Here's $5,000 build the best system you can.

kip_

Re: Here's $5,000 build the best system you can.
« Reply #80 on: 29 Sep 2011, 03:00 am »
Here's what I would get:

Selah Verita (ported) $2050
AVA Vision DAC 1099
Onix SP3 (used) $500
Mac Mini $500
~1k left for room treatments and cables

LobsterClaws

• Catapulting propaganda one day at a time.......
« Reply #81 on: 29 Sep 2011, 10:17 pm »
Speakers deserve the majority of the budget. A properly designed speaker takes money. Great polar response, high efficiency, able to hit peaks over 120 db, and good build quality plus any subwoofer supplementation needed will cost a decent amount. My current system has $4,000 mains, a $1300 sub (custom, would cost more otherwise) and two other less expensive subwoofers all run by a receiver that cost me only a few hundred. My system measures well, can reach reference levels, and most importantly sounds great to me. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Part of this, I think, is due to the fact that modern sources are quite good. Modern amplifiers are quite good (but take expertise just like anything else). As long as a person has the knowledge necessary, I believe they are best off investing heavily into speakers. This route, however, will leave someone unable to tinker much (except for incorporating the subs into the system).

Besides...if you invest into a system with bad polar response, you're going to need to spend a bit to get proper in room response through room treatments.

I appreciate the response. I too am now just getting back into Hi-Fi after a 20 year layoff. A co-worker of mine came over to the house and flipped out over my 1990's era system in the rec room and wants to buy it all (for a pretty decent price I might add), which has now renewed my interest in it, and has me thinking starting all over with modern gear. I have a set of JBL L250Ti's, a Carver TFM-55, and a Nakamichi CD-4, and an old billy bags stand, and some old Tributaries cables,(My old Technics tuner died years ago) and he's made an offer of $2500 for everything. From what research I've done, my speakers and stand are about all that's worth anything, with the Carver at most a couple hundred, so I'm not sure if he's crazy or what. Who knows, I ain't sold it yet. Anyways, which brings me here, and researching a new system for around the $5k mark. I figured if I go ahead and get 2.5 from him, I'd add my own 2.5 and try and come up with a decent system around 5 give or take.

Was gonna head up to Audio Advice in Raleigh not this weekend but next and check out some Maggies and Aerial Accoustics. Maybe some PSB's and Vandersteens. We'll see.

Thanks for all the information guys! This has been a great thread! Keep up the posts!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #82 on: 29 Sep 2011, 11:04 pm »
Well, OPPO has a new $995 digital player that's gettin some A+ reviews.  Prima Luna has a $2,600 tube integrated with a phono stage that's gettin some serious raves at places like Stereophile.  Soundfield Audio Monitor 1's look interesting and are being talked about here on AC (see the Enclosure Circle) that I THINK are very efficient, low wattage requirement.  That just leaves cabling and a turntable and cartridge (dunno what the PL accepts) if you still have records.  Might wanna add an UberBUSS PC from Dave Standard down the road.  Yer gonna have fun!  I'm jealous.         

Rclark

« Reply #83 on: 29 Sep 2011, 11:08 pm »
I appreciate the response. I too am now just getting back into Hi-Fi after a 20 year layoff. A co-worker of mine came over to the house and flipped out over my 1990's era system in the rec room and wants to buy it all (for a pretty decent price I might add), which has now renewed my interest in it, and has me thinking starting all over with modern gear. I have a set of JBL L250Ti's, a Carver TFM-55, and a Nakamichi CD-4, and an old billy bags stand, and some old Tributaries cables,(My old Technics tuner died years ago) and he's made an offer of $2500 for everything. From what research I've done, my speakers and stand are about all that's worth anything, with the Carver at most a couple hundred, so I'm not sure if he's crazy or what. Who knows, I ain't sold it yet. Anyways, which brings me here, and researching a new system for around the $5k mark. I figured if I go ahead and get 2.5 from him, I'd add my own 2.5 and try and come up with a decent system around 5 give or take.

Was gonna head up to Audio Advice in Raleigh not this weekend but next and check out some Maggies and Aerial Accoustics. Maybe some PSB's and Vandersteens. We'll see.

