B100 SST vs Separates

headshrinker2

Re: B100 SST vs Separates
« Reply #60 on: 25 Jun 2011, 09:20 pm »
Greetings all.  My S/H B100SST sold pretty quickly on the used market.  I got back what I paid for it, so I am content.  I decided to pick up a 4BSST (on it's way) to go with the BP25.

GaryArthur

« Reply #61 on: 26 Jun 2011, 07:01 am »
Great, enjoy the 4B-SST.

headshrinker2

« Reply #62 on: 26 Jun 2011, 08:40 pm »
Thanks GaryArthur,
I look forward to the music!

SoundGame

« Reply #63 on: 26 Jun 2011, 11:44 pm »
Greetings all.  My S/H B100SST sold pretty quickly on the used market.  I got back what I paid for it, so I am content.  I decided to pick up a 4BSST (on it's way) to go with the BP25.

A big congrats to you.  I very much look forward to getting your impressions of what improvements the new pre/power offer over and above the B100SST, as I faced the same choice before going with a similar combination to you.  Cheers!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #64 on: 27 Jun 2011, 07:46 pm »

:thumb: Cool, enjoy.

headshrinker2

« Reply #65 on: 28 Jun 2011, 03:52 pm »
Thanks guys.  I will definitely let you how things work out.  I'm definitely excited.  UPS man brought the BP25 today.  The 4BSST seller has been slow on his shipping.  Hopefully will be sent today.  Trying to be patient....

SoundGame

« Reply #66 on: 28 Jun 2011, 05:15 pm »
Thanks guys.  I will definitely let you how things work out.  I'm definitely excited.  UPS man brought the BP25 today.  The 4BSST seller has been slow on his shipping.  Hopefully will be sent today.  Trying to be patient....

I'm expecting you'll be hearing slam, slam and more slam when you get 'er all hooked up.  It's sooo exciting.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #67 on: 29 Jun 2011, 01:33 am »
I'm expecting you'll be hearing slam, slam and more slam when you get 'er all hooked up.  It's sooo exciting.

:rock:

headshrinker2

« Reply #68 on: 12 Jul 2011, 02:02 am »
The 4BSST arrived today.  Spent the past few hours doing some initial listening.  I am absolutely thrilled!  Going through many, many recordings with a giant smile on my face.   I have a feeling I'm not going to be getting much sleep tonight :)

Tonight:
NAD451 CDP (analog out)
BP25 Preamp
B4SST
Totem Arro
(modest interconnects and speaker wire from AQ and Kimber)

Tomorrow I will add Apple TV(2), hires files from MBP, and BDA-1 to the equation!

I'm glad I managed to bring the 4BSST home from my office, unpack it, and put it on my audio rack without throwing my back out! 

SoundGame

« Reply #69 on: 12 Jul 2011, 02:14 am »
So, don't keep us in expectation.  How does it sound vs. the B100SST?  Can you tell there's more headroom, given your listening habbits and speakers?  I know your speakers don't demand too much power - so that will be interesting.

1oldguy

« Reply #70 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm »
So, don't keep us in expectation.  How does it sound vs. the B100SST?  Can you tell there's more headroom, given your listening habbits and speakers?  I know your speakers don't demand too much power - so that will be interesting.
Yes do tell.....:-}

headshrinker2

« Reply #71 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:55 pm »
Morning guys/gals,
I promise to report back on my new BP25/B4SST adventures as soon as I've had the chance to do a bit more listening.  The short answer- no regrets upgrading from B100SST to these separates. 

SoundGame

« Reply #72 on: 12 Jul 2011, 01:10 pm »
Morning guys/gals,
I promise to report back on my new BP25/B4SST adventures as soon as I've had the chance to do a bit more listening.  The short answer- no regrets upgrading from B100SST to these separates.

Waiting for the mini-review headshrinker2... :drool:

headshrinker2

« Reply #73 on: 13 Jul 2011, 01:34 pm »
Very pleased so far with my current system.  It is not "finished" (whatever that means!), but rather a work in progress. 

