B100 SST vs Separates

jaxwired

Re: B100 SST vs Separates
« Reply #40 on: 22 May 2011, 02:14 am »
Ok, which ATCs did you have.

SCM 11s and SCM 19s.  The 19s are huge stand mount speakers. 

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #41 on: 22 May 2011, 09:58 am »
Ah ok, but did you have the SCM 50s, 100s, and 150s? And which PMCs did you compare them too?

I dunno, I can't say I won't give PMC another chance, but I see them as an inferior product (compared to ATC and others) with a very high price tag. I wasn't too impressed while listening to them at CES.

No offense to PMC owners here.

niels

« Reply #42 on: 25 May 2011, 10:13 pm »
So, what is your impression of the Bryston?

lanchile

« Reply #43 on: 27 May 2011, 12:09 am »
So, what is your impression of the Bryston?

yeah! I think is time to know if He liked the B100.

servingko

« Reply #44 on: 28 May 2011, 01:02 pm »
I would like to know how he likes it as well.  This may be a case where no newsisn't good news but I hope I am wrong.

niels

« Reply #45 on: 28 May 2011, 09:38 pm »
Consiering the odds he is probably busy listening, havent heard of many people who didnt like the Bryston transparency.

headshrinker2

« Reply #46 on: 29 May 2011, 09:16 pm »
Greetings Bryston folks,
Yes indeed, I've been doing lots of listening.  Source components included:
(1) NAD 541 CDP (digital out)
(2) Apple TV(2)
(3) Bryston BDA-1

Audioquest Type 4 Speaker Cable.
Interconnects from BDA-1 to B100SST:  Kimber Kable PBJ and Chord Cable Cobra Plus (both RCA-RCA)

The Bryston B100SST and the Naim XS/FC2x are both excellent integrated options.  They definitely have different personalities.  Ultimately, like most audio decisions, it comes down to personal preference.

The Bryston is a treat to listen to.  As compared to the XS, I'd say the B100SST throws a deeper and wider soundstage, has a more transparent and neutral presentation, and has a more open and airy upper register of frequencies.  Compared to the XS, lead vocals on the B100ST tend to be a bit smoother, laid back, and a bit behind the plane of the speaker.  Overall, pleasant and non-fatiguing.  The B100SST is definitely revealing enough to show almost every system change I tried (i.e. interconnect, speaker cable, power supply).  Finally, I also found the B100SST handled complex orchestral pieces a bit better- easier to pick out individual instrument sections and less congested.

headshrinker2

« Reply #47 on: 29 May 2011, 09:30 pm »
Part II.

The Naim XS/FC2x, as compared to the B100SST, is somewhat more fun to listen to.  While still warm and full-bodied, the Naim is bit more aggressive, a more up-front presentation.  Most notably, the Naim combo excelled on rythymic material.  At least to my ears, music with a groove was somehow more engaging. I've played percussion for many years (not my main gig)- the Naim got my feet moving.

While the Naim XS/FC2x and Bryston B100SST are both integrateds, I don't feel I am yet in a position to do any meaningful comparative listening.   My Naim system uses all high-quality Naim interconnects and Naim speaker cabling.  Naim + Totem is also a somewhat magic and synergistic combination.  I auditioned the Bryston with quality, but fairly modest speaker cabling and interconnects.  A trusted friend, and ex Bryston dealer, suggested that I have yet to hear what the Bryston is truly capable of (i.e. I should audition/invest in better cabling).

Othe differences:  It's also worth noting that the Naim FC2x adds an external power supply for the pre-amp on the XS. And the Bryston has more power than the XS.  In other words, this was not an apples to apples comparison.

lanchile

« Reply #48 on: 29 May 2011, 09:32 pm »
I am glad you like your Bryston B100. I will soon get my new B100 too. But for that I have to sell my B60 first. I do not want to sell it but, I need the "extra" money to pay for my new B100.

niels

« Reply #49 on: 29 May 2011, 10:52 pm »
I wish I had your ears, unfortunately I am younger than I will be but older than I once was so....
I havent invested a lot in cables, and besides, I use the dac in the B100.
My speaker cables are solid core installation cable, stiff, but can be bent around corners.
The B100 is the first amp I have had that makes me forget the equipment, before I was listening for flaws and focused on the equipment, now i just enjoy the music, hard to explain if you havent experienced it yourself.
Spotify Premium sounds terrific and is more or less all I need, ok, now I have said it, bring on the pepper.

(should I give the B100 one little slap over the fingers it would be that the digital feed in the B100 turns itself off when I turn on my tapedeck. The spike created in the powerline must be the culprit.)

headshrinker2

« Reply #50 on: 30 May 2011, 03:08 pm »
Niels,
Getting to the point when you enjoy the music- and not listen to the gear/system... a beautiful thing, indeed!  I know that place.  I achieved this with my Naim system for several years. Lots of pleasure, with no desire to upgrade. 