Thanks for all the information guys! This has been a great thread! Keep up the posts!

Have fun and welcome  :thumb: :thumb:

Love the Shazam logo too.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #84 on: 29 Sep 2011, 11:47 pm »
the speakers alone are likely worth $2500.  the rack is likely worth something, and i have seen that amp adwertized for anywhere from $400-$800.

those speakers have quite a following; i have never heard them, but i would like to.  if i awreddy had them, i'd be considering tube amplification strongly, tube preamplification definitely, and perhaps a crossover rebuild.  i'd definitely not be getting rid of them until i found their replacement, that i liked better in my own home.   8)

ymmv,

doug s.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #85 on: 30 Sep 2011, 02:20 am »
Oh, I made a boo-boo above.  Gotta correct that for me if nobody else.  The Prima Luna integrated is actually the  Prologue One model and sells for $1400.  Bel Canto has an SS integrated for $2k, the 300iU with 150Wpc, that Stereophile likes PLUS it's got a Bel Canto DAC on board!  The hot dog and highly regarded PL that I thought I was describing is actually the DiaLogue 2 at a cost of $3k but you will need high efficiency speakers with that one.  Vincent makes a hybrid (tube pre/SS amp) that outputs 100wpc, the SV-236, at $2k that's reputed to be well built with high quality sound and is highly reliable.
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2011, 12:46 am by jimdgoulding »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #86 on: 30 Sep 2011, 03:38 am »
I spend all $5k on pot and concert tickets.  BAM!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #87 on: 30 Sep 2011, 03:46 am »

What....no scotch... :o :nono:

Tyson

« Reply #88 on: 30 Sep 2011, 03:50 am »
Already got the scotch ;)

LobsterClaws

« Reply #89 on: 30 Sep 2011, 04:29 am »
Well, OPPO has a new $995 digital player that's gettin some A+ reviews.  Prima Luna has a $2,600 tube integrated with a phono stage that's gettin some serious raves at places like Stereophile.  Soundfield Audio Monitor 1's look interesting and are being talked about here on AC (see the Enclosure Circle) that I THINK are very efficient, low wattage requirement.  That just leaves cabling and a turntable and cartridge (dunno what the PL accepts) if you still have records.  Might wanna add an UberBUSS PC from Dave Standard down the road.  Yer gonna have fun!  I'm jealous.         

Yeah, I have been looking heavily into that Oppo BD-95. Alot of journalists seem to love that thing and comes highly recommended. The big thing though I can't seem to shake outta my head is that I don't need or want all the video stuff. And even though it's highly rated, it would just seem that somehow it would take a backseat to a more dedicated audio player. I might be crazy, but it just seems that after paying off Sony for the Blu-Ray rights, and sinking in coin into the video upconverting and 3D and all that, they would have to take shortcuts to hit that price point. Again, maybe I'm crazy. On my shortlist is the Marantz SA8004, Rega Apollo, & YBA WM202. What makes it really interesting is there is a used Meridian 508 factory converted to 24 bit on the Bay for $1200. Super hard not to pull the trigger on that one. Also the 'Gon has a Naim CD5i for a G also. DECISIONS. Good lord!

I have 2715 CD's (all of 13 SACD, which I never listen to, the rest redbook.) Unfortunately, don't own 1 single LP. Well, maybe somewhere, but I doubt it. So no phono for me right now. I'm up to 800 and something in cataloging them into my OrangeCD software, and have taken a couple days off, before I start back up. My source requirements would be just a cd player and some sort of streamer. I'm hooked on NPR podcasts, archive.org and AM rebroadcasts over the net.

Also, I'm just scared of tubes. Would rather stick to solid state. I've heard all the adjectives regarding tubes, and have heard some really sweet tube systems and think they're neat, but I have a good buddy of mine into tubes and it pretty much borders of obsession, teetering on the brink of madness. Tube rolling, Bias, Russian, Chinese, American, NOS, speaker matching, wattage, etc,etc,etc........ What I'm trying to say is if Steve spent just a quarter of his time listening to music rather than screwing with his system, he'd easily gain 10 years back. I love him to death, but I've seen what tubes can do to a man. No thanks!  :lol:

But yeah, thanks for trying to help, and the great feedback!

