Recommendations for a CD transport or player under $500

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
My old and much abused NAD 512 player, which I've been using as a transport,  finally toddled off to digital heaven today.  For a number of years, it's been running through a Theta Cobalt dac, and I've been very pleased with the sound of that combination.

I'd welcome recommendations for a decent transport or player that I could buy new or used for under $500, that I could expect to sound at least as good with my current DAC, or with it's own internal DAC.  Only restriction to run with the Cobalt is the player has to have either RCA coax digital or Toslink optical output.

I know this is all old gear, but it's always sounded very fine to me.

Rest of the system, BTW, is the Theta Cobalt DAC, Parasound PLD 2000 preamp, and modded Hafler DH220 feeding Proac Studio Two's and an Energy 150 sub.  For headphone listening, the DAC output is cross-patched to a Home Headroom amp driving HD600 cans.

arthur

Re: Recommendations for a CD transport or player under $500
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2011, 05:11 am »
If you are in LA area, I can give you my Sony dvp7000, which is a great transport. The only problem with it is that I might have damaged something while trying to put the stock power cord back in. Even if it costs you $200 to fix it, it's still well worth it.

Chromisdesigns

• Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2011, 05:22 am »
If you are in LA area, I can give you my Sony dvp7000, which is a great transport. The only problem with it is that I might have damaged something while trying to put the stock power cord back in. Even if it costs you $200 to fix it, it's still well worth it.

Hi Arthur -

I have read good things about that player.  But I have a question -- being members of the .0001 percent of the US population subset who doesn't believe in TV, we don't have one...so I can't use anything that requires a video screen to setup and/or use.  This leaves out a number of DVD players that might otherwise be suitable.  Does the Sony need the video side to work?

I'm in San Francisco, by the way.

Regards,

Bob

starkiller

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2011, 06:08 am »
For what its worth I have a Sony CDP-c8ESD with the TD1541A chip, I think it sounds very good anyway.  I am in Seattle so shipping shouldnt be too bad :thumb:

arthur

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2011, 07:56 am »
I've been a happy, card carrying member of the same percentile for quite a while now, so no need for any tv's to use it as a cd player/transport.

But here is the full story about it before you plan a trip:

It was working flawlessly. Then I pulled out the original power cord and jammed in an aftermarket cord over the prongs of the receptacle of the original power cord harness. I also had to enlarge the hole in the chasi to accommodate the larger cord. The sound got considerably better, regardless of which DAC I used.

Then, when I switched to wireless computer audio and set up the Empirical Pace Car connected to the Scott Nixon TubeDAC+ , the sound went from great to amazing. So I ripped all my CDs and never looked back. Recently, I purchased a power conditioner so I decided to pull the aftermarket power cable from the Sony to use it on the conditioner. The removal went smooth, but the reattachment of the stock cable was quite difficult because I had used a bit of epoxy to keep the aftermarket power cable in place.  Eventually I got it in, but now only the power light lights up red, and nothing else works. I don't know if I did any damage to the small circuit board on which the power receptacle was mounted, or if it's something else.

2gumby2

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2011, 12:18 pm »
The Marantz CD5004 has a good reputation. I own a couple of Marantz players and they are very nice.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2011, 12:48 pm »
Here's what Decware mods for their $1049.00 CDP:

http://www.bing.com/shopping/tascam-cd-200i-cd-player/p/C7753C22DB2EFCCC2A83?q=tascam+cd-200i+review&FORM=HURE

Here's the Decware CDP:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZCD.htm

It's a professional (CD only) player with iPod tray for $300 (or less).  Heavily built (Teac drive), quick responding, good sound quality, great imaging, super value, variable output headphone jack, charges the iPod while in tray, basic iPod control from its remote control, SPDIF coaxial and optical outputs, rack mountable, even has video outputs.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2011, 01:47 pm »
Emotiva has a new model coming out, the ERC-2 for $449.  Might be nice to have the latest and greatest.  They also tout it's quality as a transport, including a balanced digital out with the standard coax and optical.  I haven't heard the line, but they have been very well reviewed online and professionally.
http://emotiva.com/erc2.shtm

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2011, 01:56 pm »
I like my old Marantz DV9600 as a CD transport.  It is also an excellent DVD-A player and an OK SACD player.  I'd imagine they can be had for under $500.

Chromisdesigns

• Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2011, 06:09 pm »
There is a local guy with a Cal Audio Labs CL-20 asking $425 for it.  I know it got pretty good reviews back when it came out.  What do you think about buying a used one now?

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2011, 07:08 pm »
There is a local guy with a Cal Audio Labs CL-20 asking $425 for it.  I know it got pretty good reviews back when it came out.  What do you think about buying a used one now?

I don't know anything about the unit but I believe it is about 13 years old.  For a transport, I might be concerned if parts are even still available.  Personally, I would not consider something that old.  Besides the Marantz DV9600 in the mainly system, I have a modded Oppo BDP-83.  It's not as good as the Marantz as a transport but it is not bad.  I have the BDP-93 in the bedroom system but I have not tried it as a transport yet.  The transport mechanism in the 93 seems smoother than the 83.  You could buy a brand new 93 for $500 or if you did not want a universal player the Emotiva CD player ( I have their DAC in the secondary basement system)

Poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2011, 01:33 pm »
I have an old Rotel 855 with the TDA1541A chip which sounds as good as my Chinese tubed top loader.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2011, 03:50 pm »
.....charges the iPod while in tray, basic iPod control from its remote control, SPDIF coaxial and optical outputs, rack mountable, even has video outputs.

JLM,

do you know if it routes the digital out from the ipod through the coax spdif output?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:31 pm »
JLM,

do you know if it routes the digital out from the ipod through the coax spdif output?

No, I don't.  But you might try calling Steve or brousing the Decware forum if you can't get an answer from the manufacturer or vendors.

srb

« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:36 pm »

According to the TASCAM CD-200i specifications:

• RCA unbalanced line outputs (CD and iPod)
  • Coaxial and Optical S/PDIF digital out (CD only)

http://tascam.com/product/cd-200i/specifications/

Steve

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:47 pm »
I'm selling my Emotiva ERC-1. PM if interested.

I have been using it as a transport and it is excellent in this capacity.

Edit; sold on audiogon within hours.

« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2011, 07:33 pm by Rclark »

Quiet Earth

« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2011, 09:30 pm »
Thanks Steve!  :thumb:  I was looking in the owners manual.  :duh:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2011, 11:35 pm »
i have an audio alchemy acd pro, cdp, w/pioneer stable-platter system.  (the disc goes in upside-down.)  supposed to be an excellent cdp in its own right; it is a killer transport.  (i have only used it w/a dac.)

there's one on agon, asking $449; it's still f/s after 32 days; you could likely get it for less...   8)

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1305772218

doug s.

Chromisdesigns

• Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2011, 11:56 pm »
i have an audio alchemy acd pro, cdp, w/pioneer stable-platter system.  (the disc goes in upside-down.)  supposed to be an excellent cdp in its own right; it is a killer transport.  (i have only used it w/a dac.)

there's one on agon, asking $449; it's still f/s after 32 days; you could likely get it for less...   8)

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1305772218

doug s.

I was looking at that one, as I have an AA phono preamp I like a lot, but am concerned over the age and availability of parts should it fail.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 22 Apr 2011, 12:20 am »
The Pioneer's with Stable Platter design like the PD65 and 59 are good transports.