Recommendations for a CD transport or player under $500

charmerci

Re: Recommendations for a CD transport or player under $500
« Reply #20 on: 22 Apr 2011, 06:07 pm »
The Pioneer's with Stable Platter design like the PD65 and 59 are good transports.

I always thought they were a good idea. I wonder why that never caught on or why someone doesn't continue producing something similar.

HT cOz

« Reply #21 on: 22 Apr 2011, 10:59 pm »
I would figure out a way to get one of these!  http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/CD7FV/CD7SEFVEN.htm

Dave_b

« Reply #22 on: 27 Apr 2011, 09:25 pm »
The NAD C565BEE is absolutely world class...it will floor you for $799 list or half that used.  PS I've owned $15K players that didn't get it right the way this gem does:O)

Ryanz

« Reply #23 on: 27 Apr 2011, 10:29 pm »
The NAD C565BEE is absolutely world class...it will floor you for $799 list or half that used.  PS I've owned $15K players that didn't get it right the way this gem does:O)

I agree. It's a mighty fine CDP for less than 1k.   

owenmd

« Reply #24 on: 27 Apr 2011, 10:40 pm »
As Phil A mentioned.... I've just bought the $500 Oppo BDP-93 for use specifically as a Universal, do-it-all, digital transport.  It will drive my Zodiac+/Voltikus DAC.  I should get it Friday and am curious to see how it performs in that role..?

Cheers,

Mark

Phil A

« Reply #25 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:05 pm »
As Phil A mentioned.... I've just bought the $500 Oppo BDP-93 for use specifically as a Universal, do-it-all, digital transport.  It will drive my Zodiac+/Voltikus DAC.  I should get it Friday and am curious to see how it performs in that role..?

Cheers,

Mark

If you are going to use it with a DAC, consider getting something like - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

You can use one of the outputs of the BDP with an HDMI cable to the unit and a digital coax cable (or toslink) to the DAC and have the BDP-93 output PCM from SACD.  Will beat many expensive SACD players.  You can play with HDMI cables for sound and get a better power supply.  Anything designed for a (5v) Squeezebox Touch power supply will work with the linked unit

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2011, 02:49 am »
The Audio-gd and NAD C565BEE new are getting a bit far a field of cheap and cheerful, the NAD C565BEE used at the $569 quoted is pushing it.  Please remember the OP's target of $500 or less, with an emphasis on less.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2011, 03:13 am »
The Audio-gd and NAD C565BEE new are getting a bit far a field of cheap and cheerful, the NAD C565BEE used at the $569 quoted is pushing it.  Please remember the OP's target of $500 or less, with an emphasis on less.

YES!  Thanks.  Here is where I am at the moment:  Marantz CD5004 new, a couple different models of Music Hall and Cambridge Audio, new or used, Emotiva ERC-1 (probably used).  There is a used Shanling PCD3000A in that range, as well.

All of these can be had for $300-$375, new or used, depending.  I missed a chance to buy a demo unit Marantz 5004 at $249, which I think was a heck of a deal...

Among this group, likes and dislikes?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #28 on: 29 Apr 2011, 03:57 am »
The NAD C565BEE used is under $500.  And it is 10X better than anything that I've seen listed in this thread.

While I like NAD products and have no doubt it's a fine machine, there are none presently offered on eBay even in completed listings and the two offered on A-gon are $599 for a used one and $569 for refurbished, perhaps the seller you purchased yours from.  I'm sure it's a fair price and I hope you have many years of enjoyment from yours, however it's only sin is being too pricey for the Cheap and Cheerful circle and double the price of what the OP is looking at, so unfortunately cannot be recommended here.

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2011, 04:02 am »
I would look at the Onix cd88 on ac, that was a pretty good deal at $200.00

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2011, 09:35 am »
The NAD C565BEE used is under $500.  And it is 10X better than anything that I've seen listed in this thread.
i am not sure if "10x better than anything that I've seen listed in this thread" really has much meaning.  :scratch:

doug s.

