Revive the system change thread?

TJHUB

Re: Revive the system change thread?
« Reply #220 on: 6 Apr 2012, 12:34 am »
Awesome review, and fun to read.  Glad they turned out to be everything you hoped for.  :thumb:

Now stop pooping on my poor HT2-TL's, and stop talking bad about those of us with subs! :x

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #221 on: 6 Apr 2012, 12:59 am »
Pete,

Congrats on your purchase!   :thumb:  I'm glad that they (and your ears) came around and you're enjoying them.  It sure is tough when emotion and money is involved.

Just because it wouldn't be me if I didn't ask, I'd love to see your in room measurements with these SS8's.  Can you share?

yetis

« Reply #222 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:06 am »
Interesting review. Looking forward to getting mine. Very happy that I can get rid of the subwoofer.. Hopefully removing the sub will makeup for the size of the SS8's. Now I am wondering if I should go for some beefier binding post.

Let us know if there are other changes over the coming weeks.

Austin08

« Reply #223 on: 6 Apr 2012, 02:17 am »
Very good review, Pete. Glad to hear you enjoy the 8 as much as I do. Although, in my less than ideal living/listening room, I can not get the 8 sound as good as your.

fsimms

« Reply #224 on: 6 Apr 2012, 02:35 am »
Wow!  What a review.  :thumb:

It is very hard for me to tell people about the SoundScapes.  I can’t find the words.  :duh:

I am glad you can.  Party on dude!  :banana piano:

Bob

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #225 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:10 am »
Man, I was 80% toward the HT2-TLs!  Your description has me drooling for the next step up.  A curse on you!!

Great writing though.  Thanks......

Are the SS8s too much for one person to remove from box and setup?  To move to another room (no stairs)?  Or would it always need two?  That's one of my concerns about that step up.  It seems like the SQ leaves no doubt though.

Austin08

« Reply #226 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:45 am »

Are the SS8s too much for one person to remove from box and setup?  To move to another room (no stairs)?  Or would it always need two?  That's one of my concerns about that step up.  It seems like the SQ leaves no doubt though.

It is very heavy but you can get around by using furniture pads and a little lifting. In my case, I lifted the box up at the speaker end and put a piece of 4x4 wood underneath. Then I opened the box and started to install the base and the spike feets. Then I move the box close to where I want to put it. Then flipped it up and moved to position. Pretty much one man job. Just my 2cts.

Nuance

« Reply #227 on: 6 Apr 2012, 05:45 am »
Wow - what can I say?  That was my personal favorite read of 2012 and likely won't be topped.  A job well done, Captain Pete, and I am stoked you're loving your deep blue monsters!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #228 on: 6 Apr 2012, 10:03 am »
Awesome review, and fun to read.  Glad they turned out to be everything you hoped for.  :thumb:

Now stop pooping on my poor HT2-TL's, and stop talking bad about those of us with subs! :x

HT2's are awesome.  SSes are the badasses in the room. 

I had to poke fun at the sub-lovers.  I started out in 1982 with JBL bookshelves and a sub using a Richter Scale.  For me a sub would detract from the SS8 in my smallish room.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #229 on: 6 Apr 2012, 10:06 am »
Time for an update...

Rock on Pete.... :beer:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #230 on: 6 Apr 2012, 10:07 am »
Man, I was 80% toward the HT2-TLs!  Your description has me drooling for the next step up.  A curse on you!!

Great writing though.  Thanks......

It takes 2 to lift them.  I use a handcart covered in pool noodles to move them into the house and down the stairs.  Not a one person job unless you work out and can stabilize the speaker to protect it.  Two of us and I still scratched the plinth.  Need to touch it up and turn it around. :green:

If they were in a box then you can slide the box and roll the box into your room much easier.  Don't forget, I pick mine up from the factory and they were lightly wrapped in foam wrap.  Not boxed.  Fresh from the oven good.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #231 on: 6 Apr 2012, 10:09 am »
Very good review, Pete. Glad to hear you enjoy the 8 as much as I do. Although, in my less than ideal living/listening room, I can not get the 8 sound as good as your.

Electronics.  And cables that get the heck out of the way.

Kinger

« Reply #232 on: 6 Apr 2012, 12:59 pm »
Really great write up Pete.  After hearing how great the HT2's sounded in your man cave, I can only imagine what these must sound like...........

Austin08

« Reply #233 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:06 pm »
Too many factors that would not let me maximize the potential of my system and the SS8. (room, 2 channel mixing with HT,WAF, small childrent..). No matter how many speakers, electronic components and cables swapping in and out of my system, I am still have to live with compromise sound at some point. Don't get me wrong, my system's sound is damp good, now. But not the last word of it. That is really bordering me and I am tire of it. Your dedicated listening room and others have inspired me to build one for own sake. Hopefully, I will get it start in a very near future. When I do, I will definitely seeking for your expertise.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #234 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:21 pm »
Really great write up Pete.  After hearing how great the HT2's sounded in your man cave, I can only imagine what these must sound like...........

You have no idea.  Absolutely heavenly.  Look out AKFest.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #235 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:22 pm »

Just because it wouldn't be me if I didn't ask, I'd love to see your in room measurements with these SS8's.  Can you share?

I'll get there.  I have the tools and a minimum of experience using them! :duh:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #236 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:37 pm »
I'll get there.  I have the tools and a minimum of experience using them! :duh:
I'll hold you to it then.   :wink:  No excuses!

jd3

« Reply #237 on: 6 Apr 2012, 02:58 pm »
Great write-up Pete!  Glad they are everything you hoped for. You 'almost' made me regret going with HT2's....Maybe I can get to hear them in a couple weeks!?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #238 on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:29 pm »
Great write-up Pete!  Glad they are everything you hoped for. You 'almost' made me regret going with HT2's....Maybe I can get to hear them in a couple weeks!?

Never regret HT2's!
Yes, April 28.

jsalk

« Reply #239 on: 6 Apr 2012, 04:32 pm »
Pete -

I found your comments on the RAALs being MIA on the first day interesting.  I wonder if something changed, or if it took a while to appreciate them.

When I listen to a driver (or speaker) for the first time, I try to determine what they really do well.  When I heard my very first ribbon tweeter, I recall instantly falling in love with the "air" and transparency on the top end.  When I first heard the RAAL tweeters, I was not all that impressed.  I thought something was missing.  I thought perhaps they were rolled off or, as you say, MIA.

Only after listening to them for a while, did I realize that everything that was supposed to be there was there.  But most  importantly, what shouldn't have been there wasn't. 

The RAALs do not call attention to themselves.  There is nothing in their presentation that makes you say, "Wow, listen to that!"  But after spending a little time with them, you begin to realize just how good they really are.  It is as if they are not there at all and all you hear is the music...just as it should be.

So just maybe nothing changed after the first day.  Maybe it just took time to get used to a tweeter with no coloration or personality of its own.  I don't know.  Your initial reaction reminded me of mine when we first started working with RAAL tweeters.  All of which makes me wonder if you didn't go through the same discovery process I did.

- Jim