looking for input

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
looking for input
« on: 29 Apr 2011, 01:23 pm »
I'm posting this here because I see both Zu and Tekton speakers discussed here regularly.  I know that each has it's proponents and the last thing I want is a heated debate.  Still...I'm looking into a high efficiency single or augmented single driver speaker and I'd like to hear from some owners or those who are quite familiar.  Here goes:

If you chose a Tekton Lore or a Zu Omen...what factors influenced your decision?  What differences do you hear tonally?  (I'm  very sensitive to a
forward or shrill upper midrange/lower treble, but don't want something that is so rolled off as to sound muted or dull)

I'm in the process of moving some equipment and probably would drive whatever I get with something single ended.    Any comments appreciated.
tnx,

Hibuck....

roscoeiii

Re: looking for input
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2011, 01:48 pm »
Both brands are getting a lot of great reviews. I am not sure many folks have had a chance to compare the two brands though. But there are Zu threads here and Lore threads here. Lots of discussion of the brands on AUdiogon as well...

doorman

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2011, 02:26 pm »
If your able to DIY at all, I can heartily recommend the MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 FR driver in the appropriate enclosure. (quite a few designs available incl. http://www.planet10-hifi.com)
I've built a fair number of SD speakers. this driver is extraordinary.
(realizing your question regards Zu speakers in particular, which I understand are very fine speakers)
Good Luck
don

chrisby

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2011, 05:14 pm »
"single ended"  power can run from less than watt to considerably more,  and even include SS devices - could you be a bit more specific?

and as Don notes, don't overlook the amount of fun to be had in rolling your own  - tons of projects to consider at
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/

hibuckhobby

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2011, 08:03 pm »
Either a 2A3 amp or a 300b.   If I came across a smokin' deal on a 845.
Hibuck...

Poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2011, 10:55 am »
I bought my Omens at their intro price of $999. I wouldn't have bought them had they been $500 more than the Lores. Although I've never heard the Lores I would imagine the sound is similar since they both use the 10 inch Eminence driver. The Lores' Audax super tweeter may be better but super tweets IMO don't make much of a difference. If this were a beauty contest the Omens would win hands down but honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I'm driving the Omens with a 2a3 SET which is just a crazy good combination.

hibuckhobby

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2011, 12:46 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I'm still working on saving up the loot to
try this out.  Great price on those Omes BTW.  :thumb:

sebrof

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2011, 09:43 pm »
I bought my Omens at their intro price of $999. I wouldn't have bought them had they been $500 more than the Lores. Although I've never heard the Lores I would imagine the sound is similar since they both use the 10 inch Eminence driver. The Lores' Audax super tweeter may be better but super tweets IMO don't make much of a difference. If this were a beauty contest the Omens would win hands down but honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I'm driving the Omens with a 2a3 SET which is just a crazy good combination.

I've owned Omens since December and thought the Omens and Lores would sound very similar as well. They do not. I got a pair of Lores a little over a week ago, and after breaking them in I compared them to the Omens. In my small room with my DIY 2A3 amp, and in my friend's larger room with a 100 watt EL34 amp. In both cases I and both my audio buddies preferred the Lores. Not by a small margin I'm afraid. Of course, different systems etc etc and someone else could see it differently.
Go to Audiogon to get a more complete picture.
FWIW - I do really like the Omens, and I was very surprised at what I heard from the Lores.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2011, 01:17 am »
sebrof,

I see that you own the Zu Omens, the Tekton Lores and the Tekton Katz Meow. So who's getting neglected?

sebrof

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2011, 01:59 am »
sebrof,

I see that you own the Zu Omens, the Tekton Lores and the Tekton Katz Meow. So who's getting neglected?

Well, lately I've been the one getting neglected bacause I've been lugging the Omens and Lores in and out of my room, and over to my friend's house. But now that I've had a good comparison finished I'm pretty much done with that.
In my room to me, the Lores are the better speakers out of the bunch. They get main duty for sure. The Katz V1 have been downstairs in the living room so I can listen during the day, and they're smaller so my wife doesn't mind them being there. They're also very good in an untreated room and placed "wherever", I guess maybe because the room boundries affect them less or something. But they sound pretty darn good and fill the LR nicely with an 8-watt SEP.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2011, 03:48 am »
If your able to DIY at all...

