MacBook Pro laptop bag recommendation

brj

MacBook Pro laptop bag recommendation
« on: 25 Apr 2011, 11:08 pm »
Greetings everyone.

In other Apple Core threads I've seen specific bags recommended for the iPad and Macbook Air, but nothing for their larger brethren.

In my case, I'm looking to transport a personal laptop and not a work laptop, so I really don't need to carry much besides the computer itself and it's power supply, with maybe a small pocket for odds and ends.  I will happily trade storage capacity for low-bulk.  So... something clean and simple, yet durable, having a comfortable shoulder strap, able to protect my computer from the bumps and bruises of travel, and ideally "checkpoint friendly" as defined by the TSA.

I've seen general recommendations for Tom Bihn and Crumpler.  Any other brands or, better yet, specific recommendations?

Thanks!

Pez

Re: MacBook Pro laptop bag recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2011, 11:41 pm »
Bihn is the best. Don't waste your time with any other brands IMO. The checkpoint flyer looks like just the ticket for you.

Edit: regarding the shoulder strap definitely invest the extra and get the bihn absolute strap. I have one for my ristretto and it is awesome. Thinking about buying a few more for other shoulder bags i have.

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2011, 11:42 pm »
Tom Bihn stuff is made to fit like a glove and their details are impeccable.  Make most other stuff made for Apple look like PCs vs Apple competition, clunky and amateurish. 

I myself have bought a vertical brain bag for both my older Powerbook G4 12" and a VB bag for my 2009 Unibody 15" lap which I use for a newer 2011 MBP 12"+1 Ipad.  It is extremely well made. 

brj

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2011, 01:11 am »
Thanks for the feedback.

True, the Checkpoint Flyer folds out so I don't have to unpack the MBP, but looking at images of it unfolded, it looks quite bulky.  The Checkpoint Flyer Case (alone - without the rest of the Flyer) would almost be enough by itself if it had a good shoulder strap and a pocket for the power supply and other sundries.

For what it's worth, I've had recommendations for Ogio and Swiss Gear as well.

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2011, 01:13 am »
I owned a Swiss gear. It's not bad, but it's no where near the quality or layout of the Bihn bags. I will say it is probably better than most of the made in China bags. But again, Bihn is made in the USA.

Bemopti123

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2011, 01:16 am »
But again, Bihn is made in the USA.

I say this is a big selling point :thumb: but it will cradle stuff made in China :duh: :icon_twisted:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2011, 02:49 am »
Here is an option - I got a black one in the Apple Store. Coated canvas vertical sling case - very comfortable on the shoulder and it stays on.

This one is olive.

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/canvas-vertical-sling-cl55136