VW reliabilty

drphoto

VW reliabilty
« on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:07 am »
I'm sick of driving trucks and vans and want a 'hot hatch'. I was leaning toward the Mazda 3 (pre 'smiley face') but lately have been lusting over a Gen 5 VW GTI or TDI. But I've heard they have a lot of issues (particularly electrical) and all repairs are expensive. My long time mechanic told me to stay away.

Anyone have experience or comments? I just love the look of the newer Golfs, they have really nice interiors and are a hoot to drive.

TONEPUB

Re: VW reliabilty
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:15 am »
Ive got a New Beetle 1.8T, which I believe is pretty similar to the Golf, if not identical in the drivetrain and I've had nothing but great luck.  I change the oil every 5000 mi with Mobil 1 and do all the other normal stuff (chg. break fluid and coolant every two years, rotate tires religiously) and runs like a clock. 77,000 trouble free miles so far.

I've got a couple of friends with TT's and A4's also having the motor, with no bad stuff either. 

Before that, I've had a few earlier generation Golfs and again, the only problem I ever had was the rear (drum) brakes in my wife's 99 Cabrio always squealed and the dealer said "there was nothing they could do about it, they all had that problem...."

So far, repairs have been few and reasonable.  Regular maintenance items have been much less on the VW than they were on my Toyota RAV4, or current Hyundai Tucson.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:16 am »
No idea about the newer VWs but the worst car I ever owned was an 81 Rabbit. Conversely, one of the best cars I owned was a VW Quantum TDI, that thing ran forever. Comfortable and fast.

Delta Wave

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:27 am »
I've always owned VW's until my current car(07 Shelby GT). I put well over 100000 miles on my 02 GTI that I bought new and the only issue I ever had was a window mechanism recall. I had it beyond 140 mph on multiple occasions, a teensy bit of torque-steer though. They're solid cars, handle very well and very reliable. They're also pretty cheap to maintain... they're the best selling auto maker in the world and parts are a plenty. They've always been easy to work on as well. I had a 77' Scirocco I built to race, one of the best handling cars I've ever driven. The electrical issues were pretty prevalent in the 80's but I never had an issue with my last few. My other ride is a 04 Audi A4 Quattro, it's mint with zero issues sans a coil recall. It's basically a premium VW Passat. The new Audi A3 is on a Golf/GTI platform but you can't get the Quattro in a manual. 

So yes, VW's are the s#*t.

PMAT

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:45 am »
I sell the new GTI's and no problems have risen from any customer. They all love their cars. I have been moving them for two years and all is well so far. I was a Honda manager for 11 years before that and had similar results. The difference is that the GTI's have SOUL! All cars are a risk. Which one makes you smile?

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:53 am »
We have an Audi A3 2.0t (35k) and a VW Sportwagen TDi (5k) and so far both have been great. No, the cost of oil changes isn't $17 like on my wife's CR-V, but they both a blast to drive and the Honda is well, um, it's simply boring. What's that worth to you?

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2011, 02:14 am »
Thanks guys. Good to hear. Car and Driver said that anyone who like cars should own a GTI least once in their life time.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2011, 02:39 am »
I've owned a Passat (used) for a year and although I really like the car, there have been some alternator issues that were very, very expensive.  Twice the cost of any other car I've replaced the alternator on.  Additionally they have a barely fair repair record overall on CR.  If you're looking for a great driving car and can live with some maintenance issues and higher parts replacement cost, I recommend the VW's.  If you're looking for a Honda like reliability, well, buy a Honda.

Crimson

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2011, 02:58 am »
I had a 225 quattro TT for just under 5 years. No issues and an absolute blast to drive.

EthanH

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2011, 03:12 am »
A number of friends have owned VWs, and I had one years ago.  In my experience stupid things break, such as water pumps, window roll up modules, electrical stuff, etc., and the replacement parts are expensive.  Granted, these were mostly a number of late 90's-early 00's GTIs and a Jetta, so maybe they've improved their reliability since then.  I loved the VR6, but all of the above has led me to stay away from VW.  YMMV, of course.

TONEPUB

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2011, 03:52 am »
Thanks guys. Good to hear. Car and Driver said that anyone who like cars should own a GTI least once in their life time.

