Silly-cheap amps

JohnR

Re: Silly-cheap amps
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2011, 03:10 am »
The one I bought is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250667860441&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_7263wt_957

It has a "soft yet gentle orange twinkling backlight."  :green:  :lol:

chgolatin2

« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2011, 02:50 pm »
Look into Jolida products, to me their the best bargain, best sounding tube amps around.  Plus they are highly modifiable as well.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #22 on: 20 May 2011, 04:43 pm »
John- How does it sound if you have gotten it already, any comments? The lighted/glow/twinkling dial is very cool looking I think.

charmerci

« Reply #23 on: 20 May 2011, 04:52 pm »
Look into Jolida products, to me their the best bargain, best sounding tube amps around.  Plus they are highly modifiable as well.

This is the "Silly-cheap" thread. Are they selling for under $100 now???

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #24 on: 20 May 2011, 09:16 pm »
It has a "soft yet gentle orange twinkling backlight."  :green:  :lol:

Oh, well, that makes all the difference then.  Certain to have a warm and inviting sound.  My amp has a cold, blue backlight, therefore is cool and analytical in sound quality.   :wink:

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: 20 May 2011, 11:00 pm »
Well, it arrived yesterday, so less than two weeks from HK. For the price, it's nicely made, and it does indeed have a soft orange bacKlight... although I don't know about twinkling, I'd say it's more really just glowing, in an orange kind of way - although more of a cool orange and less of a warm orange. But it is  definitely warmer than the typical laser blue in fashion now. An unusual statement, evoking a futuristic sense of style that would not be out of place in one of the newer Star Treks, although unfortunately not synergizing well with the more utilitarian and industrial (albeit well made) black chassis, and one wonders if a white or silver chassis option would offset the essential bolt-together extrusion nature of that chassis. Speaking of synergy, seeking an harmonious combination with surrounding equipment may in fact have you re-evaluating the rest of your system, with them being thrown into a new light, as it were.

These are, of course, my initial impressions, and I'm currently burning it in as surrounds in the HT, with more detailed reports to come.

vonfilm

« Reply #26 on: 1 Jun 2011, 07:02 pm »

Kama Bay AMP 2100 Rev.B Has anyone tried this Silly-cheap amp:
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/AMP/001/ScytheUSA-ProductsSDAR2100AMP001index.html

It is also available at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-SDAR-2100-Kama-2000-Rev-B/dp/B0051C7H4Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1306954571&sr=1-3

The thing that really interests me about this is that it has 3 RCA inputs and 1 Stereo mini input. The Scythe SDA 100 and SDA 1100 had good reviews at TNT audio a couple of years ago. This uses the same YAMAHA YDA138(D-3) chip. TNT says that these were comparable to the TrendsTA 10.1. How does this    Kama Bay AMP 2100 Rev.B  rate?

srb

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jun 2011, 08:02 pm »
I own an SDA-1100, which had been discontinued and disappeared from all vendor's stock recently, but I was unaware that a replacement was available.

Some of the funkiest meters ever seen (but switchable from monitoring input or output on the back panel!) AND Bass and Treble controls.  Might have to replace the patio amplifier.

My SDA-1100 sounds pretty good as long as you don't push it.  The 10W per channel rating is at something like 10% distortion.

Steve

« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2011, 11:55 pm by srb »

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 1 Jun 2011, 11:50 pm »
Well, it arrived yesterday, so less than two weeks from HK. For the price, it's nicely made, and it does indeed have a soft orange bacKlight... although I don't know about twinkling, I'd say it's more really just glowing, in an orange kind of way - although more of a cool orange and less of a warm orange. But it is  definitely warmer than the typical laser blue in fashion now. An unusual statement, evoking a futuristic sense of style that would not be out of place in one of the newer Star Treks, although unfortunately not synergizing well with the more utilitarian and industrial (albeit well made) black chassis, and one wonders if a white or silver chassis option would offset the essential bolt-together extrusion nature of that chassis. Speaking of synergy, seeking an harmonious combination with surrounding equipment may in fact have you re-evaluating the rest of your system, with them being thrown into a new light, as it were.

