Silly-cheap amps

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: Silly-cheap amps
« Reply #40 on: 16 Jun 2011, 11:28 pm »
Why not just buy a stereo receiver? You can get one cheap because nobody wants one anymore.

Cheers
                                Charlie

Yes, there are great vintage A/V receivers.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #41 on: 17 Jun 2011, 12:29 am »
Here's a well reviewed $260 SET which has plenty of power for the HE Lores. It may be all you'll ever need.

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=75

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #42 on: 17 Jun 2011, 02:09 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions but when I say cheap, I mean SILLY cheap.  It will just be something to use while I figure out which route I want to go.  I am considering the Decware Zen Triode but I know nothing about tubes so I am a little scared.  My other consideration is one of the Peachtree products.

I've thought about getting one of those Harmon Kardon 3490's from Amazon or either the Audioengine N22 to hold me over until I decide but don't want to spend the $200-$250.  At the same time I am scared of the Dayton T-Amp, I mean really $59.99?

Gopher

« Reply #43 on: 17 Jun 2011, 02:34 am »
Berto hit the nail on the head.  Just by something popular/FOTM at or below market value.  If you make your money back or even profit re-selling, then the short term investment was irrelevant.

Bemopti123

« Reply #44 on: 17 Jun 2011, 03:01 am »
For the type of speakers you have the most synergistic match would be an amp with opchip type of components, like the iconic Gaincard....perhaps someone here has 1 with a simple volume pot you can try.  They are inherently affordable but if well executed and partnered, they will be really smashing. 

Poultrygeist

« Reply #45 on: 17 Jun 2011, 10:49 am »
How cheap is cheap? The Sure TK2050 and power supply from Parts Express is under $100 and beats the Dayton T-amps as well as any receiver I've ever heard. It's plug and play and you don't need a case. It sounds great with the Zu Omens.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #46 on: 17 Jun 2011, 10:55 am »
I found those in PE...so you just get the board and PS, connect them together and its an amp?????? Or a drawer amp...LOL

Poultrygeist

« Reply #47 on: 17 Jun 2011, 11:05 am »
This drawer will knock your socks out! :lol:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #48 on: 17 Jun 2011, 11:28 am »
I bet, is it that easy though...I'm asking seriously. The price is awesome, might be a good amp to give to my kids?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #49 on: 17 Jun 2011, 11:16 pm »
I think I'd give them the Virtue and keep the Sure. :D

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #50 on: 18 Jun 2011, 01:49 am »
For the type of speakers you have the most synergistic match would be an amp with opchip type of components, like the iconic Gaincard....perhaps someone here has 1 with a simple volume pot you can try.  They are inherently affordable but if well executed and partnered, they will be really smashing.

Well, as a matter of fact... there is. Check the amplifier trading posts. (-I didn't want to say anything, but this kind of begged for it)

wilsynet

« Reply #51 on: 18 Jun 2011, 07:47 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions but when I say cheap, I mean SILLY cheap.

[...]

I've thought about getting one of those Harmon Kardon 3490's from Amazon or either the Audioengine N22 to hold me over until I decide but don't want to spend the $200-$250.  At the same time I am scared of the Dayton T-Amp, I mean really $59.99?

So $200 is too much and $60 is too little.  Would you mind being a bit more specific then?

srb

« Reply #52 on: 18 Jun 2011, 08:00 pm »
At the same time I am scared of the Dayton T-Amp, I mean really $59.99?

You should be.  Dorky plastic cabinet, cheap-ass spring-loaded speaker terminals and 1/8" stereo mini-plug input.

Just get the Scythe.  Metal chassis, all metal 5-way binding posts, chassis mounted RCA jacks with hex nuts and it sounds good.  Scythe SDAR-2100 at Newegg

Steve

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #53 on: 18 Jun 2011, 10:26 pm »
I'd say to forget the LePai. SQ is maddeningly bad... well, to me, anyhow. And that's with speakers that are very smooth.

As for getting inside and fiddling, be careful. Unless they changed the speaker connections, they are liable to fall apart in your hands. But, it's been a couple of years. Things change fast.

My 2 cents~

Poultrygeist

« Reply #54 on: 18 Jun 2011, 11:22 pm »
$20 is nothing to play with.

vonfilm

« Reply #55 on: 18 Jun 2011, 11:34 pm »
I would not be afraid of the Dayton T Amp. I am currently using 3 of the Sonic Impact versions. One in each bathroom and 1 in the garage. They sound great with efficient speakers.

That being said, I am very interested in learning more about the Scythe SDAR 2100. If it sounds as good as the T Amp, its extra inputs and heavier duty build quality would be a plus.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #56 on: 19 Jun 2011, 04:10 am »
I own an SDA-1100, which had been discontinued and disappeared from all vendor's stock recently, but I was unaware that a replacement was available.

You mean this replacement? 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998087&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Accessories+-+Case+/+Rackmount-_-Scythe+USA-_-11998087

This link is quoted from the "Help I need a silly cheap amp" thread that presently resides next to this one on the circle.  I'm about ready to combine them, anyone have any opinions?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #57 on: 19 Jun 2011, 04:14 am »
I'm thinking this thread should be combined with the "Silly Cheap Amps" thread, I keep seeing the same things posted on both threads.  Opinions on doing so or not will be solicited for a day or two before I do it.

srb

« Reply #58 on: 19 Jun 2011, 04:33 am »
I'm thinking this thread should be combined with the "Silly Cheap Amps" thread, I keep seeing the same things posted on both threads

Makes sense to me.  Both topics seem to be looking for amplifiers < $100.

Steve

pardales

« Reply #59 on: 19 Jun 2011, 04:33 am »
I'm thinking this thread should be combined with the "Silly Cheap Amps" thread, I keep seeing the same things posted on both threads.  Opinions on doing so or not will be solicited for a day or two before I do it.

Good idea.  :thumb: