The Frugals are coming

Poultrygeist

Re: The Frugals are coming
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jun 2011, 02:00 am »
To augment the low end of the FH Mk3 without corner loading I added these H Frame OB bass drivers and couldn't be happier with how they sound. Thank you MJK!

doorman

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jun 2011, 02:13 am »
Well done!
Having built and lived with the earlier "Frugals" + sub, I know your enjoying great sound
for a very reasonable price.
Super looking arrangement!
Best,
don

Poultrygeist

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jun 2011, 02:43 am »
Thanks Don. The nice thing about the Frugal/H Frame Eminence Alpha combo is the bass sounds more musical, more natural and less like the plodding subs I've owned that can't get out of their own way. :D

Scottmoose

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jun 2011, 04:42 pm »
Glad you're enjoying them. Makes it all worthwhile. :^) The combination with Martin's H-frames sounds like it's a winner.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #24 on: 6 Jun 2011, 09:35 pm »
And if you are the Scott Moose of DIY fame, thank you for your hard work on the FH Mk3 design - it's a winner!

chrisby

« Reply #25 on: 7 Jun 2011, 05:43 pm »
And if you are the Scott Moose of DIY fame, thank you for your hard work on the FH Mk3 design - it's a winner!

there could/should  be only one Moose  :thumb:

TerryO

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jun 2011, 07:26 pm »

there could/should  be only one Moose  :thumb:

He "may" be Scott Moose today, but it should be remembered that in one of his former incarnation, he was none other than Steven Maturin, the famed Navel Surgeon!

In a later incarnation, I believe that he went by the name of Arthur H. Davies, skipper of the Yacht "Dulcibella."

Even today, Scott Moose manifests a strong atavistic longing to read everything he can get his hands on about Naval Warfare.

These truths are brought to you by yours truely,

Dr. Darwin A. Ward
Professor, Dept. of Phantasmology

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #27 on: 7 Jun 2011, 09:33 pm »
Hi Poultrygeist,those speakers look great.Are they made from a design you found or invented?I myself,am going to try building a Voigt/Weems pipe enclosure as seen in Speakerbuilder and AudioXpress.The Frugals look to me like an upside down version of the Weems pipe which is a cross between a transmission line and horn and lots of loose polyfill.Am The Weems pipe's opening was at the bottom of the enclosure on the front panel,while yours seems to be at the top and rear.I'm just curious....great pictures and project......Mark Korda!

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #28 on: 7 Jun 2011, 09:38 pm »
Hi Poultrygeist,I looked at the pictures again and it looks like the port is on the bottom facing rear making me think more of the Weems pipe.....Mark Korda

doorman

« Reply #29 on: 7 Jun 2011, 10:04 pm »
He "may" be Scott Moose today, but it should be remembered that in one of his former incarnation, he was none other than Steven Maturin, the famed Navel Surgeon!

In a later incarnation, I believe that he went by the name of Arthur H. Davies, skipper of the Yacht "Dulcibella."

Even today, Scott Moose manifests a strong atavistic longing to read everything he can get his hands on about Naval Warfare.

These truths are brought to you by yours truely,

Dr. Darwin A. Ward
Professor, Dept. of Phantasmology
Well, thats a (ahem) "Surprise"!!
don

Poultrygeist

« Reply #30 on: 8 Jun 2011, 12:18 am »
Mark,

Here are the Beta Doc. Mk3 plans that I used to build mine.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/beta/FH-Mk3-betaDoc-251010.pdf

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #31 on: 8 Jun 2011, 05:39 am »
Hi Poultrygeist,you went above and beyond to show me the layout of your speakers.They must be based on David Weems pipe designs.Speaker Builder Two/87 and the book I got in my hand,by Weems.Thanks,check out Weems Pipes on Google....some one said they can go to 30 hertz and rattle stuff with a 6/1/2 inch woofer in a small room.....I never get to use my sub woofer in my small abode until my landlord goes away for the holidays....Mark K.

chrisby

Scottmoose

« Reply #34 on: 8 Jun 2011, 10:27 pm »
Well, thats a (ahem) "Surprise"!!
don

Just so long as you look after the sloth. ;^)

Scottmoose

« Reply #35 on: 8 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm »
Hi Poultrygeist,you went above and beyond to show me the layout of your speakers.They must be based on David Weems pipe designs.Speaker Builder Two/87 and the book I got in my hand,by Weems.Thanks,check out Weems Pipes on Google....some one said they can go to 30 hertz and rattle stuff with a 6/1/2 inch woofer in a small room.....I never get to use my sub woofer in my small abode until my landlord goes away for the holidays....Mark K.

Nope, no Weems involvement at all. Ground up tapped hypex back-horn with an internal choke.

FYI, Weems's sketchy design guidelines (mostly derived from Voigt's 1934 patent) are well off the mark, assuming you want an optimally performing enclosure, so I would strongly advise you to do some further research before trying to build anything based on it. Best place to start: www.quarter-wave.com

Ultralight

« Reply #36 on: 22 Jun 2011, 06:18 am »
I take it for nearfield you'd take the Frugals over the Lores?  And for normal listening Lores over this? 

UL

Poultrygeist

« Reply #37 on: 22 Jun 2011, 01:00 pm »
I haven't heard the Lores but I have the Zu Omens which are probably similar. The Omens lack the nice detail of the Mk3 but compensate with their big lovable sound and great bass.

Speakers are an exercise in compromise. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses and that's why I strive to have a variety. Vive la difference each speaker brings to the table.

With the Mk3 build I now have the most common examples of the full range driver implementation and I enjoy them all.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #38 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:01 pm »
I built some last weekend with the Alpai A7 eN:

Fantastic speaker! Unreal bass from a 3" driver.
Oh and the wifey says 'they are cute'.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #39 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:34 pm »
Fantastic speaker! Unreal bass from a 3" driver.
Oh and the wifey says 'they are cute'.

Jared,

:)

Classified as a 4".

Always good when wife approves.

Did you use any damping below the driver?