JoshK

« Reply #31 on: 29 Apr 2011, 01:57 pm »
If the budget can be stretched a bit to under $700, you can get the Lite LT-ONE

http://www.cattylink.com/litelt1.html

I just ordered one along with the DAC-83.  I haven't received it yet, but I read that its build quality is second to none.  I like that it has coax, AES and I2S outputs.  Ergonomics are awesome, it looks killer and its a top loader using a great transport mechanism.  What's not to like?  Pretty darn good for a bit more than the $500. 

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2011, 03:05 pm »
I would look at the Onix cd88 on ac, that was a pretty good deal at $200.00

the onix cdps cd1 cd3 cd8 make good transports

TONEPUB

« Reply #33 on: 29 Apr 2011, 03:08 pm »
I've got a virtue for sale...  If you ate interested, PM me.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 29 Apr 2011, 03:12 pm »
Since you already have a computer put your money into a dac and be done with spinning Cd's.  You will be much happier with the ease and quality of the computer based system.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #35 on: 29 Apr 2011, 04:34 pm »
Hey Josh!

Please come back later to this post and let us know how you like that transport. It looks very nice for the money. I got a price quote of $858 with shipping when I clicked add to cart. I didn't buy it, I was just checking the price. Even though that's a few bills over the OP's budget, it's still pretty damn cheap if you ask me. (So is the NAD mentioned earlier.)

If it plays well and sounds good, then it's cheerful too. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #36 on: 5 May 2011, 02:19 pm »
You right it did come in that high.  I got the transport and the DAC together from that link and it was cheaper than elsewhere, shipped as they don't charge more for shipping with two items.  DIY-gene also sells the transport for around the same price so you could try there too.  I think he charged $140 shipping. 

jparkhur

« Reply #37 on: 5 May 2011, 03:45 pm »
Oppo 83 Regular......???

owenmd

« Reply #38 on: 5 May 2011, 05:25 pm »
If you are going to use it with a DAC, consider getting something like - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

You can use one of the outputs of the BDP with an HDMI cable to the unit and a digital coax cable (or toslink) to the DAC and have the BDP-93 output PCM from SACD.  Will beat many expensive SACD players.  You can play with HDMI cables for sound and get a better power supply.  Anything designed for a (5v) Squeezebox Touch power supply will work with the linked unit

Hi Phil A,

Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Curious... You are saying that HDMI 2 audio is higher quality than the coax digital out... presumably because of bandwidth throttling issues?  Surely, if you go HDMI to this neat little switch, then back to coax or optical for entry to the DAC, then don't you still have the same throttling issue...?  I can see the switch would be useful for adapting different formats, but surely the extra interface and throttling back again wouldn't give an increase in sound quality...?  Are you saying that the pure PCM signal exceeds these other limitations?

Please correct me if I'm missing something here...?

Cheers,
Mark

Phil A

« Reply #39 on: 5 May 2011, 06:51 pm »
Mark - with the Oppo it will pass DVD-A over its coax digital out but not SACD.  Inserting the de-embedder between the player and the DAC allows you to pass SACD converted to PCM via HDMI and then you take the coax digital out of the de-embedder to your DAC.  I've not noticed any loss of quality on DVD-A and I have a modded BDP-83 and I prefer (with perhaps very rare exceptions) listening to 2 channel SACD converting it to PCM via the de-embedder vs. the Oppo's analog outs.

I'm also using an upgraded power suppy with the de-embedder in the main system.  Anything that will fit the Squeezebox Touch will work.  I'm using the Channel Islands (ciaudio.com) power supply as the wal-wart that comes with the de-embedder is your standard run of the mill $4 job.  I have a Bryston DAC in the main system.  I also have a de-embedder in the secondary basement system.  I'm using it with my Emotiva DAC.  I am using the power supply that came with the Squeezebox Touch (which I have in the main system with an upgraded power supply) vs. the one that came with the de-embedder as it is better in my opinion