How do I make a Larger Sub an 8 ohm load?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 3 Apr 2004, 10:58 pm »
Brian,

Now that I have my Larger sub (thank you), how do I make it an 8 ohm load?  I think it is a 4 ohm load in the configuration I received it in.

Thanks,

George

rosconey

« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2004, 11:23 pm »
does it have one or 2 pair of binding posts-
large should only be 4 ohm if running a single pair of posts (mono)-
hook each woofer up to a set of posts for 8 ohm(stereo,2 channel mono)-
at least thats what my manual says-
you will also need 2 crossovers to do this, if you have a mono setup, open up sub and look for 2 crossovers   , unless your pre does sub crossover duty-
if so just run wires from drivers to posts and check with a 9 volt battery, woofer will move out when hooked up right.

hope that was some help :o

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2004, 11:30 pm »
Roscoeny,

Thanks for the reply.

It has two sets of binding posts (so I guess it is already 8 ohms) - sweet!

I don't believe the sub comes with a crossover.  For right now I will just use the crossover in my pre/pro.  If I decide to use it in my 2 channel setup I will most likely get a Marchand crossover.

So if I understand you correctly, I would just run one channel to one set of binding posts and the other channel to the other set of posts.

If I ran jumpers between posts on the Larger does that make it a 4 ohm load?

I want to experiment and see which way the Larger sounds better with my Adcom GFA-555 Mk II:

1.  Running as stero amp
2.  Running as a mono amp

George

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
lsw
« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2004, 12:05 am »
With two inputs the LSW presents two 8 Ohm loads to an amp.  Jumper the binding posts together (red to red, black to black) for a 4 Ohm load.
Your processor will give you a 12 dB/oct 80Hz characteristic if it follows standard practice.

rosconey

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2004, 12:06 am »
take ten minutes and remove a woofer so you can take a look inside-make sure they are wired properly.its better safe than sorry-you never know there may be crossovers.

ive tried bolth ways and like stereo(8ohm)  better,its too loud for music in mono with one mono block at 4 ohms but kicks ass for movies. tried 8 ohm mono also(i have stereo and mono outs for lfe on my yamaha )can you bridge your amp into mono?or do you plan on useing one channel at 4 ohms load?

also do you have anything heavy around you can place on top :roll:  :oops:  :lol:
anyway some weight on top makes a difference-100lbs min
i made a marble top

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2004, 05:30 am »
zybar
there is no passive XO, no need to look.  I virtually gaurantee your amp will sound markedly better 8 Ohms stereo vs. 4 Ohm mono.  The 8 Ohm dist specs are always lower, often if not always exponentially.

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2004, 04:48 am »
What about 16ohms?  I've got mine wired in series.  Is this okay?

rosconey

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2004, 10:34 am »
it doesnt have a 16 ohm way to wire it up in the manual so i'm not sure-
i would try it at 8 ohm stereo just to see if its a improvement.
is it wired like that because you only have 1 channel for power?

nathanm

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2004, 08:08 pm »
No I've got a two channel amp, but now I have two subwoofers and I wired each side's drivers in series, so there's two 16ohm mono subs.  I am still not entirely sure about this whole impedance business and what it means in the 'real world', but that's nothing new. Heh!  It seems that the amp delivers more watts if the impedence is a low number and less if it is high but if that means 8ohms is louder than 16 given the same input signal I am not sure.