Tyson

« Reply #90 on: 30 Sep 2011, 05:10 am »
Tube are like beautiful women - high maintenance, but high reward.

LobsterClaws

« Reply #91 on: 30 Sep 2011, 05:13 am »

Have fun and welcome  :thumb: :thumb:

Love the Shazam logo too.

Thanks, gotta love Shazam!

the speakers alone are likely worth $2500.  the rack is likely worth something, and i have seen that amp adwertized for anywhere from $400-$800.

those speakers have quite a following; i have never heard them, but i would like to.  if i awreddy had them, i'd be considering tube amplification strongly, tube preamplification definitely, and perhaps a crossover rebuild.  i'd definitely not be getting rid of them until i found their replacement, that i liked better in my own home.   8)

ymmv,

doug s.

Yeah, a guy offered me $1600 about a year ago, but backed out, so I just assumed they'd be in that ballpark. (He did buy my Adcom preamp though, I had with the system.) They've got a couple of nicks, but other than that sound great. I'll do my due diligence and research further before I let them go. I've seen the amp advertised all over the place also, but of the ones I've known to actually sell were in the $200-400 range. It's been a while though, So I'll definitely research that also. I have a light out on the left meter, so I'm probably gonna look into replacing that if I hold out or decide to keep. I listen to mostly rock, acoustical, country and alternative and they sound amazing paired with the Carver with those styles. I've never tried Classical or Jazz, so I can't comment on that.

If you ever find yourself in Eastern NC, feel free to look me up and swing by for a listen if I still have them. They are pretty amazing sounding speakers. I'm no true audiophile, just a huge fan, but if I was forced to comment, I'd say they might lack some in the mids. Highs and Lows are glorious, but just lacking a lushness or warmth in the mids. Maybe those are the wrong words, but it's something.Kinda flatish if that makes any sense.

Even though I rarely ever listen to my system any more, it's so hard to let go of it, because it's such a snapshot of my college years. I begged, borrowed, bartered, and bagged a crapload of Winn-Dixie groceries for 5 years to build that thing up. Not to mention the parties and ladies it's seen. Well, maybe it is time for it to go.  :duh:

Thanks again for the feedback guys. Good Stuff!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #92 on: 30 Sep 2011, 05:50 am »
lobster claws, if you're leery of tubes, at least spring for a tube preamp.  wery little rolling needed, and wirtually bullet proof, for the most part.  i really cannot imagine listening to my rig w/o a tubed pre.

and, regarding the speakers - while i understand the urge to move on, you should if at all possible really not consider selling them until you can compare them to their prospective replacements in your own room.  it's really the best way to get a handle on what you will enjoy longer term...

doug s.

LobsterClaws

« Reply #93 on: 30 Sep 2011, 05:56 am »
Tube are like beautiful women - high maintenance, but high reward.

:lol: :lol: I'm sure your 100% correct! I'll take your word on it.

But for me, I'll take a God fearing, checkbook balancing, Paula Deen cooking, 50% off sale loving, common lass everyday of the week. The price you pay is too high for me, when it comes to beautiful women. There are thousands of things out there that will send me to an early grave, don't need the stress and bloodpressure and brokeness of marrying/dating a model.

Rick Hendrick once told me years ago, that the only people who covet and love Ferrari's are museums and people who don't own them. $600 for an oil change, $1400 if you lose a key and need another one, $2000 in tires, 15k service is $14k. etc,etc..... He told me for every mile he drives it it costs him roughly 8 dollars per mile. And if you add in $3 per mile depreciation, it brings it to $11 per mile on top of the quarter of million you initially spent. He sold it and said he'll take a Honda any day of the week. But I digress.

My point is, I completely understand different strokes for different folks, and respect everyones likes and dislikes, but you can keep your tubes and supermodels, And I'll keep my solid states and fatties.  :thumb:

LobsterClaws

« Reply #94 on: 30 Sep 2011, 06:09 am »
lobster claws, if you're leery of tubes, at least spring for a tube preamp.  wery little rolling needed, and wirtually bullet proof, for the most part.  i really cannot imagine listening to my rig w/o a tubed pre.

and, regarding the speakers - while i understand the urge to move on, you should if at all possible really not consider selling them until you can compare them to their prospective replacements in your own room.  it's really the best way to get a handle on what you will enjoy longer term...

doug s.

