B100 SST vs Separates

niels

Re: B100 SST vs Separates
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2011, 11:38 pm »
Seems everyone here agrees with the test of the B100 in Stereophile, in the test he found little difference in the sound adding a 4B SST to the B100. I seem to recall he mentioned maybe a slight increase in deep bass slam.
Anyway, like patrickm said, the room is the biggest concern here, do you have a big room the speakers must energize, then you might need a bigger amp, otherwise not. Of course there is a difference between what one might want, or need, if I had the money and the space for it I would probably also buy a 4B SST, but for me that would be total overkill I think.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2011, 03:01 am »
OB1i.  I find they are a nice match with the system and the size of the room.

Cool. I'm pretty set on ATCs, but would mind hearing PMCs.

vegasdave

« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2011, 03:02 am »
I am currently running a 4BSST2 with a B100 as preamp and surround amplification.  Having owned several B60's including the current SST model, I can tell you that there is a bigger difference going from the B60 to the B100 than there is moving up to the 4BSST2 from the B100's 2BSST section.

Having said that, where the 4BSST2 brings more than that B100 by itself, is in terms of dynamics and a greater depth and 3 dimensionality to the presentation.  The B100 is certainly no slouch but pairing it's preamp section (BP16) with the 4BSST2 sounded better to me.  I had a BP26 and a BP6 in my system for a time as well.  Overall I actually liked the BP6 the best when driving the 4BSST2 as it sounded a bit smoother and more enjoyable.  The BP26 provided greater detail, but the B6 was a bit easier to listen to, more musical would be my description.

The B100SST is a fantastic value, particularly on the used market, and I don't think you'd be disappointed.  Later you could add more power if it's required and/or use the amp section with another amp to bi-amp.

Thanks for your words on the BP6/4B combo. Now wonder I like my BP6/4BSST so much!

mkaiser

« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2011, 06:48 pm »
Here is a quote i found from James from 2003 with regards to peoples thoughts that one Bryston amp being better than another because it costs more or it is more/less powerful.
A helpful reminder to all the new folks to the Bryston forum and for those that think otherwise.  :thumb:

All Bryston amplifiers have the same circuitry. "Fully Balanced Differential" inputs and "Fully Compllimentary"output stages. There is no better/best with Bryston - just choose the amount of power required.
james

Mark

lanchile

« Reply #24 on: 16 May 2011, 11:45 pm »
Here is a quote i found from James from 2003 with regards to peoples thoughts that one Bryston amp being better than another because it costs more or it is more/less powerful.
A helpful reminder to all the new folks to the Bryston forum and for those that think otherwise.  :thumb:

Mark

Nice quote Mark! Thanks. :thumb:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #25 on: 17 May 2011, 12:02 am »

"All Bryston amplifiers have the same circuitry. "Fully Balanced Differential" inputs and "Fully Compllimentary"output stages. There is no better/best with Bryston - just choose the amount of power required."
james

Mark

Yes but...
While there may be little or no difference between say, a 4BSST and a 3BSST other than output power, there will certainly be a difference between a 4B and a 4BSST and a 4BSST2  ( or so we've been led to believe...   :wink: ) and there's gonna be a difference between a 7BSST2 with the old caps and tranny vs. the ones with the new caps and tranny. So it ain't quite that simple...

D.D.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #26 on: 17 May 2011, 02:10 am »

Which ATCs?  I think I was telling you a while back that ATCs most likely be right up your alley.

ATCs need a ton of power and space to open up and work their magic.  Once you've got them happy in those regards, they're nearly impossible to beat IMO.

vegasdave

« Reply #27 on: 17 May 2011, 09:45 am »
Which ATCs?  I think I was telling you a while back that ATCs most likely be right up your alley.

