What would it take to convert the x-voce to a sealed or ported center channel??

Danny Richie

The placement of the bracing ....is set up to be just outside the tweeter and inside the woofers....is there a sound quality reason not to space them out to say almost centered over  the woofers?

It keeps the reflective surface of the brace out from behind the woofer.

The reason for this would be to put the crossover  in the space behind the tweeter instead of splitting it in half and having it behind each woofer.

I just mount it all on one board and put it right behind one woofer.

I would then put the terminal cup centered too ( behind the tweeter).

Got any internal pics of the  best way you like to lay out the internal stuff? I am going to need to order some acoustic foam too...i am embarrassed to say that 3 years ago or so when i built this, i used eggcrate foam and car audio door deadened...

Order a sheet of No Rez, and I'll discount some tube connectors to you and throw in the new (much better sounding) wire for free. That stuff will make a really nice improvement.

minisq

If i don't finish this weekend, i will place that order...thanks!!

minisq

decided to go for it this weekend...al the original wire is being replaced with some canare wire that i had laying around...and i had purchased some acoustic foam to try and absorb the back wave of the X-voce, so i am re purposing that for this project. its not "no-rez", but i am going to dampen the 2 side panels with some dynamat, so the foam is no the only damping i am using. I have the tweeter X-over on the left side under a second layer of foam, and i will do the same with the woofer crossover on the right. Terminal cut is in the center, and behind a second layer of foam.

Had to post this just to get some credibility

back after the hall of shame photo earlier :D

Here is the clamped up version...

« Last Edit: 22 May 2011, 04:09 pm by minisq »

minisq

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Looks great!  Does it sound any better?

minisq

Looks great!  Does it sound any better?

Thanks, I actually think it sounds noticeably smoother, and more "vocally correct"....but maybe its a placebo effect because i think it should sound better in the right size box, and with the baffle and braces properly rounded off.

Now i just need to lower the top shelf about 5" to put things back in the right balance...the opening was built to house the x-voce.

Danny Richie

Another thing that will really help is if you pulled it out to the edge of the shelf. If not then that little edge of the shelf sticking out past the front of the speaker will actually cause quite a disruption in the response.

minisq

and since noone seems interested in buying my X-voce...and the thought of it sitting around collecting dust kind of bums me out...I think i may entertain the idea of making it into a X-static....if i find a second x-voce. Are they the same beast? same crossover? Or would i be looking at a buying a pair of upgraded crossovers?

I will build the boxes....and the baffle.

Danny Richie

and since noone seems interested in buying my X-voce...and the thought of it sitting around collecting dust kind of bums me out...I think i may entertain the idea of making it into a X-static....if i find a second x-voce. Are they the same beast? same crossover? Or would i be looking at a buying a pair of upgraded crossovers?

All you'd need is an X'Statik crossover, and I have tons of those. Then you can buy all the parts for a single X-Statik (cheap) and build out a pair.

minisq

I am interested....can you PM me the pricing?

richeydog

I don't think I've seen anyone build a pair of x-statiks on this forum. I would be great if you could provide pics/details if you decide to go through with this project.  :D

Danny Richie

Welcome to AC richeydog.

minisq

I don't think I've seen anyone build a pair of x-statiks on this forum. I would be great if you could provide pics/details if you decide to go through with this project.  :D

if it works out then sure i could start a build thread...I have a 48" x 24" x 2.5" slab of mahogany that i would use for the baffle...and i may use one of the Parts express curved 1 cu ft boxes for the 2 woofers....i think that would look cool. I would bi-wire and hide all the crossovers behind the av rack.

Since i have an 18" subwoofer...and this is almost 100% home theater ...i am wondering if i need both 6 1/2" woofers in the lower cabinet...maybe just one woofer to let me lower the overall speaker height from 48" to 40".

richeydog

Welcome to AC richeydog.
Thanks for the welcome, Danny. I was a regular at AV123 until they closed shop. Just thought I'd check this place out and learn a few things from the diy crowd.  :)

Danny Richie

Thanks for the welcome, Danny. I was a regular at AV123 until they closed shop. Just thought I'd check this place out and learn a few things from the diy crowd.  :)

Yes, I thought I recognized the name.