Revive the system change thread?

s_cervin

Re: Revive the system change thread?
« Reply #160 on: 23 Dec 2011, 02:22 am »
Pete,

What did you think about the little monitors on the end in the shop?  Those were pretty sweet sounding with the 12" sub going.  I missed you by a day over at the shop.  Spent some time listening and talking salkstream stuff with Jim on Monday and then Jim packed my HTC and did some more listening. 

I think I know what you have on mind.  Let me know when you head over there again.

Scott

Big Red Machine

« Reply #161 on: 23 Dec 2011, 02:29 am »
I'm hoping to be there Mon or Tues based on Jim getting that one pair up and running.  I'd like to get them here and run through my gear to see what they can do.

Nuance

« Reply #162 on: 24 Dec 2011, 05:16 pm »
Do keep us posted, Pete...well, provided Jim gives the okay.  Have a great Christmas all!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #163 on: 31 Dec 2011, 12:43 am »
Well the HT2's departed:

The next pair order has begun.  Stay tuned!!

Kinger

« Reply #164 on: 31 Dec 2011, 12:48 am »
I know that guy :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #165 on: 31 Dec 2011, 01:00 am »
I know that guy :)

Still in the "family."

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #166 on: 31 Dec 2011, 01:58 am »
what's the painter's tape on the tweeter for?  Just curious...

kip_

« Reply #167 on: 31 Dec 2011, 02:16 am »
what's the painter's tape on the tweeter for?  Just curious...

I think it's to protect the ribbon element. My fountek tweeters came with something similar.

srb

« Reply #168 on: 31 Dec 2011, 02:39 am »
I think it's to protect the ribbon element. My fountek tweeters came with something similar.

As sweet as the pure aluminum ribbons can sound, they are fragile and can be affected by external air sources.  A young child blowing into it (or an audiophile trying to blow out dust!), a strong fan too close to the element, or putting them out on the patio while you're painting the living room and a strong wind kicks up .... can all stretch and deform the ~ .01mm thick nearly massless delicate aluminum ribbon.

Steve
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2011, 04:24 am by srb »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #169 on: 16 Feb 2012, 02:49 am »
Building new cables with these very cool Bocchino B19 connectors. 

These are very easy to work with.  A pass through to fed the center pin and separate cavity for the shell connections, each with their own set screws.

Solid copper - the write-up on them:

Both the center pin and body are machined from 100% pure solid C110 copper billet on a CNC lathe.

The center pin is plated with 3 microns of silver and then 3 microns of gold then fully polished and the body is plated with 3 microns of silver and then another 3 microns of silver and it too is fully polished. The silver sub-plating prevents the copper from leaching through to the outer plating. This is an extremely time consuming and expensive process and basically makes these connectors fine jewelry.

No solder - all done with stainless steel non-magnetic set screws.

The sound combines the body of copper, the color and texture of gold and the speed, detail and air of silver.

kip_

« Reply #170 on: 6 Mar 2012, 01:26 am »
So now that the cat's out of the bag... what finish are you getting your Soundscape 8's in, BRM?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #171 on: 6 Mar 2012, 03:22 pm »
So now that the cat's out of the bag... what finish are you getting your Soundscape 8's in, BRM?

A brittle PITA highly figured veneer not seen very often from across one of the ponds. :rock: :inlove:

Nuance

« Reply #172 on: 6 Mar 2012, 05:25 pm »
A brittle PITA highly figured veneer not seen very often from across one of the ponds. :rock: :inlove:

I saw it, and it's awesome!  Pete has good taste. :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #173 on: 6 Mar 2012, 05:45 pm »

Better known as Japanese Tamo Ash.

- Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #174 on: 23 Mar 2012, 02:28 pm »
Coming soon.  I picked a dye color.  Well, my SO made the choice actually.  Jim and Luis gave me about a dozen samples to chose from and it was way more difficult than the veneer choice.  A clear finish to that veneer was deemed too boring, so color shopping we did go.  So not a painted finish as the other pair just completed, but a color that allowed the grain to still pop.   :dance:

Nuance

« Reply #175 on: 23 Mar 2012, 03:29 pm »
Coming soon.  I picked a dye color.  Well, my SO made the choice actually.  Jim and Luis gave me about a dozen samples to chose from and it was way more difficult than the veneer choice.  A clear finish to that veneer was deemed too boring, so color shopping we did go.  So not a painted finish as the other pair just completed, but a color that allowed the grain to still pop.   :dance:

How could you post this and NOT tell us what you ended up choosing?  You're such a tease! :lol:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #176 on: 23 Mar 2012, 03:36 pm »
How could you post this and NOT tell us what you ended up choosing?  You're such a tease! :lol:

That's Jim's job - to post the speakers when they are done.  They may get shot today and assembled early next week.  I probably cannot pick them up until next weekend.  I have to pick up my shelves from him and re-assemble my room before that since I had the team paint all my maple shelves black.  My room looks like a bomb went off in it with electronics and cables lying everywhere.  Shameful.

Nuance

« Reply #177 on: 23 Mar 2012, 11:12 pm »
That's Jim's job - to post the speakers when they are done.  They may get shot today and assembled early next week.  I probably cannot pick them up until next weekend.  I have to pick up my shelves from him and re-assemble my room before that since I had the team paint all my maple shelves black.  My room looks like a bomb went off in it with electronics and cables lying everywhere.  Shameful.

The wait is killing me!  You'd think they were my speakers or something. :?  Anyway, I am glad you came up with a solid choice and look forward to your full review and pictures.  Just think, you could have your new babies in just over a week!  How awesome is that?! :thumb:

Good luck getting the room cleaned up.  I know what that's like, and while it can be daunting it'll all be worth it.  T-minus 188 hours (give or take)!

drgn95

« Reply #178 on: 24 Mar 2012, 02:52 am »
The wait is killing ME as well. I'm in line here somewhere, nearly eight weeks, then shipping. Had to move the subs to different locations to make room for the new Salks. I may have gone overboard (if there is such a thing) but once dialed in I should be damn happy. Looking forward to pics of BRM's new Salk addition.     

Big Red Machine

« Reply #179 on: 24 Mar 2012, 12:47 pm »
Well, not an original finish to be sure.  And not one most would choose.  More in line with what fits my all around equipment set-up.  But certainly in contrast to the first pair shipped. :thumb:

I'll also be getting a new power conditioner next week Thursday.  It lists for more dough than the SS8's but, of course, I did not pay that much.  It better damn work as advertised!

I'm also considering a Zodiac dac.  I don't need the features of the Gold and it seems the Plus version would be just fine.  Anyone got one I can audition?  I'd hate to part ways with my EE dac prematurely.

Probably appropriate I called this the system change thread.