Revive the system change thread?

Nuance

Re: Revive the system change thread?
« Reply #260 on: 8 Apr 2012, 10:21 pm »
Just for grins have you measured from a different LP?  What happens to the null if you move the mic one foot forward or one backward?

TJHUB

« Reply #261 on: 9 Apr 2012, 11:33 am »
It defies my very limited understanding of acoustics that those traps work like that.  It was my understanding that you'd need something MUCH larger to affect those low frequencies like that.  I wish I could figure out something for my room.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #262 on: 9 Apr 2012, 12:09 pm »
Just for grins have you measured from a different LP?  What happens to the null if you move the mic one foot forward or one backward?

I have sorta, by setting the mic to the side as I try to get things adjusted before calibrating for real.  I'll try the mic in other spots soon.  Pretty sure the height of the room is giving me that 60/70 hz issue.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #263 on: 9 Apr 2012, 12:11 pm »
It defies my very limited understanding of acoustics that those traps work like that.  It was my understanding that you'd need something MUCH larger to affect those low frequencies like that.  I wish I could figure out something for my room.

We come to expect bass to move all around and when you put a narrow trap between the speaker and the mic, lookie what happens.  I had a hunch last week that the new GIK tuned traps might be one approach at 2x2 to sit out in the room at the bounce point.  Since it is a low traffic room I can do this.  Kinda weird, but doable.  I am also thinking the ceiling bounce point to fool the system into thinking the room is not 8 foot high.

Nuance

« Reply #264 on: 9 Apr 2012, 03:21 pm »
We come to expect bass to move all around and when you put a narrow trap between the speaker and the mic, lookie what happens.  I had a hunch last week that the new GIK tuned traps might be one approach at 2x2 to sit out in the room at the bounce point.  Since it is a low traffic room I can do this.  Kinda weird, but doable.  I am also thinking the ceiling bounce point to fool the system into thinking the room is not 8 foot high.

That last part sounds like a good plan, Pete.  You'll get there buddy, and when you do it'll be time to sit back with an Old Fashion in hand and just let the tunes spin.  8)

I look forward to seeing measurements from different mock LP's.

OgOgilby

« Reply #265 on: 9 Apr 2012, 03:42 pm »
Pete,

What are your room dimensions?

Edit... DOH! Never mind, I found them in your systems page :oops:

-Greg

yetis

« Reply #266 on: 9 Apr 2012, 09:58 pm »
So, how important are traps, etc in getting your speakers too work?  I ask I know there is NO WAY my wife is having all these tweaks in our living room. I will note that I don't find them that appealing either.  Having Meridian room correction will hopefully help some, but on a scale of 1 to 100, what did the room acoustic treatments do for you? 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #267 on: 12 Apr 2012, 12:16 am »
So, how important are traps, etc in getting your speakers too work?  I ask I know there is NO WAY my wife is having all these tweaks in our living room. I will note that I don't find them that appealing either.  Having Meridian room correction will hopefully help some, but on a scale of 1 to 100, what did the room acoustic treatments do for you?

Treating the room allows your equipment to do what it was designed to do.  My dedicated room is an anomaly to most because who gets to have this awkward space with a single seat and a vast array of treatments without care for aesthetics as in a normal living room set-up, per se?

I don't want to have treatments all over the floor to trip over and hope I do not go there.  When I tried the electronic room correction preamp from ? it only made a 6% change/improvement to the overall sound according to its own calculations in my treated room.  Treatments are cheaper than a mutli-thousand dollar preamp, and a solid state device to boot (when you may have wanted a tube preamp).  I think QOL technology is worth looking at, but they are $4000.

My room treatments totally transformed the sound for me.  With my walls so close in the the speakers I had to deal with reflections and make the room think it was bigger.  Right now the room height is the last hurdle to overcome I believe.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #268 on: 12 Apr 2012, 12:26 am »
Since Brandon asked, I ran some quick sweeps with my mic set up out into the middle of the room, more like where my toes would be if I stretched out with the ottoman.

