Any Cheap & Cheerful Chinese Speakers?

Ultralight

Any Cheap & Cheerful Chinese Speakers?
« on: 13 May 2011, 05:51 am »
I see that there are lots of China made tube amps available from dealers and ebay.   Some of the more popular ones include Ming Da, Jolida, Yaqin etc.

Is there an equivalence in speakers from China?  I don't seem to see and am curious.

UL

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Re: Any Cheap & Cheerful Chinese Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2011, 12:28 pm »
Not exactly what you are asking for, but you may want to check out Hsu Research.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/speakers.html

santacore

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2011, 01:26 pm »
Yes, check out Sheng Ya, or other offerings from Grant Fidelity. I own the V-218's, and like them quite a bit.

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2011, 02:36 pm »
I really liked this inexpensive system from Napa Acoustics recently demoed at AXPONA. Sounded awesome in my home in a small space. Only $399 for hybrid integrated 25wpc amp and $199 for speakers.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2011, 08:01 pm »
usher s-520's compare favorably with much more expensive speakers.  i find them easily in the same league w/the likes of proac 1sc's, for example...

http://www.usheraudiousa.com/products/loudspeakers/usher-series/s-520-shielded

doug s.

steve k

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2011, 09:29 pm »
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+6-1/2%22+Bass-Reflex+Bookshelf+Speakers+(Pair)/7705307.p?id=1138085354138&skuId=7705307

These are amazing speakers for the price--two-way with woven carbon fiber cones. There was quite a buzz about these a few years ago on AC if you check the archives. There were so many audiophiles buying these that BB doubled the price.  :duh: Even at twice the price, I don't think there's anything out there that will beat them.

steve

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2011, 09:48 pm »
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+6-1/2%22+Bass-Reflex+Bookshelf+Speakers+(Pair)/7705307.p?id=1138085354138&skuId=7705307

These are amazing speakers for the price--two-way with woven carbon fiber cones. There was quite a buzz about these a few years ago on AC if you check the archives. There were so many audiophiles buying these that BB doubled the price.  :duh: Even at twice the price, I don't think there's anything out there that will beat them.

steve

I bought these for my niece and then gave her our little tube integrated.She thinks Uncle Bill is really cool. :lol:

steve k

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2011, 09:57 pm »
I bought these for my niece and then gave her our little tube integrated.She thinks Uncle Bill is really cool.

This worked for my girlfriend too with a little Norh tube preamp and a Class D Audio amp that I built for her.  :green:

srb

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2011, 09:58 pm »
I was interpreting the topic to be about Chinese-based companies producing bargain speakers, like the aformentioned "Ming Da, Jolida, Yaqin etc." type of company.

If the topic is going to be Cheap & Cheerful Speakers made in China, the list would be huge, as probably nearly half of all speakers are manufactured in China.

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2011, 02:06 am »
I saw some at Walmart that ........

Wait...

What was the question?  :scratch:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2011, 02:10 am »
I was interpreting the topic to be about Chinese-based companies producing bargain speakers, like the aformentioned "Ming Da, Jolida, Yaqin etc." type of company.

If the topic is going to be Cheap & Cheerful Speakers made in China, the list would be huge, as probably nearly half of all speakers are manufactured in China.

Steve

Thanks Steve, you're absolutely correct.  We've had Sheng Ya speakers recommended, which although look awesome, are priced at $1900/pair, hardly cheap and cheerful, and a variety of nice bargains that are not China based manufacturers.  Thanks to the contributors for their efforts, but not really what the OP was looking for.

So I tried a few quick searches and come up with very little that looks suitable.  Lots of pro type PA speakers, lots of USB and Ipod types, but nothing in the audiophile vein.  I assume the "white van" class of speakers are made in China as well, but they pretend to be of USA origin.  I can't blame the posters so far for not coming up with anything, perhaps there isn't.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2011, 04:27 am »
...I can't blame the posters so far for not coming up with anything, perhaps there isn't.
usher is a chinese company.

doug s.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2011, 06:32 am by doug s. »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2011, 04:31 am »
but Hsu is not!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2011, 07:13 am »
more cheap-n-cheerful speakers from china (as well as more expensive stuff):

http://cattylink.com/page124.html

http://www.nysound.com/exec/servlet/CategoryServlet?action=shopping&category=25

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2011, 07:16 am »
but Hsu is not!
no one said it was.  (not me, anyway.)  i was simply addressing the comment that was made about posters not coming up w/anything from china companies.

doug s.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2011, 02:30 pm »
Thank you very much for your contribution Doug, and let me be clear that I'm asking questions here as I have no direct knowledge of the facts (sometimes you have to say that on the internet to be clear that you're not trying to be a jerk).  But isn't Usher a Taiwanese company?  Not to be splitting hairs about what is Chinese and what isn't, just looking for the info.

And the second post with the links.  Again asking a question, the speakers listed look an awful lot like the "white van" variety.  I know there was no requirement to be an advocate of the relative quality of the speakers in the OP's question, but do you know anything about the speakers?  You definitely dug up some products manufactured by Chinese companies, do you know anyone who has them?

Thanks again for putting up with my impertinent questions.   

usher is a chinese company.

doug s.

more cheap-n-cheerful speakers from china (as well as more expensive stuff):

http://cattylink.com/page124.html

http://www.nysound.com/exec/servlet/CategoryServlet?action=shopping&category=25

doug s.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2011, 02:50 pm »
Those Best Buy Insignia speakers can be upgraded with a kit Danny Richie makes.

Quad makes a number of its speakers in China. You can often find used 11L or 12L2 speakers selling for under $500.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2011, 04:01 pm »
Thank you very much for your contribution Doug, and let me be clear that I'm asking questions here as I have no direct knowledge of the facts (sometimes you have to say that on the internet to be clear that you're not trying to be a jerk).  But isn't Usher a Taiwanese company?  Not to be splitting hairs about what is Chinese and what isn't, just looking for the info.

And the second post with the links.  Again asking a question, the speakers listed look an awful lot like the "white van" variety.  I know there was no requirement to be an advocate of the relative quality of the speakers in the OP's question, but do you know anything about the speakers?  You definitely dug up some products manufactured by Chinese companies, do you know anyone who has them?

Thanks again for putting up with my impertinent questions.   
you may be right about usher - mebbe it's taiwanese; i dunno.  (i will be surprised it taiwan isn't part of china in the not too distant future; if not in my lifetime, certainly in my kid's lifetime.  you think anyone will stop 'em?   :o  sorry if this is a bit off topic and too political - moderators - feel free to delete this part of my post.)

regarding the other speakers, mebbe some offerings are low quality; like anything else, there's likely quite a range of quality.  tho, imo, the overwehlming majority of what's on those sites look far better than any 'white-van" type speakers i have ever seen.  i do know that some models have been re-badged by mark levinson and sold for 3-4 times asking price of the original mfr's...   :o  i have a nice li'l korsun integrated i picked up used for a good price; korsun (now dusson) was selling it for ~$250.  mark levinson was selling the identical iteration - no changes inside whatsoever - for $2500.  i don't have an issue supporting chinese companies that are out competing honestly, trying to make a living.  but, practices like done by mark levinson are not my cuppa.   :roll:

ymmv,

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2011, 04:04 pm »
Those Best Buy Insignia speakers can be upgraded with a kit Danny Richie makes.

Quad makes a number of its speakers in China. You can often find used 11L or 12L2 speakers selling for under $500.
the usher s520 is a better choice than the quads, imo - even if the price were the same...

doug s.

TONEPUB

« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2011, 04:09 pm »
The Silverline Minuets for $600 a pair were pretty good....