1.7 Review

SlushPuppy

Re: 1.7 Review
« Reply #20 on: 30 Nov 2011, 03:12 am »
Unpacked my new 1.7's a few hours ago. I'm surprised how good these things sound right out of the box. The bass is way better than I expected. I'm still going to get a sub, but it isn't something I need to have right away. In fact, these sound deeper than my old Martin Logan SL3's. Soundwise they remind me of my old Acoustat 1+1's, but with way better bass.

Tosca's "Suzuki" album sounds outstanding, even without proper speaker positioning.

I know it's easy to lose ones mind and slobber all over new purchases, but so far I'm very satisfied. I can't believe average Joe's like me can afford such things without selling a kidney :o

Slush

ajzepp

« Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2011, 03:16 am »
Congrats!!  :thumb:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #22 on: 30 Nov 2011, 03:20 am »
Congrats!!  :thumb:

Thanks! Glad I'm off till the weekend, because I'm not going anywhere.

ajzepp

« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:07 pm »
Thanks! Glad I'm off till the weekend, because I'm not going anywhere.

That's one of the best feelings in the world...having a new toy with plenty of time to play with it  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #24 on: 1 Dec 2011, 01:44 am »
Congratulations is right!
Are you going to be staying home with your better half during the break-in period?  You might wish to throw her a cheeseburger...

Rclark

« Reply #25 on: 1 Dec 2011, 01:45 am »
 :o

• Don't touch the VOLUME!!
« Reply #26 on: 1 Dec 2011, 02:08 am »
Are you going to be staying home with your better half during the break-in period?  You might wish to throw her a cheeseburger...

Hate to admit  :oops:  .......... At first I didn't see the speakers  :duh:

Rclark

« Reply #27 on: 1 Dec 2011, 02:13 am »
Oh damn, there are speakers in that one, who knew?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 1 Dec 2011, 02:15 am »
Oh yeah, I see what you mean.

It's from an email sent to the dealers and friends which I would like to share:

Some folks say we are too conservative. Well, Men's Health magazine thinks we are the new cool"  Click on photo #9 to read (see) the 1.7 review. 

http://www.menshealth.com/techlust/irina-shayk-best-gear-2012

SlushPuppy

« Reply #29 on: 1 Dec 2011, 03:33 am »

Luckily she's working late this week so she won't feel so ignored :wink:

Davey

« Reply #30 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:36 pm »
I like to look at a hot body as much as the next guy, but that's "cheap" advertising and beneath what a respected company like Magnepan should be engaging in.

It reminds me of the Gilmore advertising a few years ago with Linda O'Neil.  It prompts many folks (potential customers) to roll their eyes and continue on their way.

Cheers,

Dave.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #31 on: 1 Dec 2011, 05:05 pm »
Muscle car calendar, yes.  Maggies, no!   :scratch:

klao

« Reply #32 on: 1 Dec 2011, 05:11 pm »
Not an ad, just a magazine's yearly award article.  :wink:

http://www.menshealth.com/techlust/irina-shayk-best-gear-2012

I like to look at a hot body as much as the next guy, but that's "cheap" advertising and beneath what a respected company like Magnepan should be engaging in.

It reminds me of the Gilmore advertising a few years ago with Linda O'Neil.  It prompts many folks (potential customers) to roll their eyes and continue on their way.

Cheers,

Dave.

Davey

« Reply #33 on: 1 Dec 2011, 05:53 pm »
Well, not an "advertisement" in the strictess sense, but it kind of becomes an ad when forwarded by Mr. Diller and splashed across various audio forums, does it not?

Maybe semantics, but regardless, I think it cheapens a well established product in an "industry" that's already well into the sillyness zone.

Now, if Miss Shayk has good ears and would care to review the 1.7's after she's done with her photo shoot then maybe we'd have something.

Just my two cents....worth what you paid for it.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 2 Dec 2011, 02:34 am »
The choice was having her pose with the speakers or me.
In a double blind viewing test the results were unanimous so there goes my fat royalty check and I'm afraid that you're stuck with her.

rw@cn

« Reply #35 on: 2 Dec 2011, 01:11 pm »
The choice was having her pose with the speakers or me.
In a double blind viewing test the results were unanimous so there goes my fat royalty check and I'm afraid that you're stuck with her.

Steve,

Was this from you or Mr. Diller? Any way it rates  :lol:  :icon_lol:  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 3 Dec 2011, 12:37 am »
Nah, that last bit was from me.
It's a men's magazine.  Sex Sells, I get kicked to the curb.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #37 on: 15 Dec 2011, 04:07 pm »
I've had these for about two weeks now and have played with a bunch of different placement options. So far the basic set-up info from Magnepan has worked the best:

1. Tweeters in.
2. As far away from the side walls as possible.
3. Point the inside leg directly at your seating position.

Nothing seems to work as well in my room.

Right now I have the center of the front panel 3'10" from the side wall. Not quite Cardas on my 16' wide room, but as close as I can get. The center of the back panel is 3'6" from the wall. That's as far into the room as I can get them. Front center to front center they're exactly 8' apart. Speakers front center to listening position are 11'6".

This is a real "sweet-spot" type of arrangement for 100% music-only listening, and it sounds fantastic. H/T or 50/50 people would probably want to go tweeters out so more people could enjoy them.

Next step is room treatments. The money is set aside, I just need to finalize all the pieces. The one thing I've settled on is GIK QRD diffusors behind the speakers. It seems almost universal that diffusors work best behind panel speakers, and the stock GIK QRD's are almost a perfect size for the 1.7's. The price is right, too. I'll report back when I get them installed (end of January).

Slush

rw@cn

« Reply #38 on: 15 Dec 2011, 06:45 pm »
Thos QRD's will definitely improve your enjoyment.

Rclark

« Reply #39 on: 15 Dec 2011, 06:54 pm »
you and i are same timeframe except I want to build my traps. And I agree with your setup, tweeters in sounds best. I use cardas for planars.