APC S15 for $250 NEW until 5/17/11 (MSRP $1500)!!!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: APC S15 for $250 NEW until 5/17/11 (MSRP $1500)!!!
« Reply #60 on: 31 May 2011, 04:26 pm »
Really upset I missed this.

??  You didn't.  Shows $299 and free shipping for me.

Rclark

« Reply #61 on: 31 May 2011, 04:32 pm »
I wonder how long for this promotion?

Gopher

« Reply #62 on: 31 May 2011, 04:33 pm »
??  You didn't.  Shows $299 and free shipping for me.

$299 > $230

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #63 on: 31 May 2011, 04:39 pm »
So your point is that the sale is no longer on, and that $299 is retail now?  Then the poster who is very upset he missed the sale is upset over $69??

FYI..I have a couple audio buddies who have had this in their systems and felt it killed the life..too constricted.  It's like anything else, very system dependent..but I would make sure Vann's has return policy...$230, $250, $299..it's still money.

saisunil

« Reply #64 on: 31 May 2011, 04:44 pm »
Most Active Conditioners constrict dynamics - while they may do other things right ... For 2 Ch - Passive Conditioner or Power stip is usually better - that has been my experience too ... With HT - that is a different Story ... in any case - great price ...

Gopher

« Reply #65 on: 31 May 2011, 04:46 pm »
ted,

No I think retail is like $1500 and I'm not complaining about the $70, but I can understand why others would.  It is basically a 25% price difference and this is the cheap and cheerful so budgets can be a bit tight.

I think I agree with your assessment on restricting life.  It wasn't like dynamics were compressed, but musical flow was just not as good and I (and another friend who was helping me with setup this weekend) felt like it made my speakers sound more boxy--upsetting my staging which is already hurting after a room change.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #66 on: 31 May 2011, 05:36 pm »
I have had the APC S15 in my system now for about two weeks(bought it for $230 - thanks Fred!) and I have tried it with everything plugged into the S15 as well as everything plugged in BUT my NS60-SE tube amp which was plugged into the wall.

I could not hear a difference in regards to the dynamic quality either way.  What I am certain of is it has been a positive change for MY system in as much as the floor noise has gone down.

This thread is starting to sound like the EVS Ground Enhancing Thread in as much as some folks thought they were the Bee Knees, while others saw no improvement whatsoever.

In addition, with the $69 difference over the new current price, I can now afford to go to WalMart and buy a back brace to help with the multiple slipped discs from carrying this SOB down into my listening room.

Randy

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #67 on: 31 May 2011, 09:04 pm »
I have had the APC S15 in my system now for about two weeks(bought it for $230 - thanks Fred!) and I have tried it with everything plugged into the S15 as well as everything plugged in BUT my NS60-SE tube amp which was plugged into the wall.

I could not hear a difference in regards to the dynamic quality either way.  What I am certain of is it has been a positive change for MY system in as much as the floor noise has gone down.

This thread is starting to sound like the EVS Ground Enhancing Thread in as much as some folks thought they were the Bee Knees, while others saw no improvement whatsoever.

In addition, with the $69 difference over the new current price, I can now afford to go to WalMart and buy a back brace to help with the multiple slipped discs from carrying this SOB down into my listening room.

Randy
:lol:

So far, I agree with Randy. I haven't plugged in the BPT to the APC S15 which is the next experiment. However, I've seen no decrease in dynamics in my system with everything but the the ULF sub plugged into the APC. And just so you know, my speakers kick arse in the dynamics department  :icon_twisted:

Stay tuned, more experimentation needed. So far, it's a very worthwhile purchase. Last week we lost power for a good portion of the evening. The APC came on and stayed on for about 4 hours. I didn't have system hooked up to it then. I think I will try to just unplug the APC and see how it sounds just running on the battery   :D

Anand.

Rclark

« Reply #68 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:14 am »
Anand's vote is enough for me,might have to jump on this.

Jon L

« Reply #69 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:27 am »
:lol:

I think I will try to just unplug the APC and see how it sounds just running on the battery   :D

Anand.

Haha, that won't work because as soon as you unplug the S15 and battery is powering everything, the fan in the back will kick in HARD and noisy.  If one plans to do this, I feel it would be safe to replace that stock fan with Nexus (or Noctua, or any other really quiet fan) preferably with a fan speed controller to dial the fan even lower.  When I tried this, however, with a good power cord on S15, the difference wasn't really worth the extra fan noise I felt..

As far as dynamics issue, obviously some systems suck way more juice than others.  I run 2 watt SET currently, which is not restricted any any way, but if you were running 300 watt class A amp, I would plug them into the wall via good 20A AC outlet.  Plugging in CDP/DAC, preamp, etc usually works out very well though.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #70 on: 1 Jun 2011, 03:06 am »
Anand's vote is enough for me,might have to jump on this.

I will let you know that my IQ is far lower than some of the touting gurus on this forum! I'll be a student for life.

Anand.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #71 on: 1 Jun 2011, 03:10 am »
Haha, that won't work because as soon as you unplug the S15 and battery is powering everything, the fan in the back will kick in HARD and noisy.  If one plans to do this, I feel it would be safe to replace that stock fan with Nexus (or Noctua, or any other really quiet fan) preferably with a fan speed controller to dial the fan even lower.  When I tried this, however, with a good power cord on S15, the difference wasn't really worth the extra fan noise I felt..