Bryston BP25 Pre
Bryston 4BSST
Bryston BDA-1 DAC
NAD C541 CDP
MacBook Pro (Pure Music software), toslink
Totem Arro Floorstanding
Mix of Kimber Hero XLR, AQ King Cobra XLR, Wireworld Starlight digital, and AQ Type 4 speaker wire
Stock power cords. 
Wiremold Power Strip.

In general, I am finding the music to be very satisfying.  As expected, the overall sound is neutral and transparent- but not lean.  Bass is strong and well-controlled, without being overhyped.  Indeed, no part of the frequency range seems pushed or enhanced.  Vocal and acoustic instruments are quite realistic and full-bodied- but I wouldn't describe things as "warm".  At times, I am wishing strings were just a touch warmer.  Nice deep soundstage- can definitely get a sense of the room/hall on most recordings.   System is easy to listen to for extended periods of time- my ears are not getting fatigued.  I find the upper register to be harsh only on (familiar) recordings that started out that way. 

I'm getting very good results from analogue out of NAD CDP, but really wonderful results from toslink/MacBook Pro/BDA-1.  If you've never tried it, Pure Music is a definite upgrade from iTunes on the Mac.  Red Book files, while just a touch noisy/hashy from the toslink, are extremely satifying.  Hires files (e.g. hdtracks) are just siblime. 

Things I am considering in the short run:
(1) upgrading my source.  Either upgrading CDP, trying BDP-1, or investing in a good asynchronous USB converter for my MBP.  Everything I have read suggests USB should be superior to toslink.
(2) auditioning some better IC's and speaker wire to see what they bring to the party.  I'm going to let my ears decide on this issue. 

SoundGame

« Reply #74 on: 13 Jul 2011, 01:40 pm »
Very pleased so far with my current system.  It is not "finished" (whatever that means!), but rather a work in progress. 

Bryston BP25 Pre
Bryston 4BSST
Bryston BDA-1 DAC
NAD C541 CDP
MacBook Pro (Pure Music software), toslink
Totem Arro Floorstanding
Mix of Kimber Hero XLR, AQ King Cobra XLR, Wireworld Starlight digital, and AQ Type 4 speaker wire
Stock power cords. 
Wiremold Power Strip.

In general, I am finding the music to be very satisfying.  As expected, the overall sound is neutral and transparent- but not lean.  Bass is strong and well-controlled, without being overhyped.  Indeed, no part of the frequency range seems pushed or enhanced.  Vocal and acoustic instruments are quite realistic and full-bodied- but I wouldn't describe things as "warm".  At times, I am wishing strings were just a touch warmer.  Nice deep soundstage- can definitely get a sense of the room/hall on most recordings.   System is easy to listen to for extended periods of time- my ears are not getting fatigued.  I find the upper register to be harsh only on (familiar) recordings that started out that way. 

I'm getting very good results from analogue out of NAD CDP, but really wonderful results from toslink/MacBook Pro/BDA-1.  If you've never tried it, Pure Music is a definite upgrade from iTunes on the Mac.  Red Book files, while just a touch noisy/hashy from the toslink, are extremely satifying.  Hires files (e.g. hdtracks) are just siblime. 

Things I am considering in the short run:
(1) upgrading my source.  Either upgrading CDP, trying BDP-1, or investing in a good asynchronous USB converter for my MBP.  Everything I have read suggests USB should be superior to toslink.
(2) auditioning some better IC's and speaker wire to see what they bring to the party.  I'm going to let my ears decide on this issue.

Glad you're enjoying the new gear but could you provide details on what the BP25 + 4B-SST has brought to the table that the B100SST did not?  If you had to list the differences and quantify them, all else held equal, what has the change in amplification brought?  Very interested in hearing from you on this.

headshrinker2

« Reply #75 on: 13 Jul 2011, 01:45 pm »
(part II)

I know some of you were looking for some direct comparison between B100SST integrated and Bryston separates.   As I already posted, I have no regrets about this upgrade.  To different degrees, many sonic aspects of the system are now improved.  The B100SST is a great integrated, but I think I personally preferred the Naim XS integrated from my previous system.  The Bryston separates, at least to my ears, outperform both integrated amps.