I'd definitely agree with that, I've certainly loved mine!  I drove a good friend's current GTI and I'd be just as happy with that car as a Porsche 911. (and I've owned six Porsches over the years)

The great thing about a GTI is it is a TON of fun to drive between 20 and 100 and that's where you are stuck driving most of the time.

gary

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2011, 04:08 am »
I have a 2008 GLI, and it's been a complete piece of shit for me. The DSG transmission was replaced after taking it in about 3 times (basically I would pull into traffic in Dallas and when it tried to go from 2nd to 3rd it would instead go into neutral and I'd lose all power). The turbo was the other big problem, which required about 5 trips to service before it was finally replaced. Basically the same situation, I'd pull into traffic and instead of a 2.0L turbo I had a normally aspirated engine that gave me about 120HP. Not fun. My other gripe, albeit not one that wouldn't have killed me, is that the leather seats in the Autobahn package are lousy. No lower support whatsoever and the bolsters wore out.

I've heard that they only had DSG & turbo problems with the early 2008 models, and now that mine have both been replaced the car runs flawlessly. I may be a glutton for punishment but I'm actually considering a GTI when my lease ends in a couple of months. It will probably just be a manual with the base cloth interior though (Autobahn + DSG was a waste of about $6k). Everything else in the price range is kind of, 'meh'.

gary

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2011, 04:10 am »
I sell the new GTI's and no problems have risen from any customer. They all love their cars. I have been moving them for two years and all is well so far. I was a Honda manager for 11 years before that and had similar results. The difference is that the GTI's have SOUL! All cars are a risk. Which one makes you smile?

I drove the 2010 GTI 5 speed a few months ago and thought it was stellar.  It was just too small to consider for the family.  Best car I ever owned was my '91 GTI 8valve so I really have good memories of VW.

Hey PMAT - I test drove it at Hansel-Prestige Motors - not sure if that's your dealership or not? :scratch:

drphoto - it just so happens that  the annual Consumer Reports on Best & Worse Cars came in a few days ago.  The 2010 GTI is rated as average reliability; the Golf as MUCH better than average reliability.

Body integrity was the only are of concern on either model - both had the highest grades for electrical issues (or, lack of them)

So, I wouldn't walk away from buying one on the basis of reliability as that seems to be quite good  :thumb:

John

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2011, 05:50 am »
I own an 2006 Audi A3, which is a VW in a fancy suit.  I love it. 

Are German cars as reliable as Japanese cars?  Nope, I've had a few problems with mine, but nothing too bad, and to me, it's been worth the headaches as it's well made, quiet, and really fun to drive. 

TONEPUB, you'd be as happy with a GTI as you would be with a 911?  Heh, not me!  How about a 911 turbo?  ;-)

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2011, 12:11 pm »
Sounds like a good car to lease from a dealer that gives you a loaner when your car is in the shop. Then you'll have a predictable cost of ownership, except for the speeding tickets.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2011, 12:16 pm »
I've owned approx. 30 cars in my lifetime. This 2000 Mk IV Jetta was the worst car I've ever owned, period. Electrical gremlins, slipping transmission, car left me and my wife both stranded at different times. Never again.  :duh:
When it was running, the VR6 engine exhaust note was wonderful though.

Blackmore

« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2011, 12:19 pm »
Wife drives a 2000 New Beetle (millennium bug :lol:) TDI that has 276,000 on it and hasn't had one major repair.  It has to last until the 2012 Beetle comes out with a diesel.  48 mpg

I drive a 2003 Jetta TDI that blew its motor at 103,000.  Cam follower came apart and took out the camshaft which drove the valves into the pistons.... We replaced the motor and I'm at 180,000.  52 mpg.

Repairs and maintenance are pricey, but we both love driving these cars. 

baldrick

« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:52 pm »
I had a 1998 Beetle TDI and put 275,000 miles on it before I sold it.
It had a turbo failure at about 70,000 but after replacement it ran trouble free.
The usual high mileage problems exist of course, but these I consider normal wear and tear - worn suspension, ball joints, brakes, rotors...
45 - 50 mpg, 700 miles per tank, fast, smooth and quiet.  Perfect.

sts9fan

« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2011, 02:12 pm »
I drive an 03 Golf TDI with ~170k on it.  Needed a new turbo at 110k but other then that its been great.  Obviously normal high mile stuff.  50mpg!

PMAT

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2011, 02:21 pm »
Hey John I was there!  :D Ships passing in the night. Next time your in look for the black BMW hat. That's me. I do mostly BMW now.
Cheers