ATCs need a ton of power and space to open up and work their magic.  Once you've got them happy in those regards, they're nearly impossible to beat IMO.

http://flatearthaudio.com/?page_id=31

headshrinker2

« Reply #28 on: 17 May 2011, 12:25 pm »
Thanks very much for all the replies.   I have a B100 SST on the way.  I look forward to comparing the B100 SST to my current integrated, Naim XS. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #29 on: 17 May 2011, 08:07 pm »
Vegasdave,

Haven't heard those ATCs.  They look very interesting.  Looking forward to hearing about them when you've got them up and running.

Headshrinker,

The Nait XS is a great integrated.  The B100 is a bit different, but equally good IMO.  Should be a very interesting head to head comparison.

vegasdave

« Reply #30 on: 18 May 2011, 12:18 am »
Vegasdave,

Haven't heard those ATCs.  They look very interesting.  Looking forward to hearing about them when you've got them up and running.

Headshrinker,

The Nait XS is a great integrated.  The B100 is a bit different, but equally good IMO.  Should be a very interesting head to head comparison.

Ok, cool. I will let you know. It's gonna be some time, however.

lanchile

« Reply #31 on: 18 May 2011, 11:01 pm »
Thanks very much for all the replies.   I have a B100 SST on the way.  I look forward to comparing the B100 SST to my current integrated, Naim XS.

Excellent choice! you will be very happy with your new B100.

headshrinker2

« Reply #32 on: 19 May 2011, 01:13 am »
Thanks lanchille.  I will know soon enough.  The B100 has been shipped and is on it's way.

denjo

« Reply #33 on: 19 May 2011, 07:26 am »
I second the B100 option as one of the great VFM audio deals! If there is one audio equipment that has left a positive impression, it is the B100. When I am in pensive mood, my mind sometimes wanders to my days with the B100 and the beautiful music it made! The bass was glorious and the midrange, sublime!

headshrinker2

« Reply #34 on: 19 May 2011, 12:36 pm »
denjo, how am I supposed to patiently wait for the UPS guy after your post?  Your fond musical memories are certainly a great endorsement of the B100.  I'm a fool for sweet midrange....

jaxwired

« Reply #35 on: 20 May 2011, 01:58 am »

Having owned both ATC and PMC, I'd pick PMC everytime.  PMCs are just plain awesome and a match a made in heaven for Bryston.  The ATCs are ruthlessly revealing and dynamic as hell, but pretty much all lack the bass slam that makes me happy.  And while the ATCs are more revealing and probably more accurate, the PMCs are way more fun and have the most "live" sound of any speaker I've ever owned.  As you can see, love me some PMC. 

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #36 on: 20 May 2011, 02:23 am »
 I'm with Jaxwired - Check out PMC, Vegas. You'll love the way your kind of tunes get rocked by a pair of those. I too loves me some PMC !  :thumb:

D.D.

denjo

« Reply #37 on: 20 May 2011, 02:27 am »
denjo, how am I supposed to patiently wait for the UPS guy after your post?  Your fond musical memories are certainly a great endorsement of the B100.  I'm a fool for sweet midrange....

Good things are worth waiting for headshrinker2!  :)
Hope you got the remote headset as well! Its the best looking remote I have ever used!

vegasdave

« Reply #38 on: 20 May 2011, 03:10 am »
Having owned both ATC and PMC, I'd pick PMC everytime.  PMCs are just plain awesome and a match a made in heaven for Bryston.  The ATCs are ruthlessly revealing and dynamic as hell, but pretty much all lack the bass slam that makes me happy.  And while the ATCs are more revealing and probably more accurate, the PMCs are way more fun and have the most "live" sound of any speaker I've ever owned.  As you can see, love me some PMC. 

Ok, which ATCs did you have.

vegasdave

« Reply #39 on: 20 May 2011, 03:20 am »
I'm with Jaxwired - Check out PMC, Vegas. You'll love the way your kind of tunes get rocked by a pair of those. I too loves me some PMC !  :thumb:

D.D.

Ok, I'll think about it. It appears that ATC gives you more for your money though.

And you can't beat that midrange unit as well.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 04:42 am by vegasdave »