I did not get the chance to directly compare the integrated and separates at the same time with all things equal (i.e. same cabling, interconnects, balanced, source...ect).  I greatly enjoyed the B100SST, but I found the Bryston separates just bring more to the party.  Case in point, I'm listening to more music now... and staying up too late!

SoundGame

« Reply #76 on: 13 Jul 2011, 01:51 pm »
(part II)

I know some of you were looking for some direct comparison between B100SST integrated and Bryston separates.   As I already posted, I have no regrets about this upgrade.  To different degrees, many sonic aspects of the system are now improved.  The B100SST is a great integrated, but I think I personally preferred the Naim XS integrated from my previous system.  The Bryston separates, at least to my ears, outperform both integrated amps.

I did not get the chance to directly compare the integrated and separates at the same time with all things equal (i.e. same cabling, interconnects, balanced, source...ect).  I greatly enjoyed the B100SST, but I found the Bryston separates just bring more to the party.  Case in point, I'm listening to more music now... and staying up too late!

Not to be hard on you headshrinker2 but though you have clearly indicated you prefer the Bryston separates - and you're listening to more music (all good things), for those who have not owned the integrateds vs. separates, you are in a prime place to help educate. 

With your Arrow's are you hearing more details with the separates, is there more bass, is there more liquidity - more details on what you're hearing in your systems now vs. what you heard with the B100SST would be helpful. 

headshrinker2

« Reply #77 on: 13 Jul 2011, 03:06 pm »
SoundGame,
Don't mind you pumping for more details at all!  You already know from my previous post that I did not get to do a direct A/B comparison at the same time with all other variables being equal.  So please keep that in mind.

To my ears, the Bryston separates bring the following advantages:  more bass, better overall balance, more full-bodied sound, more dynamic range, smoother (but I wouldn't call it liquid) and less fatiguing highs, deeper soundstage with an overall increased sense of space/room.  This is not a tonal characteristic, but I find the music-especially vocal and instrumental- to be more emotionally engaging.

Hope that helps!

Not to be hard on you headshrinker2 but though you have clearly indicated you prefer the Bryston separates - and you're listening to more music (all good things), for those who have not owned the integrateds vs. separates, you are in a prime place to help educate. 

With your Arrow's are you hearing more details with the separates, is there more bass, is there more liquidity - more details on what you're hearing in your systems now vs. what you heard with the B100SST would be helpful.

SoundGame

« Reply #78 on: 13 Jul 2011, 03:39 pm »
...To my ears, the Bryston separates bring the following advantages:  more bass, better overall balance, more full-bodied sound, more dynamic range, smoother (but I wouldn't call it liquid) and less fatiguing highs, deeper soundstage with an overall increased sense of space/room.  This is not a tonal characteristic, but I find the music-especially vocal and instrumental- to be more emotionally engaging...

It's very interesting that all this came accross with the Totem Arrows that only call for 20 - 80 W and are 4 ohms.  Moving up in power delivery should give you things like larger soundstage and great dynamics, so those are easy to understand, when your speakers call for it.  Again, it's interesting that the Arrow's display that - very interesting in fact.  The fact that separates are in two-boxes and linked by an IC will also add differences - which it appears in your case are on the positive side of things.  Definitely the separate route allows you to customize and or tweak/tailor the sound by swapping interconnects - especially since I find the Bryston gear is very revealling of any change to the system - even minor ones. 

Thanks for the additional information - it's what I needed.  It also helps me rationalize my decision, after the fact, of spending the additional money to go the separates route (BP6+4BSST2) over the integrated route B100 SST. 

headshrinker2

« Reply #79 on: 13 Jul 2011, 04:07 pm »
SoundGame,
Every change in interconnect (analogue and digital) and speaker wire has made a difference in the separates system.  A blessing and a curse!  Time like these really make me wish I had a local Bryston dealer who could offer some sage advice (and home demo).  I really like the direction my system is headed, but I haven't "arrived" yet.