I feel that he made the offer for the whole system based on the speakers, but I'll research and talk to him on Monday. Someone told me to try a cheap tube buffer after my cd player or between the pre-amp and amp to see if I like it. All I know is my buddy is constantly messing with his system more than he listens to it, so it has me leery of going down that path. Plus he's always buying and selling tubes and such and it makes me think of a boat. Like a big money pit or something.  Granted, I highly doubt I'll ever turn into that, but it just seems like so much work. Not this weekend, but next I'm gonna do some running around and listening and see what's out there. I definitely have the bug for new gear now, but I don't want to do anything stupid. I've been reading a ton tonight here and have some great info. I'll do something or at least make a concrete decision here within the next two weeks.

Thanks again. This is a great site. Folks have been a ton of help.

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #95 on: 30 Sep 2011, 10:54 am »
You did a hell of a job putting that system together....Maggies are next on my short list for speakers I must own!

Thanks' for the comments Guys. I'm quite pleased with the systems performance. The Maggies are simply great.

I auditioned several box type speakers that after listening to the same music through the Maggies quickly fell by the wayside.

The NAD, as they've been from the start seems to be an over achiever.

The DaciT has been a real eye opener for me. I had no idea that any digital recording could sound this good. To me, the dac has as much influence on your systems personality as your speakers.

Again, I appreciate all of your comments.

jackman

« Reply #96 on: 30 Sep 2011, 12:27 pm »

I'd add hookers and rental of a party boat to the mix.   :thumb: 

The boat should have a system that you can blast music through.  Don't worry about the sound as long as it's loud.

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #97 on: 30 Sep 2011, 12:52 pm »
I'd like to comment on the comparison of tubes to high maintenance women.
Major in my mind is the ability to switch tubes off.
You don't find yourself hiring lawyers or buying tubes a house to get rid of them.
Tubes are superior!
:thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #98 on: 30 Sep 2011, 02:49 pm »
...Someone told me to try a cheap tube buffer after my cd player or between the pre-amp and amp to see if I like it.
a good idea; i use a tube buffer between my sony xdr f1hd tuna and my (tube) preamp, another between my dac and preamp, and one between my deqx dsp x-over and hi-pass amp.  to be honest, the only one really necessary is the one between the h-d tuna and preamp; i only use the others because i have them - i got 'em at a good price, so i couldn't resist.  now that i have 'em, i'd yust as soon use 'em!   :lol:

All I know is my buddy is constantly messing with his system more than he listens to it, so it has me leery of going down that path. Plus he's always buying and selling tubes and such and it makes me think of a boat. Like a big money pit or something.  Granted, I highly doubt I'll ever turn into that, but it just seems like so much work. ...
trust me - there's yust as many solid-state folks that are as obsessed about gear as your tube-head buddy.  don't let him scare you into getting into tubes.  there are folks into the gear, and folks into the music.  tube or solid-state is secondary.  you want obsession?  check out how some folks play w/cabling!   :duh: :lol:

doug s.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #99 on: 30 Sep 2011, 06:55 pm »
I'd argue that if you're the obsessive type you'll find something to obsess about no matter what type of amplifier you have.  Some SS folks are changing out amps, preamps, DAC's, sources, IC's, Speaker cables, etc. obsessively looking for the perfect synergy.  Obsessive tube folks just do it with different tubes. (or all of the above)  I guess it feels geekier and more complicated, but it's the same thing.

Either way, tubes don't have to be high maintenance or an obsession.  Buy a tube integrated with auto-bias that sounds good out of the box with stock tubes, plug it in, and enjoy.  You won't have to buy new tubes for a couple of years (or more depending on the amp and how much you listen) and then you'll have the pleasant surprise of how much better it sounds with the new set - which will also last a couple of years or more.  Easy peasy.

Not that there's anything wrong with SS if you prefer it, mind you.  Different strokes for different folks and all...