Apple TV time to have a serious discussion.

jparkhur

Re: Apple TV time to have a serious discussion.
« Reply #20 on: 8 Apr 2011, 06:37 pm »
How is the quality of the Apple TV 2 with the "computer sending" it information from iTunes and than out audio through HDMI.  Is it using the dac on the computer or the one inside your processor where the HDMI is coming in to? 

Thanks...  Interesting, My Apple Airport Express outputs digital optics, but jitter is crazy bad, but works in to a dac..

skunark

« Reply #21 on: 8 Apr 2011, 09:32 pm »
If you strictly use HDMI for both audio and video the jitter will be from the Pre/Pro or TV.   Like the bulk of video standards, HDMI uses the blanking phase of the video frame to transmit the audio.  So the function of jitter is at the pre/pro or TV on how it extracts the audio and times it for a given clock.    You can use the optical output of the Apple TV but for that case it will be no different than any other source that has jitter on it's spdif outputs.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #22 on: 9 Apr 2011, 03:50 am »
My gen 1 ATV was $20 well spent, Even just for the ability to show the wife's latest photos on the big screen.

Apple's recent signing up for 12 PB of cloud storage is likely a presage of something big happening. Rumours include Apple devoring Netflix.

dave

chrisby

« Reply #23 on: 11 Apr 2011, 04:48 pm »
My gen 1 ATV was $20 well spent, Even just for the ability to show the wife's latest photos on the big screen.

Apple's recent signing up for 12 PB of cloud storage is likely a presage of something big happening. Rumours include Apple devoring Netflix.

dave

yikes, I hope the  fees don't skyrocket overnight - $8 / mo has gotta be the best value in  home movies right now  - less than the sales tax on our total Shaw ('phone/net/HD TV) package (heck some of the "value added" features on cel phone plans cost that much)

my son visited over the weekend, and we now cumulative have iMac/2 MacBooks, 2 iPhones ( I decided to wait for the iPad - probably 3 by the time I'm ready) AppleTV/AEx and TimeMachine

playing dueling remotes selecting between multiple home libraries and pushing directly from the phone (including games)  to the ATV/AEx was just way too much fun

edit

then while watching TV, my wife catches one of the new iPad commercials, and asks - "you want one of those, don't you?"  - not realizing that by the time you fully kit up a new 32GB iP4 with decent protection sleeve, AppleCare (don't leave home without it) and car charger you're close to the price of the entry level iPad 

wgscott

« Reply #24 on: 22 Apr 2011, 01:15 am »
On a whim, I replaced a dead Airport Express that fed optical out to my (pre-airplay) Zeppelin in my bedroom with an Apple TV2.  Except for setup, I don't have it attached to a TV.  Nevertheless, the functionality blows the AE out of the water.  Optical out is 48kHz only, but it sounds perfectly fine in conjunction with my Zeppelin.  This allows me, using an iPod touch or iPad with Apple's Remote.app, to play music from my library on my main server.

Although most normal human beings would also attach this to a TV via HDMI, I just wanted to make clear that as a zone music player, this thing works really well.  It will kill Sonos.