Any Cheap & Cheerful Chinese Speakers?

Ultralight

Re: Any Cheap & Cheerful Chinese Speakers?
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2011, 04:44 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Very instructive.  By Chinese made, I actually meant speakers literally sold in China.  I'm here currently and and thought I'd check out what's available locally while I'm here.   I think Hi-Vi is probably the most well known and respected brand that is widely available here. 

Few quick comments:

1. The Usher S520 look very interesting as a sort of a ProAc clone.  I spoke with a tube amp manufacturer who suggested that I audition a pair of speakers that were the ProAc clones.  Looking at the specs, look almost identical to the Ushers.

2. Bestbuy pair - do those have concentric drivers - meaning is the tweeter in the middle of the woofer?  That should image great at close distances. Under $90?

3. I'm a bit of a collector of USB powered speakers.  They have improved slowly but surely.  Picked up a pair on this trip that is CLEARLY the best USB powered yet.   Really quite remarkable.  I'll have to compare with my B&W MM-1 desktop. Obviously not nearly the same power nor have the same bass extension but it feels almost like a miniature B&W MM-1.  It's the first USB speaker that reproduces with musicality that I can listen for hours. It also images wider than the speaker.  Really remarkable considering USB port only puts out 0.5 amp max. 

UL

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2011, 07:48 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Very instructive.  By Chinese made, I actually meant speakers literally sold in China.  I'm here currently and and thought I'd check out what's available locally while I'm here.   I think Hi-Vi is probably the most well known and respected brand that is widely available here. 

Few quick comments:

1. The Usher S520 look very interesting as a sort of a ProAc clone.  I spoke with a tube amp manufacturer who suggested that I audition a pair of speakers that were the ProAc clones.  Looking at the specs, look almost identical to the Ushers.

2. Bestbuy pair - do those have concentric drivers - meaning is the tweeter in the middle of the woofer?  That should image great at close distances. Under $90?

3. I'm a bit of a collector of USB powered speakers.  They have improved slowly but surely.  Picked up a pair on this trip that is CLEARLY the best USB powered yet.   Really quite remarkable.  I'll have to compare with my B&W MM-1 desktop. Obviously not nearly the same power nor have the same bass extension but it feels almost like a miniature B&W MM-1.  It's the first USB speaker that reproduces with musicality that I can listen for hours. It also images wider than the speaker.  Really remarkable considering USB port only puts out 0.5 amp max. 

UL
i forgot about hi-vi.  these are wery nice; i owned a pair of swans m2's a long while ago, quite nice, if a bit fat in the bass - they actually sounded better crossed over to vmps larger subs at 125hz than at 60-80hz, as the subs were not as ripe, if you can believe that...  my step-brother is wery happy with them combined w/a sharp digital receiver i suggested he pair them with, as this amp's characteristics are a good match, imo.

if i were in china, i would really be wanting to audition the jungson's and the aurum cantus'

doug s.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2011, 11:40 pm »
The Silverline Minuets for $600 a pair were pretty good....

Make sure, though, that you try the Minuet Supremes. They're the latest update to the model and said to be better in several ways.