Amp for the V1s

HT cOz

Re: Amp for the V1s
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2011, 08:41 pm »
Don't forget about Dodds battery powered amp.  I think there is some hope that it could be offered as a kit?

ebag4

« Reply #21 on: 18 Apr 2011, 08:47 pm »
Don't forget about Dodds battery powered amp.  I think there is some hope that it could be offered as a kit?
That was on my list a while back but I believe Gary discontinued it.  I seem to recall it being a complicated build that Gary felt would be too much for some? Not certain about that.

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 18 Apr 2011, 10:36 pm »
That was on my list a while back but I believe Gary discontinued it.  I seem to recall it being a complicated build that Gary felt would be too much for some? Not certain about that.

Best,
Ed

really?  I just stopped asking and have moved on.

dvenardos

« Reply #23 on: 18 Apr 2011, 11:54 pm »
I don't have the V1, but I love the tripath sound. Have tried any tripath amps?
This is my latest DIY tripath interest:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-pcs-Brand-New-MKII-TK2050-monoblock-class-D-amplifier-/260762322799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb6a5476f

ebag4

« Reply #24 on: 19 Apr 2011, 02:06 am »
I don't have the V1, but I love the tripath sound. Have tried any tripath amps?
This is my latest DIY tripath interest:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-pcs-Brand-New-MKII-TK2050-monoblock-class-D-amplifier-/260762322799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb6a5476f
I am running a self modded T-amp right now.  It has a great grip on the coax mid/bass driver.  I put it in to determine if I could driver the coax with 5 watts, to my surprise it drives it louder than I would ever listen and I do crank it now and again.  I have put a pair of Obbligato coupling caps in it that improved upon the old Clarity caps I had, I have some Ampohms on the way to determine if they improve things further.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

Update* Amp for the V1s
« Reply #25 on: 5 May 2011, 09:58 pm »
Well, I have made my decision, I will be building a Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3/45 amp (not integrated).  After scouring the net for the last few weeks and communicating with various individuals this solution met my needs from a cost standpoint, an amp quality standpoint, and my desire to try a DHT amp.

I would like to thank everyone who responded to the various threads I have posted regarding various amp designs.

I hope to receive the kit in the next week or so, wish me luck!

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Update* Amp for the V1s
« Reply #26 on: 5 May 2011, 11:29 pm »
Well, I have made my decision, I will be building a Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3/45 amp (not integrated).  After scouring the net for the last few weeks and communicating with various individuals this solution met my needs from a cost standpoint, an amp quality standpoint, and my desire to try a DHT amp.

I would like to thank everyone who responded to the various threads I have posted regarding various amp designs.

Best,
Ed

Sweet!  I think you'll love it and I'm really looking forward to your thread (like your GR one).  I built the Bottlehead pre back in the day and it was a great little piece. 

ebag4

« Reply #27 on: 6 May 2011, 12:59 am »
Sweet!  I think you'll love it and I'm really looking forward to your thread (like your GR one).  I built the Bottlehead pre back in the day and it was a great little piece.
Thanks Jason.  I hadn't really considered doing a thread on the amp but if there is interest I don't mind doing one.  I was looking at my V1 thread today trying to determine if t had been a year since I powered them up, in a couple of weeks it will be a year, I will probably post a follow up.  I did note that the V1 thread now has over 10,000 views, not too bad.

BTW, I built a Foreplay II about a hundred years ago as well.

Best,
Ed

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #28 on: 6 May 2011, 03:39 am »

Best,
Ed

Great choice!  I've been a fan of Bottlehead for many many years.  I really like my Quickie preamp and Sex amp.