A little smoother response but still the 60/70 hz issues.  The right side looks damn near perfect when smoothed and the left still looks bumpier.  Room is the same height but the right side diffusor is right next to the right speaker and the left side is 6 inches more to the right (room offset 6 inches to the right) so it is farther away from the diffusor. 

Nuance

« Reply #269 on: 12 Apr 2012, 02:04 pm »
Well, it definitely measures better below 100Hz, which is odd, because the middle of the room is supposedly the worst for bass response. 

How far from the back wall (behind the LP) is your seat?  You're more experience than I, but I would think moving the speakers a bit or the LP a touch (back maybe?) would help minimize the issue.  You've gotta do what you've gotta do, though.

For direct comparisons sake:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #270 on: 12 Apr 2012, 02:24 pm »
I'll keep moving forward until the speakers are behind me and that will do the trick! :P

I'll experiment more next week perhaps.  I had to tear everything down.

Nuance

« Reply #271 on: 12 Apr 2012, 02:52 pm »
I'll keep moving forward until the speakers are behind me and that will do the trick! :P

I'll experiment more next week perhaps.  I had to tear everything down.

LOL! :lol:  It's a royal pain getting everything dialed in.  I did that with the Philharmonic 2's yesterday and it literally took me from the moment I arrived home until almost 10:00 at night.  Room modes and acoustics can be a nightmare...

charmerci

« Reply #272 on: 12 Apr 2012, 05:20 pm »
LOL! :lol:  It's a royal pain getting everything dialed in.  I did that with the Philharmonic 2's yesterday and it literally took me from the moment I arrived home until almost 10:00 at night.  Room modes and acoustics can be a nightmare...

Philharmonics? Is there another thread where you are talking about this? (It's news to me.)

Paul K.

« Reply #273 on: 12 Apr 2012, 05:23 pm »
After you've had time to listen to the P2s enough to form a good opinion of their performance, I assume you will post a review on them (I hope so). Where will you do that, in this forum or elsewhere?
Thanks,
Paul

Nuance

« Reply #274 on: 12 Apr 2012, 07:44 pm »
Philharmonics? Is there another thread where you are talking about this? (It's news to me.)

I've been doing most of my communicating regarding them in the Philharmonic thread on AVS Forum.

After you've had time to listen to the P2s enough to form a good opinion of their performance, I assume you will post a review on them (I hope so). Where will you do that, in this forum or elsewhere?
Thanks,
Paul

Do I have to post a review? :)  Yeah, I might do that, although I feel like I'm getting too old and busy for that stuff these days; I swear I can't even get my mouth to communicate what my brain is telling it to say anymore. :lol:

Dennis sent me a pair of Philharmonic 2's for the Wisconsin speaker GTG this weekend (April 14th).  They are actually Randy's pair, and he will take them home from said GTG.  I'll be sure to post my thoughts in Dennis' Philharmonic thread on AVS forum after the GTG.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #275 on: 13 Apr 2012, 12:15 am »
Can you believe we went over 20,000 hits on this thread? :o

Big Red Machine

« Reply #276 on: 19 Apr 2012, 01:38 am »
I updated my system photo and might as well throw some more photos here to chew up more bandwidth:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #277 on: 22 Apr 2012, 02:32 pm »
Some more updates.  Now using an UberBuss and a quick photo of the dac with the Dexa discretes and their green light show.

Have a new cable for the Uber burning in now so not yet installed.

Dave gave me a unique, not Monique, serial number:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #278 on: 22 Apr 2012, 02:38 pm »
Cut those zip ties flush! 

That drives me bonkers.   :duh:

motorcitym3

« Reply #279 on: 22 Apr 2012, 02:48 pm »
Dexa discretes...tell me more Pete!   Do they improve the sound of our dac?  Is it something you'd recommend me doing to mine?!?!?  Can I swing by and hear your new setup Mon/Tues/Wed?