Revive the system change thread?

Big Red Machine

Re: Revive the system change thread?
« Reply #280 on: 22 Apr 2012, 02:49 pm »
I leave a tail so I can grab it later on if needed. 

Nuance

« Reply #281 on: 22 Apr 2012, 11:36 pm »
I leave a tail so I can grab it later on if needed. 

I do the same.

I like the extra pics of your room, Pete.  You have a good amount of diffusion; do you find that better at the first reflection points than absorption? 

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #282 on: 22 Apr 2012, 11:40 pm »
I do the same.

I like the extra pics of your room, Pete.  You have a good amount of diffusion; do you find that better at the first reflection points than absorption?

I'm curious too.  I'm preparing floorplan and photos to send to Auralex for their free eval and recommendations as a starting point.

I have to integrate into our family room/theatre though so have aesthetic constraints too.

.........Peter

Big Red Machine

« Reply #283 on: 22 Apr 2012, 11:58 pm »
I do the same.

Made all the difference in the world.  Went from blah to lifelike.  Now remember my room is only 13.5 wide.  They would not have same effect in a wide room.

Bryan thinks my different room lengths may be causing my left and right sweep differences.  We'll probably discuss over AKFest.

Nuance

« Reply #284 on: 23 Apr 2012, 07:29 pm »
Made all the difference in the world.  Went from blah to lifelike.  Now remember my room is only 13.5 wide.  They would not have same effect in a wide room.

Bryan thinks my different room lengths may be causing my left and right sweep differences.  We'll probably discuss over AKFest.

Mine is only 12 feet wide, so where do you recommend I place diffusion?  I was planning on behind the speaker but where else?  I have absorption panels at the first reflections, but I was pondering putting diffusion on top of them.  Thoughts?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #285 on: 23 Apr 2012, 07:55 pm »
Far from an expert, I put 2 inch 703 on the backside of my side diffusors in the aim to absorb anything that might make it that far.  It probably was not very effective and I am too lazy to measure with and w/o it and then try and interpret the sweep.

My bang for buck came with side diffusion.  When that went into place I really liked the result.  I was fairly close to the back wall and so generally everyone who is can benefit from diffusion behind you.  I had rear side diffusion and then some back wall diffusion and then right behind me diffusion but I did not notice any improvements although maybe a sweep would have revealed some change.  Again, too lazy.  I added ceiling diffusion and that helped some more.  So it got me to thinking that the side walls being so close to the speakers could work and walla, that made the room feel larger acoustically - more hangtime in the notes, more spacial feel.  Not like an auditorium and some magical transformation, but noticeable improvement in soundstage width.

Of course now with 8's and no fill, the speakers can completely disappear with the right recording, proper electrons, and if I hold my mouth just right.

Nuance

« Reply #286 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:28 pm »
That's great info, Pete - thanks.  I have "bass traps" that I made, but I just ordered real ones today to match the color of my first reflection panels.  I'm thinking about ordering a pack of GridFusors from Gik to attach to those first reflection panels.  Does that sound like a good idea?

I sent this same message to your E-mail, as I don't want to derail your thread any further. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #287 on: 24 Apr 2012, 10:07 pm »
Just finished burning in the power cord for the new Uber.  6x 14 ga hot, 6x 14 ga neutral, 1x 14 ga ground inside a shielded teflon tube.  The cable is shielded and tied at the wall plug end.  The ground wire shield is not connected to the cable shield so it never becomes "hot".

6 ga hot, 6 ga N, total gauge is 3.  Misleading, but it sounds more badass.

Nuance

« Reply #288 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:04 pm »
Looks good, Pete!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #289 on: 2 Jun 2012, 07:47 pm »
Sad day here as we begin packing things up.  Pretty soon I will have an empty room and I'll have to take a photo to show what a "normal" room looks like without all the gear. :cry:

What a pain packing is.  I at least save all my boxes and that helps protect the gear in the moves.  So contemplate this:

4 HT receivers, 1 stereo receiver, 1 Processor
5 subwoofers
5 DirecTv receivers
3 flat screen TV's
3 desktop computers
7 pairs of speakers

That's just the start of this.  I am the king of crap, but at least I can box it up!

I'm packing the HT last so I can have an escape through this ordeal.

MichiganMike

« Reply #290 on: 3 Jun 2012, 08:59 am »
Sad day here as we begin packing things up.  Pretty soon I will have an empty room and I'll have to take a photo to show what a "normal" room looks like without all the gear. :cry:

What a pain packing is.  I at least save all my boxes and that helps protect the gear in the moves. 

Pete,

I have occasional nightmares about the pain of a future move and I do not have nearly as much gear as you do.  Last fall, I packed my SongTowers plus a Parasound amp and preamp and transported them to Maryland and that was bad enough.  I hope my SoundScape 10s and associated equipment will remain in place for a long time.   

You have my sympathies.  Hope all goes smoothly with your move.

Are you staying in Michigan?

Regards,
Mike

Big Red Machine

« Reply #291 on: 3 Jun 2012, 10:56 am »
No idea where I am going at the moment. :duh:

Today I will be tearing down my 2 channel room.  I even have the boxes for my Real Traps near diffusers.  whew

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #292 on: 3 Jun 2012, 10:57 am »
Then why are you moving?

TomS

« Reply #293 on: 3 Jun 2012, 11:15 am »

Today I will be tearing down my 2 channel room.  I even have the boxes for my Real Traps near diffusers.  whew
That has to be a tough day after all the work it took to build and get it right. Best of luck that the next place and room is a "normal" shape and easier to work with!

Kinger

« Reply #294 on: 3 Jun 2012, 12:37 pm »
Moving?  Say it isn't so!  I was hoping I'd someday get the chance to listen to your SS8's in your space :(

Hope you find out where you are going soon Pete and all works out well for you.

Nuance

« Reply #295 on: 3 Jun 2012, 10:24 pm »
Wow - that's terrible, Pete.  I am very sorry to hear that. :(

Big Red Machine

« Reply #296 on: 3 Jun 2012, 11:03 pm »
So everything is off the walls and ceiling.  The room is not completely cleared out because I have no place to put all this stuff.

So for reference, you know my room size, I took out 2 full boxes of 703 just in triangle bass trapping alone, and enough wall panels and stand-alones for another 4 boxes worth of 703.  So boys and girls, 6 boxes of 2" 703 in my room!

And how sick and twisted was it that I had 2 boxes that the 703 originally came in?!

Not sure how I am going to pack the diffusers quite yet.  I have 8 or 10 of them and many of them have back side stuffing or hanging brackets inside so I cannot stack them all up.

TJHUB

« Reply #297 on: 3 Jun 2012, 11:08 pm »
Sorry to ask this Pete, but why the move with nowhere to go?  :scratch:  Don't answer that if you don't want to...

If you're looking for a great place to live, you should move to my town.  You've been here.  You NEED to be my neighbor!  :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #298 on: 19 Aug 2012, 02:45 pm »
Here are some sad photos.

Kinger

« Reply #299 on: 19 Aug 2012, 03:26 pm »
 :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Hope you get a new room soon Pete.