Headphone comfort

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: Headphone comfort
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2011, 12:20 am »
I really love how the HD598's look. From what i know they have a nice midrange and is a fun headphone to listen to. You got some nice cans!!

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jun 2011, 02:45 am »
I got slapped the last time I said that!  :duh: :lol:

2gumby2

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jun 2011, 10:01 am »
My Audio Technica ATH-A900 headphones are the most comfortable phones I've ever experienced. I've never had any discomfort at all.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jun 2011, 11:41 am »
I really love how the HD598's look. From what i know they have a nice midrange and is a fun headphone to listen to. You got some nice cans!!

Agree--they do look very nice!!!

saisunil

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2011, 01:43 pm »
I picked up Shure 940's - very comfortable and amazing sounding ...
But of course if you are happy with Senns - stick with them ...

If 598 are comfortable for you then I'd imagine that Senn 600 would be comfortable as well and the sound quality jump is huge ... (ideally with a re-cable) - I may be able to loan them to you - provided you pay shipping both sides :)

I have been thinking - that we should have loaning / trading - where we can borrow an audio gear for a few weeks or a ccouple of months and enjoy it without having to buy ... ideally the loan/trade would be local to avoid shipping cost and hassle ...

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #25 on: 26 Jun 2011, 02:08 am »
I picked up Shure 940's - very comfortable and amazing sounding ...

I've been curious about this model. Can you compare them to the previous Shure models? like the 840's?

JohnR

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jun 2011, 12:47 pm »
If 598 are comfortable for you then I'd imagine that Senn 600 would be comfortable as well and the sound quality jump is huge ... (ideally with a re-cable) - I may be able to loan them to you - provided you pay shipping both sides :)

Thank you, but not so easy with shipping distance/time/cost. Have you compared HD580 to HD600 directly (i.e. same amp etc)?

saisunil

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jun 2011, 11:46 pm »
Thank you, but not so easy with shipping distance/time/cost. Have you compared HD580 to HD600 directly (i.e. same amp etc)?

600 are a major step up from 598 - I could not keep 598 for long ... (they may be just right for someone else ...)
In any case 600 are no 600 unless you change the stock cable to a better after market one - upgrading cable takes 600 for a mid-fi to hi-fidelity ... but 600 is not 600 unless you really amp it properly - I think most high end phones need proper amplification to bring the best out of them. Some people swear that 600 with after market balanced cable and balanced amp is as good as it gets ... to my ears they got as good as recabled 701 with more bass and slightly different tonal balance ...

Of course we have our preferences and unfortunately budget and space constraints ...

940 is a nice step up from 840 - I just sold my 840 for $99 + shipping - they were quite good - surprisingly good - but they are slightly uncomfortable on the head-band ... 940 have all the good qualities of 840 - but they are better all around (more detail) - slightly lighter, more comfortable - easy on the headband and velor earpads ... they are more expensive too ...

Are 600 better than 940 - yes, recabled 600 were quite a bit better than 940 ... but 940 are more comfortable, closed type, much easier to drive - hook them up to ipod and enjoy the tunes and are just more portable .... you can do that with 600 too but they won't sound their best ... 940 are no fuss phones ... and I like them for that ...

I feel there is a need for "Trade/Rent/Swap" hifi stuff ...  with no obligation to buy ... my hi-fi journey has been nothing but educational for me ... albeit - a very expensive one ...

Cheers
Sunil.

PS: The best bet would be local exchange - where no shipping is involved ...

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #28 on: 30 Jun 2011, 06:25 pm »
Thanks for the quick comparison Sai, i've been interested on a new pair of headphones.  :thumb:

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #29 on: 7 Jul 2011, 09:27 pm »
try Koss Porta Pro--about $45 on Amazon I forget I'm wearing them even without music

Just got a pair of these this week direct from Koss using a 20% coupon they sent me, and I gotta say I'm fairly impressed with these relatively inexpensive little guys... open, airy sound with great soundstaging and decent bass. Very comfortable (been wearing them all afternoon) and open design is perfect at work so I can still hear when someone is calling or knocking on my door.  Got them primarily for listening when out of town (though I'll still use my IEMs for the airplane when better isolation is needed).

Dig the cool retro look and lifetime warranty too.

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^pt^PortaPro