unifield 3 setup

Afterimage

Re: unifield 3 setup
« Reply #20 on: 7 May 2011, 11:31 pm »
The Led shot with a funnel is the way to go.  Much much better.(thanks Disco).   I'm most know that already, but incase there is anyone else slow on the uptake like me I thought I would post it anyway.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 7 May 2011, 11:42 pm »
You must have a pretty big room Jack.  I think I am going to bring mine in a little closer or away from the side walls.  These things are a little tricky because they sound good pretty much where ever I place them, the trick though is to get them in position to sound at their best or potential.   A good problem to have I guess.
Good idea.  Get them off the side walls more but your triangle will become narrower unless . .  you can then move your seated position nearer to the new plane of the speakers.  Maintaining an equilateral triangle or nearly so will still give you a large and proportionate stage.  Can you come out to 55" to 60" off the back wall? 

thebearded1

« Reply #22 on: 8 May 2011, 12:24 pm »
I had filled the stands w sand but I then heard softness in the lower mids..I replaced the sand I got from a northeast store with sand from a Florida beach..the softness dissipated due to the humidity captured in the sand...but as I enjoyed mynturkey sandwich listening to sonny rollins, the soundstage seemed less 3d than experienced in the past...my wife then confessed that she had replaced my real mayonnaise with a low fat version without warning...once I spread on the good stuff and began to listen, the depth of soundstage returned...BUT, there was a harshness I was realizing!  I tinkered with toe-in between 42 and 42.325 degrees but my challenge was not solved.  I lowered the shades about 18 inches, replaced my stainless steel door knob with wood, repainted my walls with a non gloss paint, replaced the flat head screws in listening chair with Phillips head screws and even cleaned and scrubbed the threads of all the light bulbs in the room....still the harshness!  At last, I discovered the challenge.  Shame on me for not realizing this earlier!  I was not wearing any socks!  Of course.  I immediately pulled on some 70% wool mid shin, navy blue dress socks from the target and the harshness was gone!  Rollins never sounded so sweet! Though I may be noticing some faulty imaging...uh oh.

JackD201

« Reply #23 on: 8 May 2011, 01:13 pm »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #24 on: 8 May 2011, 03:14 pm »
Yeah well everyone talks about midrange liquidity.  How's about filling the stands half way with water...preferably from a spring in the vicinity of the JGH grave site  :thumb:

vincent28

« Reply #25 on: 8 May 2012, 03:12 pm »
hi guys,

i replaced the blue tack bet woofer and tweeter module with oyaide footers.

whats the recommendation from albert? is there a minimum height we need to maintain between the tweeter and woofer. mine is ard 1 inch height. would this affect the cohesiveness of the sound? with better separation, i hear the mids easily. any tradeoffs?

thanks, vincent

vincent28

« Reply #26 on: 8 May 2012, 03:13 pm »
would this affect time and phase?

wimck

« Reply #27 on: 11 May 2012, 07:39 pm »
they told me that there isn't anything sounding better than the originals!