So I went out chasing tornados!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: So I went out chasing tornados!
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2011, 05:06 pm »
Marveling at nature's power does not imply indifference to human suffering.
We thrill to a Hawaiian lava flow, beautiful deep snow or the winter ice breakup, without regard to the potential damage to human life when snow-melt floods occur or a volcano wipes out a city.  I've stood on a hill in Central Texas and watched an entire hurricane, from edge-to-edge, move into East Texas.  And visited Yellowstone Park, the beautiful result of a cataclysmic eruption.

Cheap shots at people fascinated by Ma Nature is not called for.  I have been within blocks of a two tornados and seen the damage.  My wife lost a house to a tornado years ago, and just recently some coworkers experienced the same.  And Friday I was working outside in areas swept by the storms.  It doesn't make me (or Frank) callous for wanting to see and photograph tornados, heavy seas, or lightning.

Weather, combined with taking calculated risks (living in a trailer or not having a shelter in Tornado Alley, driving through flooded roads, standing in the path of the storm to get lightning photos, which, by the way, I have done many times  :duh: :duh) plays a role in the gamble that is life. 

There are certain ways that people push their luck (think me and the Darwin Awards).  I have to pass on a TV interview from the storm areas.  Friday storms and tornados were threatening Alabama's Talladega race track.  The local TV crew interviewed race fans, and one guy said "Well, it it gets real bad we'll just get in the camper and hold on!"    :scratch: :duh: :duh: :duh: :lol:

Frank, you have no apologies to make.  It's your "bucket list"

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #21 on: 18 Apr 2011, 05:26 pm »
Thunderbrick...

I agree with you!

My comments were not meant as a slam against Frank or storm chasers...its was just odd, wierd timing that Frank was living out one of his dreams etc...and a slew of storms blew thru our state producing death and destruction.

I was commenting on how something can be both an awe and wonder and yet causes pain and suffering.

There were many pix and video feeds from storm chasers here in North Carolina that were really humbling.

Mother Nature is not to be taken lightly....its beauty and awesome power is somthing to behold for sure.

I can honestly say I understand Franks desire to do what he did, and I can honestly say that if given a like opprortunity I would do the same...

To all the people that were affected by these storms our prayers, thoughts and best wishes go out to you and your families...

Frank...its good to see your 70 years 'young'!!

All the best
Alex

werd

« Reply #22 on: 18 Apr 2011, 05:42 pm »
So Frank, what costs more chasing the tornadoes or chasing the ladies?.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #23 on: 18 Apr 2011, 06:30 pm »
Some of you know I have a degree in Atmospheric Science, worked at the National Weather Service for a short time before a budget cut and layoff.  But severe weather was always my thing, and I've been storm chasing ever since.  I have an Uncle who's into storms also, and supplies the vehicle for chases.  We've totaled 2 trucks over the years, one from hail damage and the other from a tree falling onto it while we were taking cover in a concrete shelter. 

The rush you get from being that close to natures raw fury is impossible to describe, and something that every adrenaline junkie needs to experience at least once.  But more than anything, don't even think about going without a good guide that knows where to put you in relation to the storm.  The guide needs to be able to read the inflow currents and know where the storm is going.  Tornadoes often move 50+ mph, and when you're on some back country road, you're going to have a hard time getting away if you end up in the wrong place.  They can also drop right on top of you if you're in the wrong spot.  One time I remember being in the wrong spot, looking up and seeing what looked like a spinning donut.  I was looking into the tornado from directly below, and thought "that's not good".  We jumped in the truck and headed the opposite direction of it's movement, and about 90 seconds later it dropped just behind us. 

Whether guys like Frank and myself are out there chasing or not, people are going to die from storms of all kinds.  Chasers over the years have saved hundreds if not thousands of lives by providing accurate early warning.  Back in May of '03 I was chasing a cluster down in SE Kansas and SW Missouri and provided some information to the local NWS that I hoped saved some lives ... because lives were lost in many towns during those storms, and the main street in Pierce City, MO looked like a tactical nuke went off.  I can't believe it wouldn't have been much worse without accurate warnings. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #24 on: 18 Apr 2011, 06:37 pm »
So Frank, what costs more chasing the tornadoes or chasing the ladies?.

Either way, if you do it wrong, you're gonna lose a house.....................or your ass.   
 :lol:

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #25 on: 19 Apr 2011, 06:42 am »
Dear Frank,I sincerely apoligize for what I said previously and my spelling.I would have chased tornados too,if I had the chance.Then all hell happened right after the trip.I read your article on tornados Saturday night before I went out and lost my mind,54 now mind you,beer,a Willie Nelson (Fatty),and 1 tall shot of cheap whiskey that gave me the courage to sing Some Where Out There with the female DJ for my night was over.When I woke up on my futon and saw the news,I was still not thinking.I wrote that message,but for 2 days wanted to retract it,I just did not how.Your second response was great,that I did not read because I jumped ahead and the best defense against tornados would be to have a traveling team of enthusists giving important info,thats free meteoroligists!Also,Frank,I live in Maine and we hardly ever get a tornado,and North Carolina has the shapes,mountains,and land mass like Maine.No one ever could know they would strike there.I'm really am sorry for what I said,and would still like to be a handshake or telephone call away to keep my never ending intrest in hi-fi...sincerely Mark Korda..PS..Give Wayner a raise,he's agreat guy too.