An integrated Tube amp and possible GIANT killer???? the MP-301MK2

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Its all good Quiet Earth, no worries, I would talk with Garry directly before I'd crack open the case, I'm pretty aware of all the parameters here I just wish I knew more about tubes....IE: I didn't know you could use like different outputs of tubes, this is teaching me a ton and like I said if this is the way it will be I'm OK with that as the hum is very low now.
The best thing about AC is that others will teach you and all you have to do is read--I've gained incredible knowledge about this hobby, I'm still a rookie but I'm learning....this is the fun part!!! :thumb:

AVnerdguy

I'll get the scope out tonight and measure the frequency and level. The level is tiny in mine - only noticible through phones and is easily overridden by any signal. I'll post what I come up with.

AVnerdguy

OK, here's what I measured.

Hum in MP-301 MK2 – measured  w/Fluke 123 Scopemeter

Well, it’s very low (see below) which explains why it’s so easily hidden by any program material. Measured at headphone out jack.

A = 1.1 mV
B = 0.9 mV

60 Hz hum (line frequency) that doesn’t vary in amplitude with volume control but there is also some high frequency component which is making it impossible to lock up the time base to verify. The hf component jumps around from 0 to 43 MHZ.  Random in nature. I’ll chalk that up to RFI.

My amp doesn’t get abnormally hot for a tube unit. Due to its small size the heat convection gets the rest of the case warm but nothing out of the ordinary or what I would expect. I can keep my hand on the transformer without feeling uncomfortable. Just wish they would put a cage around the tubes as I have curious animals and occasionally kids in the house.

I didn’t take the unit apart but I don’t think tube seating is an issue. They are very snug and a quick check (slight pressure all tubes) with the scope hooked up didn’t change anything.

So, I think my unit is acting pretty normal. Don’t think I can justify tearing it apart for a 1mV hum that only can be heard through my Grado 225si. You might hear it if you use very efficient monitors but my Polks are 89dB sensitivity so it’s never present in my set up.

All that aside, this thing is very easy to listen to for long periods of time. Very smooth and detailed. Again, lacks low end punch but that’s the nature of tubes. The bottom end is nice and rounded with good response, mids are up front and the high end is revealing (at least with the silk dome tweeters in my near fields). Great amp for the price.

eclein

• Volunteer
AVnerdguy--I'm glad to see yours is OK mine only hums or whatever you want to call it a very little bit now and its gone as soon as a signal is sent. I'm more bummed at the headphone jack issue and he is sending me a switch to install and that will teach me a bunch about amps because I'll find out what everything does.

They do sound good and all in all the sound is better than expected so when its fixable I'll get it fixed and until then I can deal with the little hum and boogie my way around my apartment....LOL :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

eclein

• Volunteer
Got mine humless tonite and it sounds pretty darn good...I used the stock tube for the pre-amp side and Mullard EL34 replacement tubes for the power side and I'm happy to report I have "zero" noise, hum, etc...its very quiet and has a nice dark black background. In fact the first song I went to play I thought wasn't starting so as I leaned over to lower the volume and before I could do so...boom- it started and we'll just say it was an exhilarating moment......all good now and enjoyment all around :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ultralight

Curious - are all four tubes supposed to glow, or just the larger power tubes?

Thanks,
UL

eclein

• Volunteer
The power tubes do and the front ones do a little bit if your using the stock tubes.
The glow, and amount of it depends on the make,model of the tube I think but the stock ones glow a bit in front and more so in back.