These are, of course, my initial impressions, and I'm currently burning it in as surrounds in the HT, with more detailed reports to come.
Now thats good, all the way around...... :wink:

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #29 on: 15 Jun 2011, 11:22 pm »
I'm putting together a 2 channel system and my first purchase were the speakers.  Tekton Design Lore.  I am now looking for something "Cheap and Cheerful" to drive them with for about 90 days while I save funds for what I really want (when I figure out what that really is).

Are any of those T-Amps really any good?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 15 Jun 2011, 11:55 pm »
I have a Virtue Audio TWO.2 and I'm pretty sure its a t-amp, I love it,it drives anything  I connect to it and the upgrade in power supplies as suggested by Seth at the time of purchase was a great idea. I will always have this amp, never letting this one go!!!  I got the 30/130 power supply, its just a large brick and Plug and provides nice clean power to the little amp. You might want to check them out, there is a used one around for sale and I suggest you get it as they have depleted TWO.2 stock and it might be awhile before Seth and crew make-up somemore!!!
 If your budget fitsa get a Virtue Sensation with the tube buffer, they sound great I understand....enjoy!!!

Tubo

« Reply #31 on: 16 Jun 2011, 02:15 am »
T-amps are good. I have a Trends TA-10 and a Winsome Labs Mouse and they are both terrific with my LS3/5A's. The only issue with Class D amps is that they generate a lot of RFI that may interfere with FM reception. Some of them shield or suppress RFI better than others. I hardly ever listen to FM anymore, so it is not an issue.

Parts Express sells super cheap ones (with corresponding build quality) and Audio Magus has some cheap ones:

http://www.audio-magus.com/Solid_State_Amplifiers_s/36.htm

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #32 on: 16 Jun 2011, 02:44 am »
Don't forget the used market (Craig's List, pawn shops, audiogon).

Look around for factory rebuilts (I bought a Harmon Kardon receiver for 1/2 price that way years ago).

Kingrex is good.  Virtue is better, but pricey as now their cheapest is $449 (and more power than you'd need for the Lore).

Doublej

« Reply #33 on: 16 Jun 2011, 11:49 am »

rodge827

« Reply #34 on: 16 Jun 2011, 12:19 pm »
DigitalDude,
What is your cheep amp budget?
Integrated amp, receiver or straight amp?
I have an Adcom 5200 SS straight amp and a passive pre amp that I am willing to sell.
If your interested send me a PM.
Chris

geowak

« Reply #35 on: 16 Jun 2011, 03:11 pm »
There is an integrated Music Hall amp here on AC that is pretty cheap. Looks like a good one, it has a decent transformer, and quiet preamp section... worth a look

Berto

« Reply #36 on: 16 Jun 2011, 03:24 pm »
The cheapest amp if you can swing it is ALWAYS borrowing a friends extra amp if possible that is.

If option above is not possible the second cheapest amp IMO is a used amp. One that is a  good enough deal where in 90 days you can resell it for lil to no loss. I did it recently with a nice sophia baby integrated, only 10 watts but bought and sold for $450 while I was amp shopping for my longterm amps.

rockadanny

« Reply #37 on: 16 Jun 2011, 05:01 pm »
Goodwill!

srb

« Reply #38 on: 16 Jun 2011, 05:12 pm »
If 10W/Ch will get you by, you can pick up a new Scythe SDAR-2100 for ~ $60 and wouldn't necessarily need to resell it when you get your next amplifier.  I have the previous model SDA-1100, but both use the same Yamaha YDA-138 chip and sound pretty good with medium to high efficiency speakers.

Steve

Charles Calkins

« Reply #39 on: 16 Jun 2011, 05:34 pm »
Why not just buy a stereo receiver? You can get one cheap because nobody wants one anymore.

Cheers
                                Charlie