PC as a source

moltosolo

PC as a source
« Reply #40 on: 19 May 2004, 07:26 pm »
Unless you are going to do some upsampling/oversampling task, you don't need much CPU power.
I got a P4 2.4C 800 with 512mb x 2 RAM. It takes 20%~25% of my CPU power when running EMU 1212M upsampling to 192K with fixed 32bit.

Carlman

PC as a source
« Reply #41 on: 19 May 2004, 07:27 pm »
Quote from: moltosolo
Unless you are going to do some upsampling/oversampling task, you don't need much CPU power.
I got a P4 2.4C 800 with 512mb x 2 RAM. It takes 20%~25% of my CPU power when running EMU 1212M upsampling to 192K with fixed 32bit.

So, how's it sound?  Have you compared your setup to anything?

-C

moltosolo

PC as a source
« Reply #42 on: 19 May 2004, 09:48 pm »
Before EMU 1212M, I was using RME 96/8 PAD.
I did compare RME with a few cd players, such as Arcam CD23t, modded Sony SCD555ES, lightly modded Philips 963SA. RME sounds better than the 963SA, and at least in the same level with the 555ES and CD23t. I remember prefer the CD23t more but the difference was small in my system.
I ended up with the computer setup because of the convenience.
EMU is a bit shy on the bass compare to RME, but it got a smoother top to my ear.
For the price, EMU is hard to beat.

Carlman

PC as a source
« Reply #43 on: 20 May 2004, 12:52 am »
Interesting... so the RME is in the same ballpark as the CD23t... hmmm... and the EMU isn't better.  I really appreciate the honest feedback.  

I have not heard the CD23t but I have heard several Arcam's including the Alpha 8SE which I thought was OK and not any better than a Marantz 4300.  Pretty much every CDP I've heard under 1,k renders music believably the same... which is not very convincing.

My all time CD reference, the BAT cd Vk5, sells for 4500 new and sounds different than any other player I've ever heard.  It's like a great record player with no pops or scratches.  No perceivable digital sound at all... I wonder if I can get the Audio PC close...  If not, they show up used in the mid-teens every once in a while... like now.  If only times were different..

Anyway, sounds like the Audio PC is something that can compare to 2,k (new) range very well... still something to consider... The Audio PC is still almost half of the used BAT.  So, I'm still gonna do it... I think I was building it up to more than its capabilities, though.  How deflating... ;)

Thanks,
Carl

Hantra

PC as a source
« Reply #44 on: 20 May 2004, 01:27 am »
I think I was building it up to more than its capabilities, though. How deflating...

I wouldn't say that.  Although I haven't heard the BAT, I have heard many, many, many digital front ends.  I've heard at least a dozen which cost 2x what the BAT does, and I am convinced that a properly setup PC with a sound card will beat 95% of all of them.

The only front end I have heard that I like better are the Linn CD-12.  And until I can buy that, and a pair of Klimax monos, I am cool with the PC.   :lol:

BTW, I would really really like to hear that setup molto is talking about.  I have heard many Arcam players, from the 23, 73, 62, to the Alpha series.  They are great players.  I would not trade my audio PC for them though.

I think the thing people don't understand about all this is how HUGE small changes can really be with the PC.  For example, the power cord is a HUGE factor in determining sound quality.  Moreso than a CDP IMO.  Also, the method of playback, filters, word length, and upsampling have a massive effect on the sound as well.  

It's really a trial and error thing.  I can make my audio PC sound like crap too if I use Media Player instead of Foobar, with no ReplayGain, and no upsampling.

Carlman

PC as a source
« Reply #45 on: 20 May 2004, 03:27 am »
Interesting points.  Looks like I've got some learnin' to do. ;)

I listened to my laptop plugged from the headphone output directly to the AKSA and found it quite enjoyable.  I didn't compare it to anything because my preamp was gone at that time.  But, that's when the itch started.  It makes sense to me that it *should* sound better than 95% of all cd players out there.

It appears that as always, careful attention to setup is required.  I really don't like trial and error methods.  I don't know when I'm done.  But, I'll grin and bear it.  I'm really excited about building it.  I've decided on most of the gear associated... there may be a few tweaks before it's all ordered but I'm very happy with the price and setup so far.

By the time this PC gets built, I should also have a Bel Canto evo2i.  I will be comparing that to the AKSA/Eastern Electric Minimax combo I'm using now.... which sounds very good.  Whichever gets it right will stay.  Either way, I'll have one small cube of gear.  I'm very happy about that.

Well... I'll tune out for now... just got to wait for a few more paychecks and get some work done... then I'll get to see what an AudioPC can do for me. :)

JoshK

PC as a source
« Reply #46 on: 8 Jul 2004, 03:42 pm »
For those of you who are using their PC as their source with a sound card are you using your PC for volume control or using a preamp?   Can you use the PC for VC with any good results?

ooheadsoo

PC as a source
« Reply #47 on: 8 Jul 2004, 08:54 pm »
I'm using a tube pre with my emu 1212m.

For what it's worth, at a recent so-cal head-fi meet, many members directly compared the emu1212m modded and unmodded to the meridian 508 and 588.  The general consensus was that the stock emu1212m beat the meridian 508 with a smoother top end (the 508 was harsh in comparison) and that the modded emu was very close to the 588.  The headphone amps being used were the balanced gilmore reference, v1, grace 901, possibly an hp4.  I don't think any Ray Samuels amps or Singlepower amps were used in the comparison, though that may have changed during the meet.  Headphones used included the senn 600, 650, 595, sony cd3000, r10, grado hp1/2, ps1, akg k1000, etc.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the forsight to do the direct comparison myself, though I was impressed with the emu enough at the meet to buy one for myself ;)

Hantra

PC as a source
« Reply #48 on: 8 Jul 2004, 09:12 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
For those of you who are using their PC as their source with a sound card are you using your PC for volume control or using a preamp?   Can you use the PC for VC with any good results?

No! :nono:

As a matter of fact, it is horrible!  When I first hooked it up, I was running without a pre.  My friend Jason brought over his SA-250 MkIV, and when we put it in place of my 8200MkII, I felt really BAD for my boy Jason.  He was like "Umm, can I use your PC to list this on Audiogon RIGHT NOW, and get me an 8200?"  :lol:

So then, following Scott Nixon's advice (which I shoulda done in the first freaking place), I borrowed a passive pre, and that was DRAMATIC.  You must leave the volume on the sound card all the way max.  It wasn't until the passive went in, that we heard what the 250 was capable of, and it just flat out EMBARRASSED the 8200MkII.  

I am still using that passive, and am on the hunt for a cost effective great pre.

HTH,

B