Hotel recommendation for Boston

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Hotel recommendation for Boston
« on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:42 pm »
We want to fly in on Sunday the 3rd,  catch the July 4th firework, tour main attractions, catch a whale viewing boat ride and a Red Sox game on Thursday before flying out on Friday the 8th.  I am looking at Ritz BC, Sheraton Boston, and Lenox.  Recommendations on any of them or other ones would be greatly appreciated.

sts9fan

Re: Hotel recommendation for Boston
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2011, 06:07 pm »
Those will all put you in a nice central area but I have never stayed in them. You could also look at The Boston Harbor Hotel or Hotel Nine Zero

BostonHighEnd

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2011, 06:20 pm »
My wife and I occasionally apend  a weekend in Boston (even though we live 7 miles north) and our favorites ar the Boston Harbor Hotel and the Hotel Marlowe across the river in Cambridge. The later having nice suites with 2 person Jacuzzis for a little extra romance.

Oh and did I mention that the Hotel Marlowe also has Bose Wave radios so its a dream come true for audiophiles (-:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2011, 06:21 pm »
Are there any that has roof top bar/restaurant where you can see the fireworks if I don't want to go to The Esplanade?

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2011, 06:30 pm »
I am not sure about that.  To view the fireworks you will want to be on or near the river.  So Beacon Hill or Cambridge.  The Cambridge Hyatt on Memorial Drive would be good.  Even if you don't go to the esplanade walking on the river is were its at.  You want to feel the fireworks. 

BostonHighEnd

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2011, 12:10 am »
I agree with Kris that you want to be outside for the fireworks. The Esplanade has always seemed like a big endeavor with many people camping out long before and I can't say the Boston Pops does much for me. Consequently, we've been watching the fireworks from the Cambridge side of the river for almost 30 years. I remember in the early 80s strolling out of the Muddy Charles (an MIT pub) when the fireworks started and being there with a handful of other people. These days its much more of a mob scene, but still relatively accessible just prior to the event.

For this approach, my prior recomendation (Hotel Marlowe) works well, but there is also the Hotel Sonesta across the street which may in fact also have rooms with fireworks views. They also have a restaraunt called Dante that is one of our favorites. They usually do something special for the fireworks, but you have to walk doen the street a bit to get a good view.

Will2

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2011, 12:24 am »
The Liberty hotel is quite cool, near the river, nice rooms, and very reasonable prices for the quality.  It isn't in a very popular part of town, which I think is why the rates are lower than comparable quality hotels, but for your purposes might work well given the location near the river.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:50 pm »
Thanks for all your inputs but it was all for naught. I got outvoted.  :duh:  I wanted to sit on top of the Green Monster for a game but my wife and daughter wanted something else.  You see I had presented a couple of ideas and really lobbied for the Boston trip but a castle in Canada won out.

So off to Quebec City we are in July.  No fireworks either as I don't see Canadians celebrating our Independence Day.  Well, the hotel we are staying should present a lot of photo ops.  It holds the Guinness record for the most photographed hotel in the world.

BTW, Liberty Hotel ain't cheap.  Le Chateau Frontenac is cheaper.

I am really hoping for some good wine and food.

soundbitten1

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2011, 01:24 pm »
You won't be sorry woodsyi. We vacationed in Quebec City last June (after considering Boston also) and had a great time. Rented an apartment in Upper Old Town near Le Chateau Frontenac. It's a great visual area, like stepping back in Old Europe and yes, the food and wine is very good.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2011, 01:53 pm »
  Good choice Woodsyi. I was going to say te best hotel in Boston is in NYC.  :lol: Enjoy your vacation.

charles