Blenders

jlupine

Blenders
« on: 5 May 2011, 08:10 pm »
I have an older KitchenAid, but the linkage between the blades and the coupler has stripped.  I can't repair it, and I can't get a replacement.  I bought a Cuisinart from Costco, but the motor is making terrible noises and can't last much longer.  I'm looking at the commercial Warings like the MX1000XTX.
The commercial Hamilton Beach models are absurdly expensive.  I'd like some advice on brands, durability, and plastic v. glass containers.  Thanks.

srb

Re: Blenders
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2011, 08:28 pm »
I bought a Cuisinart from Costco, but the motor is making terrible noises and can't last much longer.

I also have a Cuisinart from Costco.  The motor itself is smooth and fairly quiet (with the container not on it), but I get a lot of noise from the blade/bearing assembly, even when it was brand new.

Cuisinart customer service was pretty good and although they sent me out a new blade assembly, it too is very noisy.

I prefer a glass container for the cleanliness factor, lack of odor and visual clarity, but if you have trouble physically holding on to a container, lighter weight plastic may be better for you.

Steve

rpf

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2011, 09:47 pm »
I bought the Waring MXT1000 about a year ago and like it. It has a 3.5 HP motor which is pretty strong although a friend who has a 3 HP Vitamix thinks that one's more powerful (more torque?); but it's significantly more expensive. Anyway, I just use it for smoothies which it produces quickly and easily (my friend uses her Vitamix for grains as well).

I have the plastic container which I like so far and I bought the Sound Enclosure, which is essential. Any blender beyond the basic lightweight ones is very noisy and the cover does reduce the sound substantially, if not as much as I would like.

I'd buy a basic paddle/lever switch model (of anything) and stay away from the touch pads.

I bought the pieces for $284 and $144 respectively here:  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/

Seemed they had the best price. Shipment was quick.

some young guy

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2011, 04:09 am »
I've used a lot of blenders in the kitchen. My favorite, by a long shot are the Breville blenders. Their construction is very solid, the cord and plug are heavy duty, the speeds actually make sense and the bottom of the can is hemisphericle so you never need to scrape it.  :thumb:
It's also really easy to clean.
Here's a link to a few:
http://www.google.com/#q=breville+blenders&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=T6PtTY3tEZHEsAOkyJmZAw&ved=0CJoBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=70eb2fd034f89fb8&biw=976&bih=683

Eric

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2011, 04:11 am »
I have a KitchenAid. It is highly recommended by Cooks Illustrated

datman

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2011, 04:33 am »
I have used 3 Vitamix blenders in my coffee business for at least 15 years. In all this time the only repairs needed were replacing the power switches (which I did myself in about 15 minutes) and replacing the blender blades when they wore out. They are not cheap, but they work better and longer than just about anything out there.

Just be sure to buy one at a restaurant supply. These models are cheaper and simpler.

some young guy

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2011, 10:48 pm »
I have used 3 Vitamix blenders in my coffee business for at least 15 years. In all this time the only repairs needed were replacing the power switches (which I did myself in about 15 minutes) and replacing the blender blades when they wore out. They are not cheap, but they work better and longer than just about anything out there.

Just be sure to buy one at a restaurant supply. These models are cheaper and simpler.

I've read some great things about Vitamix blenders, but haven't had any experience with them. Saveur Magazine just had them listed in their 100 Best issue this year.