The BDA-1 was the first piece of gear that "opened" my ears, and lead to a new sonic direction.  I look forward to piecing together a balanced Bryston system as well.  I'm not somebody who enjoys endless tweaking or upgrading.  Once satisfaction is achieved, it's all about the tunes...

headshrinker2

« Reply #51 on: 30 May 2011, 11:46 pm »
P.S.  I made my decision.  My Naim gear is now listed on Audiogon.   Know anybody who might like a minty Naim XS/FC2x?  :)

After listening for the past 30 minutes to "Steps", by Pat Coil (a Sheffield Lab recording) I have made the right decision.

headshrinker2

« Reply #52 on: 20 Jun 2011, 01:56 pm »
Greetings,
I picked up a S/H BP25 at a good price.  Considering S/H
(1) 4BST (around $1,500)
(2) 4BSST (around $3,000)

The SST worth the extra money, compared to the ST? 

My minty S/H B100SST will be going on the market soon.

Thanks.

SoundGame

« Reply #53 on: 20 Jun 2011, 05:29 pm »
Greetings,
I picked up a S/H BP25 at a good price.  Considering S/H
(1) 4BST (around $1,500)
(2) 4BSST (around $3,000)

The SST worth the extra money, compared to the ST? 

My minty S/H B100SST will be going on the market soon.

Thanks.

I've actually spoken with Bryston about the ST vs. SST, when I was considering the B100 to replace my 3B-ST (prior to me finally going with a BP6 and 4B-SST/2 combo).  Sonically, you would be taking a step backwards by going with an ST vs. your current B100SST (which is essentially a BP16 + 2B-SST).  The specs alone won't lie.

To take full advantage of the BP25 you should take the plunge with the SST.  You may be able to get away with a 3B-SST and save some money if you don't need that extra power.  The BP25 + 3B-SST will sound better than a BP25 + 4B-ST combo. 

The BP25 with a 4B-ST will NOT outperform the B100SST (assuming you are not taxing the amplification).

headshrinker2

« Reply #54 on: 20 Jun 2011, 06:55 pm »
Soundgame,
Thanks very much for the reply and thoughts.  Quite helpful. 

I've actually spoken with Bryston about the ST vs. SST, when I was considering the B100 to replace my 3B-ST (prior to me finally going with a BP6 and 4B-SST/2 combo).  Sonically, you would be taking a step backwards by going with an ST vs. your current B100SST (which is essentially a BP16 + 2B-SST).  The specs alone won't lie.

To take full advantage of the BP25 you should take the plunge with the SST.  You may be able to get away with a 3B-SST and save some money if you don't need that extra power.  The BP25 + 3B-SST will sound better than a BP25 + 4B-ST combo. 

The BP25 with a 4B-ST will NOT outperform the B100SST (assuming you are not taxing the amplification).

SoundGame

« Reply #55 on: 20 Jun 2011, 07:41 pm »
Soundgame,
Thanks very much for the reply and thoughts.  Quite helpful.

Glad to help - and let us know what you end up going with.

vegasdave

« Reply #56 on: 23 Jun 2011, 10:56 pm »
There's some idiots out there who think the ST is better than SST or SST2.  :rotflmao:

niels

« Reply #57 on: 23 Jun 2011, 11:12 pm »
3BSST vs. the 2BSST, is that noticeable? My B100 should have 100 watts, but spec sheet says 125.
I dont care about the watts though, rarely use more than 1.

SoundGame

« Reply #58 on: 24 Jun 2011, 01:16 pm »
3BSST vs. the 2BSST, is that noticeable? My B100 should have 100 watts, but spec sheet says 125.
I dont care about the watts though, rarely use more than 1.

Unless you are driving the speaker hard or the speaker is a difficult load e.g. 4 ohm with some crazy drops, the 2BSST and 3BSST will sound virtually the same.  More whats is usually tied to more amps which allows for greater dynamics.  A B100SST vs. a bp6 + 2BSST will sound virtually the same - in fact the weak link would be the interconnect between the bp6 and the 2B-SST (but that also allows for customization / sound tailoring). 

If you're going to a 3B-SST you may want to just splurge a little more and get a 4B-SST (twice the power and better resale - the 4B being Bryston's top selling amp).

vegasdave

« Reply #59 on: 24 Jun 2011, 07:17 pm »
If you're going to a 3B-SST you may want to just splurge a little more and get a 4B-SST (twice the power and better resale - the 4B being Bryston's top selling amp).

I agree.