... and you can do a better than either for less.

dave

sebrof

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2011, 11:25 am »
... and you can do a better than either for less.
dave

True, but especially in the case of the $1000 Lore, not much better and not much less.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2011, 12:41 pm »
It appears from the photos and specs that the Lores use the unmodified Eminence whizzer cone drivers. The Omens, while using the same basic driver, employ billet aluminium phase plugs, treated cones and a higher impedance.

Due to those "motorcycle expansion chamber inspired" bottom finger ports the Omens are crazy tricky to set up. Using lag bolt feet mine are raised 2 1/2 inches in front and 1 inch in back and rest on a plinth of granite.

sebrof

« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2011, 02:33 pm »
Due to those "motorcycle expansion chamber inspired" bottom finger ports the Omens are crazy tricky to set up. Using lag bolt feet mine are raised 2 1/2 inches in front and 1 inch in back and rest on a plinth of granite.
You got that right. In my room after about a full month of break in and then listening and tweaking I ended up with about 3/4" in front and 1/2" in back on solid boards.
The Lores were Plug N Play by comparison, but I'm still fine tuning after a week and a half.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2011, 03:49 am »
True, but especially in the case of the $1000 Lore, not much better and not much less.

We were looking at this design today. $250 or so worth of drivers & XO (at retail).

I have at least a 1/2 dozen diy speakers here, that on various levels, would out-perfrm them. None of them would cost near $1000 to execute.

dave

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2011, 04:12 am »
We were looking at this design today. $250 or so worth of drivers & XO (at retail).

I have at least a 1/2 dozen diy speakers here, that on various levels, would out-perfrm them. None of them would cost near $1000 to execute.

dave

In all fairness though, this assumes you have all the tools and resources on hand to build; factoring in first time costs and time(!) will hit close to that 1k right quick - especially if using your recommended bracing :D :wink:  plus not all of us have access to cheap lumber like it seems you have in your neck of the woods!

That said, yes, for much less than $1k one could DIY one heck of a speaker.

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2011, 04:22 am »
With the Soul Superflys I am auditioning right now, I'd say the most noticeable difference after swapping out my DIY full range drivers in their ported boxes (12" Audio Nirvana drivers in the anclosure design recommended by Common Sense audio) is in the benefits of a solid cabinet with much less resonance in the bass frequencies. I will be A/Bing these two speakers in good time. But that is what caught my attention first. Soul Superflys also have 16 ohm drivers, which is a better match with my Atma-sphere S-30.

Depending on how this comparison works out I figure I will either conclude that a) there are things that professional cabinet makers/speaker designers are just better at or b) that I need to find some good resources on how I can improve the resonance of my DIY cabinets and that I need to get around to that EnaBL treatment.

Will report more in good time. But for now, gotta say I am enjoying the hell outta these Superflys.

That said, any recommendations to improve on a DIY speaker are also most welcome...
« Last Edit: 11 May 2011, 05:55 am by roscoeiii »

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2011, 08:52 am »
In all fairness though, this assumes you have all the tools and resources on hand to build; factoring in first time costs and time(!) will hit close to that 1k right quick - especially if using your recommended bracing

If you throw flat-paks into the equation, perhaps not. A different set of trade-offs than the Lore, but a FH3 flat-pak with drivers would be in the mix for <1/2 k$ (ignoring shipping) with only the need of some clamps, glue, screwdriver(s) & soldering gun. With a little creativity you might get away with no clamps. And whatever you need to finish them.

dave

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2011, 09:06 am »
I built my first few speakers using a borrowed circular saw and a dremel. So it can be done. I don't think however that cost is the question, it's whether someone wants to do it or not. Some do, some don't.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2011, 12:38 pm »
I built the Mk3's and my cost was around $300 not counting sweat equity. While I'm crazy about the Frugal Horns they don't have the big meaty sound of the Omens. The MK3's sound more refined while the Omens are as boisterous as a live dance hall.