NEW GREEN RECORD CLEANING MACHINE......

Wayner

NEW GREEN RECORD CLEANING MACHINE......
« on: 12 Mar 2011, 06:03 pm »
Bored to tears today because of the sucky weather, I finished a project that was on my mind for some time. This is the greenest RCM you can get. Rotation is totally by hand, drying done with a towel. It's simply an old platter I had laying around, with the bearing strapped to a heavy wood cutting board.

I'm using a mixture of 1 oz to 1 gallon of Othrobiz's "Biz-Wiz", putting a few drops on the record surface, spinning the platter by hand and scrubbing the grooves with an old soft pad type record cleaning brush.

After I've gone around it a bunch of times, I simply towel off the record with a soft cotton hand towel until dry. Records come out nice and clean.

Wayner

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Re: NEW GREEN RECORD CLEANING MACHINE......
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2011, 07:14 pm »
Looks good!!  I thought at first that you had a vacuum system of some sort with the picture of the hose going in the PVC pipe.  Then I realized you that you must have your cleaner on the washing machine. :lol:

Randy

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2011, 07:29 pm »
Yeah, it's in the laundry room, in between the laundry sink and the wash machine. I will say for a bunch of junk basically slapped together, it works pretty good.

Wayner 8)

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2011, 09:34 pm »
Bored to tears today because of the sucky weather, I finished a project that was on my mind for some time. This is the greenest RCM you can get. Rotation is totally by hand, drying done with a towel. It's simply an old platter I had laying around, with the bearing strapped to a heavy wood cutting board.

I'm using a mixture of 1 oz to 1 gallon of Othrobiz's "Biz-Wiz", putting a few drops on the record surface, spinning the platter by hand and scrubbing the grooves with an old soft pad type record cleaning brush.

Looks sort of like what I'm doing now, only I use an RCM brush to spread the fluid, and a vacuum + towel to dry.

If you cleaned a different record, like an old Columbia, it wouldn't look so green, except maybe for that discoloration on the cutting board.    :wink:

Think I'll try an experiment with playing a record wet. I'll clean it first with dish soap and water and leave it on there. Maybe I'll be able to make bubbles when I play the record. Pretty cool idea heh? If it works I'll apply for a patent - Record player/Bubble machine. It will probably involve some experimentation with the wetting formula. I might have to add some of that stuff kids use to blow bubbles. It should be great for relieving some audiophool stress. 8)
neo

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2011, 11:43 pm »

Wayner a little DIY. A hockey puck and a wooden knob with a hole in the center
slightly smaller to push over the spindle to spin and hold the LP secure

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2011, 03:01 am »
The laundry room sounds like a great place to clean LPs!  :thumb:

Yeah, it's in the laundry room, in between the laundry sink and the wash machine. I will say for a bunch of junk basically slapped together, it works pretty good.

Wayner 8)

sanlanman

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2011, 01:25 pm »
Wayner
I think your old record brush looks like the box top/brush from the old Ball Soundguard treatment system. Yes? It sure looks like mine.

PS: I like pumpkinmans handle idea. Being in the deep south, hockey pucks are scarce, but i did find 2 of them at the flea market. I think I will try P-man's idea.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2011, 02:39 pm »
Wayner, WAY too much time on your hands.  :roll: love it.

charles