Silly-cheap amps

Poultrygeist

Re: Silly-cheap amps
« Reply #60 on: 19 Jun 2011, 10:34 am »
I can't find much on the Scythe Kama Bay.

One owner said it wasn't hifi which makes me think it may not sound as good as a T-amp?

JohnR

« Reply #61 on: 20 Jun 2011, 11:29 am »
I can't find much on the Scythe Kama Bay.

One owner said it wasn't hifi which makes me think it may not sound as good as a T-amp?

Never heard one or know anything about it, but I'd be very surprised if there was any $60 amp that could be considered "hifi." You have to keep things in perspective. With things down at this kind of price point, frankly if it can even be listened to it's a good deal. (My opinion)

Poultrygeist

« Reply #62 on: 20 Jun 2011, 11:45 am »
The Kama Bay uses a relative unknown Yamaha chip while T amps use the famous Tripaths. I wonder how or if they compare?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #63 on: 20 Jun 2011, 11:53 am »
JohnR,

I would think the $39 Sonic Impact ( Dayton t amp ) would qualify as hifi.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html

JohnR

« Reply #64 on: 20 Jun 2011, 12:00 pm »
A curious number of breasts and abs on that link. Regardless, this is a bit like pushing on the end of a piece of string. (Please don't ask me to explain that precisely...)

srb

« Reply #65 on: 20 Jun 2011, 02:19 pm »
The Kama Bay uses a relative unknown Yamaha chip while T amps use the famous Tripaths. I wonder how or if they compare?

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/scythe_sda1000_e.html

Steve

vonfilm

« Reply #66 on: 20 Jun 2011, 02:51 pm »
I read TNT to say that the 1000 and 1100 are better than the Sonic Impact T-Amp and that the 1100 is an improvement. If the 2100 is better still I would certainly like to try it out. I wish TNT would follow up with a review of the 2100.

srb

« Reply #67 on: 20 Jun 2011, 03:43 pm »
I read TNT to say that the 1000 and 1100 are better than the Sonic Impact T-Amp and that the 1100 is an improvement. If the 2100 is better still I would certainly like to try it out. I wish TNT would follow up with a review of the 2100.

So far there aren't any reviews from audiophile sources, only a few writeups from computer sources.  Scythe website says the 2100 uses a new PCB design, which of course it would have to with the incorporation of bass, treble and other functions.

Since it doesn't have a tone control defeat, it is possible that it doesn't sound as good as the 1100.  But in the context of new silly-cheap $60 amplifiers, I may get one.  If I could find another now-discontinued 1100 I would probably get that, although the addition of the bass and treble controls might be a welcome addition for my intended patio application.

Steve

ThomDP

« Reply #68 on: 22 Jun 2011, 02:42 am »
Is there any indication on the quality of the Scythe's headphone jack?

srb

« Reply #69 on: 22 Jun 2011, 03:10 am »
Is there any indication on the quality of the Scythe's headphone jack?

I don't use headphones, so I don't know.  But if you read the TNT-Audio review on the SDA-1000 that I linked, they say:

"The Class AB headphone amplifier seems to accept 16 Ohm as minimum impedance, 32 Ohm being optimal. Higher impedance headphone might cause a decrease of the power output. Sound quality of the headphone output doesn't seem on a par with the speakers output."

Steve
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2011, 06:08 pm by srb »

HalSF

« Reply #70 on: 22 Jun 2011, 05:54 pm »
Given the title of this topic I'm surprised to see the universal non-love for the Lepai Tripath TA2020. I hope all the instant put-downs are mostly typical Manichean audiophile know-it-all-ism, because I've got a $19.80 Lepai coming from Amazon in a couple of days. I'm using it to run a  little bedroom iTunes Airplay system via Airport Express > Lepai Tripath amp > JBL Control 1Xtreme speakers I've had in storage. Decent mid-fi performance will be enough to make me happy.

Check out the Amazon customer reviews for a more generous / less dismissive sense of what the Lepai has to offer:

http://goo.gl/3EeKR