CD Transport and DAC questions

audioman999

CD Transport and DAC questions
« on: 2 Apr 2011, 05:26 pm »
I purchased my first 24bit/100K Hz CD today which is 99.9999% Silver.  Not sure what that means.  Anyways, I bought it for the music and not the specs.  However it raised a question with others at the store that no one was able to answer.

Will my 10yr old Rotel RCD 991 acting as a transport pick up the 24bit data for theBryston BDA1 to process?  Or will it only read standard redbook 16bit data?

The following is a link to the CD.
http://www.firstimpressionmusic.com/product_p/limk2hd032.htm

As well as a blurb on their technology.
(vi) K2 HD: The K2 Team at JVC did not rest on its laurels. In 2004, another major breakthrough was achieved with the encoding not only of 24 bits, but also a 100 kHz sampling rate, into the Redbook confines. After the testing of this technology in the Japanese domestic market by JVC, FIM officially launched this superior K2 HD mastering format in August 2007 at the Hong Kong High End Show, and then again later at the January 2008 CES.

srb

Re: CD Transport and DAC questions
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2011, 05:45 pm »
As was answered in the same topic in the Bryston forum, the 24-bit refers to the mastering method on the CD.  The final CD pressing is in the standard 16-bit/44.1KHz Redbook format, and therefore can be played on any CD player.  Sending the 16/44.1 stream to a DAC capable of higher resolution would not improve the sound, unless of course that DAC is simply better sounding than the internal one in the CD player.

Given the same care in mastering from the original recording, I would doubt that it would sound as good as a native SACD or 24/96 or 24/192 digital file, but if the JVC people actually have something viable with their unique mastering technique, it very well may be one of the finer sounding CDs you can buy.

Steve