding an attenuator to the hiFace?  Makes a nice inexpensive tweak.

Have you had the opportunity to demo the BDA-1 DAC in your system?  One of the best upgrades I have made in a long time. 

Let is know what you think after you demo the BDP-1.  My town just lost it's Bryston dealer so I have no way to demo..

jaylevine

« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2011, 11:49 pm »
Hey Jay,
Post from a previous CA DacMagic user.  Also using PureMusic.  Tried hiFace- just sold it on Ebay.  Have you tried adding an attenuator to the hiFace?  Makes a nice inexpensive tweak.

Have you had the opportunity to demo the BDA-1 DAC in your system?  One of the best upgrades I have made in a long time. 

Let is know what you think after you demo the BDP-1.  My town just lost it's Bryston dealer so I have no way to demo..

I suspect a higher end DAC is in my future; just haven't had the heart to break it to my wife after the Maggies.... :lol: