An integrated Tube amp and possible GIANT killer???? the MP-301MK2

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
eclein - Nice looking amp.
The title says possible Giant Killer - What amps have you compared it to besides the Sony and the Virtue Audio?
None
well the other MP301

If people are upset with my wording, phrasing, use of punctuation, etc. just let me know and I'll stop posting. I enjoy having fun with this hobby but I'll stop if its annoying people-just let me know.

AVnerdguy

Ed MADE me buy this so I’ll elaborate a bit more on his review. I finally received mine as well. Was a bit worried for bit but it was worth the wait.

I also have a very low level hum only noticeable through the phones. Any source easily overrides it but still annoying to an extent. Might be any easy fix – we’ll see what the manufacturer says. Not noticeable through speakers (I’m using it near field in my computer set up in my home office – about 3 ft distance). Speakers are Polk RTi A1 (89dB sensitivity). Source is Asus Xonar D1 card with FLAC files (16/44) and some hi rez downloads of various rates.

First off, this thing is very well built for the price. The speaker binding posts aren’t the best but are spaced for larger spades and tighten down nicely. The XFMR is very heavy which usually indicates good E core steel stack. The tubes lock into their sockets very snug. The toggle switches lock with a solid “click”. The volume pot is not dampened but rotates smoothly. The chassis is well finished and solid materials were used. The rear panel has an IEC AC socket and 2 pair of generic gold plated RCA connectors with decent grip. Overall, a very attractive package – and the handles on the top of the chassis are a nice touch and handy if you want to move it around.

Using the stock tubes currently. Using speakers - out of the box I wasn’t all that impressed. It sounded overly bright with little drive at the bottom. After an hour or so it started to warm up a bit (or I got conditioned!) and the harshness gave way to a nicely detailed top end with a forward presence. The bottom is a bit soft but nicely rounded and not lacking in frequency response. Plenty of drive for fairly efficient speakers but then again my office is a standard bedroom sized room. Maintains it’s detail at low volumes nicely too.

Headphones – Grado 225Si. Other than the low level hum it is a great headphone amp. Very detailed with good “space” in the midrange. Can be a bit harsh in the high end depending on the material played but I can say the same thing about the big rig downstairs – just more noticeable with cans on. Again, not much slam on the bottom end but very smooth and well rounded. That might change as it breaks in a bit and/or I try some different tubes.

Giant killer? I might not go that far but definitely a bargain for the price and a real solid hi fi amp that doesn’t disappoint.

Ericus Rex

Ed MADE me buy this so I’ll elaborate a bit more on his review. I finally received mine as well. Was a bit worried for bit but it was worth the wait.

I also have a very low level hum only noticeable through the phones. Any source easily overrides it but still annoying to an extent. Might be any easy fix – we’ll see what the manufacturer says. Not noticeable through speakers (I’m using it near field in my computer set up in my home office – about 3 ft distance). Speakers are Polk RTi A1 (89dB sensitivity). Source is Asus Xonar D1 card with FLAC files (16/44) and some hi rez downloads of various rates.

First off, this thing is very well built for the price. The speaker binding posts aren’t the best but are spaced for larger spades and tighten down nicely. The XFMR is very heavy which usually indicates good E core steel stack. The tubes lock into their sockets very snug. The toggle switches lock with a solid “click”. The volume pot is not dampened but rotates smoothly. The chassis is well finished and solid materials were used. The rear panel has an IEC AC socket and 2 pair of generic gold plated RCA connectors with decent grip. Overall, a very attractive package – and the handles on the top of the chassis are a nice touch and handy if you want to move it around.

Using the stock tubes currently. Using speakers - out of the box I wasn’t all that impressed. It sounded overly bright with little drive at the bottom. After an hour or so it started to warm up a bit (or I got conditioned!) and the harshness gave way to a nicely detailed top end with a forward presence. The bottom is a bit soft but nicely rounded and not lacking in frequency response. Plenty of drive for fairly efficient speakers but then again my office is a standard bedroom sized room. Maintains it’s detail at low volumes nicely too.

Headphones – Grado 225Si. Other than the low level hum it is a great headphone amp. Very detailed with good “space” in the midrange. Can be a bit harsh in the high end depending on the material played but I can say the same thing about the big rig downstairs – just more noticeable with cans on. Again, not much slam on the bottom end but very smooth and well rounded. That might change as it breaks in a bit and/or I try some different tubes.

Giant killer? I might not go that far but definitely a bargain for the price and a real solid hi fi amp that doesn’t disappoint.

How many hours so far?  New tubes sound like what you're describing until 30 hours or more.

monsterbill

• **Click the URL (globe icon below) to see my audio set ups:*
    • My audio set ups:
 AVNerd--re: humming, did you get the version with the Grado mod, or standard 50-600 Ohm headphone ouput?

89db speakers that both you and Ed are running are pretty inefficient.  I wonder how bad the hum would be on horns or fostex single drivers.
« Last Edit: 6 May 2011, 02:27 am by monsterbill »

canzld

All those little things he did added up to crystal clear, dimensional sound to me...its hard to write what I'm hearing and sounds more twilight zone then hifi but its there and I could hear it an hour or two in........very cool, did that help???

Cheers Ed - very useful -first direct comparison I've heard. For me - my mk1 doesn't run the bass so its not such an important issue - and the imaging/depth I get is pretty good already. Hmm..mk2 or 150 new (well.. used  :D) LPs? Have to think.. My speakers are in the 90s too and the whole hum thing is a little worrying   

sebrof

None
well the other MP301

If people are upset with my wording, phrasing, use of punctuation, etc. just let me know and I'll stop posting. I enjoy having fun with this hobby but I'll stop if its annoying people-just let me know.

I hope you're not thinking that I was poking or anything. I have 3 SE amps in my house ranging from $350 to about $1K, so I know you can get a lot for the $$. I've never compared them to anything very expensive so I sometimes wonder how they rate, which is why I asked what you compared this amp to.

eclein

• Volunteer
I hope you're not thinking that I was poking or anything. I have 3 SE amps in my house ranging from $350 to about $1K, so I know you can get a lot for the $$. I've never compared them to anything very expensive so I sometimes wonder how they rate, which is why I asked what you compared this amp to.

I had a bad day, coupled with the fact that all these doctors I have don't seem to be able to tell me what I have thats taking my legs away, slowly but surely...its a bit much at times :oops:

AVnerdguy

AVNerd--re: humming, did you get the version with the Grado mod, or standard 50-600 Ohm headphone ouput?

89db speakers that both you and Ed are running are pretty inefficient.  I wonder how bad the hum would be on horns or fostex single drivers.
I didn't know there was a Grado mod so I have the standard version. I'm pretty sensitive to hums but yes my speakers would mask that very low level hum. On something more effecient it might be heard at your listening position.

AVnerdguy

How many hours so far?  New tubes sound like what you're describing until 30 hours or more.

Indeed. That's what I put it down as. Have been burning the unit in and it cetainly tamed down quite a bit. I have some other tubes that i can experiment with later to see how I can shape the sound to my preferences.

milford3

My MP 301 has finally arrived.  Will put some time on and get back to everybody.  I will be driving the Axiom M22's with 93db sens.  Higher than other speakers Iv'e seen posted.  Plus I received an e-mail from Alan Lofft of Axiom and he wholeheartedly said to be very aware of early clipping on high volume.  Let all of our tweeters have a long and happy life.

eclein

• Volunteer
Awesome...enjoy!!! Take notice about 1 to 2 hours in how things tighten up.....see if we both hear the same thing 8)

Ericus Rex

Indeed. That's what I put it down as. Have been burning the unit in and it cetainly tamed down quite a bit. I have some other tubes that i can experiment with later to see how I can shape the sound to my preferences.

Do let us know your updated opinion once your unit has a few more hours on it.  Thanks!

milford3

Eclein, Rex,  I'm impressed for far. Very, very hot running.  but that is to be expected for this type (SET) tube amp. I'm keeping the db's down for now.  Listening to the new release of "Within Temptation" and it is (MP) to marry for.  Three hours in now am I'm hooked.    Next up is the tube rolling.  God I love this Hobbie.    Pink Floyd : "The Divison Bell" on now.  Rock on my friends!!

eclein

• Volunteer
Have a blast!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

monsterbill

• My audio set ups:
Milford, how noisy is the amp with your hi-eff speaks?  Hear any hum from your listening position with/without music.

My MP301 mk2 is coming next week, and I'm curious to get a sense of what is normal for these amps.

eclein

• Volunteer
Monsterbill- When I swapped out all four tubes the hum went away for me totally now, I'm sitting here and have had the amp on with speakers connected for the last 45 minutes and haven't heard a thing. Just some more info for ya :thumb:

milford3

I did  have a little hum at first.  Gone now at hour five.  God I love this.  Time for Rock music.  AC/DC anyone?? 

monsterbill

• My audio set ups:
Here's a long thread on re: the MP301-Mk2: 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536681/new-info-musical-paradise-mp-301-mk2/330

It's on Head-fi.org, but it has posts from folks using the amp both for speakers and headphones, including the OP.

Mostly complaints about flawed performance from folks who appear to be unpaid beta testers. Garry, the designer, appears to be handling it well, though.

I wish I had seen this before I ordered.  Hopefully I will get one of the good ones like Milford--If I return I doubt I can get a refund on the rather expensive shipping from Canada. 

eclein

• Volunteer
An update for anybody thinking about these amps. I got mine delivered 5/4 and at first there was not any hum until about 4-5 hours in I was getting a very audible hum at my listening position so much so that that evening I turned it off to give my ears a break. The next day I received an entirely new setup of tubes I had ordered from an online vendor and the hum was gone again only to come back sporadically to a lesser degree but still audible at my listening position. Garry Huang the designer of these amps in the thread noted in monsterbills post above pretty much blows off the hum as a none issue--its an issue!!! When continually pressed for a cause he maintains a position of this being a user problem.
 I don't know if he just does not know why the hum is there?
 or if its a problem he is running down and won't comment on yet?

All of this has come to light in the past few days so it is probably best to wait and see how this plays out before ordering.
We are finding out several things were not addressed when this amp was made and hopefully Garry will have this all worked out soon. When the amp performs as advertised it is a great sounding amp, excellent in fact but these other issues unfortunately have clouded that over a lot.

Between this thread here and the one at head-fi I was posting about the amps performance at the time I was making the post to each thread so it looks as if its fine here but over there, there are issues. Its a very fluid thing, sometimes it hums very loudly other times-dead quiet. Then a minimal hum, then quiet-its extremely intermittent and the first piece of equipment I have ever had that acts this way.
 This amp sounds good and I'll wait to see myself how these issues shake out-hopefully they will be resolved and the music will sound great again, I just wanted to let you guys know that there are issues being worked on at this time with this item.

JohnR

Hum is a Bum. Er.

Sell it, fix it, lose it, ebay it. Don't expect the vendor to do anything about it tho. In all fairness though, this can be a very tricky issue, I've had equipment that apparently only did it in a few per cent of cases. What I learned from that experience was don't even buy a kit, just make it from scratch, better success rate that way. YMMV.