Icon-2 and S-1 compatibility?

bernardl

Icon-2 and S-1 compatibility?
« on: 11 Apr 2011, 12:41 am »
Just decided to upgrade my Icon to Icon-2... and then found a post stating that Icon-2 might not be compatible with my S-1 speakers.

Where does the truth lie and what would the problem be?

Thks.

Cheers,
Bernard

srb

Re: Icon-2 and S-1 compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2011, 02:03 am »
I believe the S-1 speakers are designed to be used with a midrange compensation circuit built into the Icon amplifier which is engaged when using Cat-5/6 speaker cables with RJ-45 connectors on both ends.

The Icon-2 amplifier, according to the NuForce website, is "not compatible with S-1 speakers", most likely because it does not have this compensation circuitry.

Steve

bernardl

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2011, 03:35 am »
Thank you Steve,

I see, any idea what would happen in case I try anyway? :)

Is there a risk to damage amp/speaker or are we only speaking about non optimal sound?

Regards,
Bernard

srb

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2011, 03:57 am »
Apparently the full-range driver's waveguide increases gain and dispersion, while decreasing distortion, but it also inherently boosts midrange frequencies that must be tamed by the compensation circuit.  My guess is that without the filter present you would have a non-linear shouting midrange response, but not necessarily cause damage.

But you will have to wait for one of the NuForce people to comment, who would know for sure if this is true or not.

Steve
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2011, 03:47 pm by srb »