Bryston BCD-1 need subjective input

Sasha

Re: Bryston BCD-1 need subjective input
« Reply #20 on: 3 Apr 2011, 01:46 pm »
One more quick comparison, the closest sounding player to BCD-1 out of all I heard I found to be Mark Levinson 390S, so if you are familiar with sound of Mark Levinson 390S you can get an idea of BCD-1 sound.
In regard to previous poster’s comment on boosted bass in BCD-1 I must disagree, there is nothing boosted, it is properly designed and robust output stage in BCD-1 of appropriate impedance that results in drive ability.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #21 on: 3 Apr 2011, 02:40 pm »
   The BCD-1 does not highlight any of the spectrum. Bass a strong point in that it goes deeper is better focused and is tight. However does not show itself unless its there. A good thing.
   It is not bright or thin. If anything a tad dry. It does not add color or anything for that matter. What you put in is generally what you get.
   Besides the benifit of the sonics it provides Bryston the company is with ya for a long long time. That in itself is worth a purchase.
   The sometimes perceived dry presentation was eliminated when we added a Triode Labs power cord. Picked up some body and soul. Maybe coloration but a good coloration. Understand that is my preference but maybe not others. If you are looking for a player that adds warmth or color look elsewhere. It is an accurate portrayal of the source. If you want added color do it with another piece in the system or a cable like Tara for ICs.. The BCD-1 is the perfect tool for that. No garbage in.
   Later you can upgrade to a DAC when you see fit, but I believe after theBCD-1 you desire will diminish. Good luck with your decision.

charles

drummermitchell

« Reply #22 on: 3 Apr 2011, 03:11 pm »
A couple of years back(I think)as I'm a bit over 40 :o,I was on the hunt for a cdp.
I had my sites on I believe it was the ARC CD7 for a long while.
Finally I could sort of afford it(CC's :lol:).
I auditioned three players,CD-7,Arcam (36 or 37)whichever was the top one at the time.
They were all going thru the top ARC pre.
Anyway to cut this short,using the remote to switch back and forth among the three,
it was a long afternoon,I kept going back to the BCD-1,this can't be as I had desired the CD-7.
Anyway I took the BCD-1 home and I am still totally satisfied,no wishing I had went with the other.
I trusted MY EARS,not the looks,or the reviews or others opinions.
Hopefully you can home audition or at least spend a few hours in one of the dealers rooms :thumb:.
                                                I think that was short :D.

mpv

« Reply #23 on: 3 Apr 2011, 03:16 pm »
Hi Guys

Just joined audiocircle as I am scouring the net for BCD-1 impressions and came across the long thread with BCD-1 reviews.
Looking for a more precise and subjective decription of the players sound signature.
Case is: I found a used BCD-1 for sale in my country Denmark where the BCD-1, from new, is quite an expensive player (5300$). Used I can get it for 1700$. As the seller resides in the other end of my country I have to figure out if it's something for me before I make the long drive.
Hope you guys can help me nail down the characteristics of the BCD-1's

By now I have probably read all online reviews but I don't like that most reviewers use terms like "dry" and "lean"
Which to me sounds negative. When I hear terms like that I think: thin, bright and boring sounding  I like a highly resolved, involving, full bodied musical presentation. I really dislike bright sounding equipment. On the other hand I also dislike colored valve sound. But then again the reviews all find the BCD-1 very musical so I must understand their use of words wrong  :scratch:

Btw
I run a pair of AudioPhysic Virgo25 speakers and a PrimareI30 amp(to be replaced when I find the right successer)
Hope some of you owners of this highly regarded machine can help me

Thankyou in advance

Kind regards from Denmark
NR

I sold 2 months ago my BCD-1 and bought BDP-1 which is superior in every aspect.I would recommend you to pay close attention to this new Bryston Digital Player. I'm sure You won't regret and like me,maybe you will never want again a spinning disc anymore.Good Luck with your decision.

nightrhyme

« Reply #24 on: 3 Apr 2011, 09:41 pm »
Thank you so much for all your wonderful insights. Truly a great forum  :thumb:

Unfortunately my option to buy the BCD-1 is no longer relevant as I just received a mail from the seller stating that he broke the tray and probably laser. Hmm I suspect he actually sold it  :nono:

Damn I already bought non-refundable ferry ticket and all (100USD out the window :x)

As the BCD-1 as previously stated is 5300USD in my country this opens up a whole new range of contenders to audition.

Was thinking of max 2000 - 2500USD.... :|

Sasha

« Reply #25 on: 3 Apr 2011, 10:26 pm »
Buy used BCD-1  :D

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #26 on: 4 Apr 2011, 05:33 pm »
nightrhyme,

if you should get a BCD-1 keep in mind that the first units don't have the BR-2 remote included. they "only" have the regular BCD-1 remote which is not multi functional (while it can control the volume of some Bryston preamplifiers :D).
maybe James can clarify from what serial number on the BR-2 is part of the player...

best,

al.