As far as dynamics issue, obviously some systems suck way more juice than others.  I run 2 watt SET currently, which is not restricted any any way, but if you were running 300 watt class A amp, I would plug them into the wall via good 20A AC outlet.  Plugging in CDP/DAC, preamp, etc usually works out very well though.

Yes indeed. I'll have to see if I can drown it out with my 100dB spl's!  :lol: But a fan modification is something that all pro devices need and can be cheaply done. I'm planning on it with a Samson SX1200 in the future.

Best,
Anand.

genjamon

« Reply #72 on: 5 Jun 2011, 01:59 pm »
Well, I just got back from two weeks of vacation last night, with the APC waiting for me to return.  I've spent some time setting it up and listening this morning.  My system - MacMini 2010, Tranquility SE DAC, The Truth photo-buffer pre by Ed Schilling, Dayens Ampino, and Tekton Lores.  I also have a AV123 MWF-15 subwoofer for that ultimate bass extension.  So, high efficiency and low power requirements as with some of the others here. I have initially just plugged everything into the APC. 

Initial impressions are that the APC provides greater instrument/vocal separation and soundstage depth, and maybe some slightly better instrument textures.  It didn't eliminate noise in my system, as I still get a good bit when I turn the volume up all the way on the Truth (while no music is playing).  I think this might be the fault of the Truth's power supply, although the buzz isn't audible at the volume setting where it is reasonable to listen.

It did feel initially like the soundstage was more constricted, but this could simply be due to a cleaner sound.  I still get a soundstage that extends to the speakers and a little beyond when I listen carefully.  It's just a more "controlled" sound, meaning a less "live" sound.  I will need more time in order to figure out what's going on here, and I've just had it in place for about two hours at this point, so break-in is still necessary.

So far, I'm pretty interested in what I'm hearing, almost all positive.

KKM

« Reply #73 on: 6 Jun 2011, 03:37 pm »
Does anyone know if this unit is the same as their H15 model except no battery back up in the H15?

Gopher

« Reply #74 on: 9 Jun 2011, 06:18 pm »
So is everyone still pretty happy with what they are hearing with theirs?  I'm leaning more towards the thumbs down on this thing as is a local friend who heard my system with and without it.

genjamon

« Reply #75 on: 9 Jun 2011, 06:23 pm »
I'm gonna spend time this weekend comparing with and without as well as with only the digital sources on it.  It will have had a week of use by that time, so hopefully enough time for any "burn-in" effects to be pretty well settled.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #76 on: 12 Jun 2011, 01:02 pm »
Ok, final verdict. I like the unit without the BPT installed with it. With the BPT alone, there is more upper midrange detail, sometimes too much. With the BPT and APC, the same effect occurs, although a little more synergistically. With the APC alone, it's well...music! Dynamics were unfeathered in all 3 cases. That doesn't mean I'm going to drop the BPT, just use it in a different system. A very, worthwhile experiment for $279 and in fact, I'm looking at purchasing the APC J10 as it is a mere pittance as well. FWIW, I've had <200 watt draw on the APC, even at peaks of 100dB. This *may* change when I finish building the Transcendent Sound Beasts, which may be hooked up to the BPT or directly to the wall or to directly to the APC we'll see! They have a 325 watt idle for each monoblock!

Anand.
P.S. My BPT-1 that I have been using has a 900VA Lo No Plitron unit in it, but it doesn't have any uber caps, etc..it is pretty much bone stock, i.e Hubbell duplex sockets, regular Xicon type X-rated bypass capacitors for each duplex socket, etc... I'm sure the newer ones (BP-1 Ultra) are a little more refined so take my review with a grain of salt please.

shadowlight

« Reply #77 on: 12 Jun 2011, 04:22 pm »
What is everyone's opinion on plugging amp's into the apc?  I am going to try that once I put my system back together.
TIA

genjamon

« Reply #78 on: 12 Jun 2011, 11:16 pm »
Even though I have a smallish amp (Dayens Ampino) and efficient speakers (Tekton Lores), I find benefit in having amp directly in the wall rather than the APC.  The APC definitely reduces dynamics and soundstage in my system.  However, it does clean up the sound and help with instrument separation.  I currently have everything but my amp plugged into the APC. 

Haven't had a chance to experiment with other combinations yet, but I'm a bit limited.  I don't have an "audiophile" quality power strip, and I have found that my power strips DO negatively effect my sound.  I only have one outlet and two plugs within adequate range of my system.  Right now the APC is in one of them, leaving only one open plug for other pieces.  Hmm, the ever-present equipment logistics dance calls once again...

Jon L

« Reply #79 on: 14 Jul 2011, 11:59 pm »
Been too lazy to take photo of my APC S15 next to my modded Liebert double-conversion conditioner.  The two of them make for a formidable combo, not just in sound quality but pure size and weight :thumb:  BTW.  There are little vibration-damping half-balls under each unit. 

IMG_3940 by drjlo2, on Flickr